Best Pokemon Unite Blastoise Build: Moveset, Held Items & Stats
The best Pokemon Unite Blastoise build utilizes the right moveset, Held Items, and Battle Items to kick the ’mon’s defences up a notch.
In Pokemon Unite, the Defender role consists of fighters who are meant to protect their teammates, and Blastoise’s moveset allows the ‘mon to do just that with a focus on status effects and crowd control abilities.
The popular water-type Squirtle evolution uses its tanky defensive shell to absorb damage while using its torrent of water attacks to leave enemies paralyzed, and is fantastic with the right Held Items and moves. This guide will take a look at the best Pokemon Unite Blastoise moveset for the free-to-play multiplayer.
- Best Blastoise build Pokemon Unite
- Blastoise moveset
- Blastoise Pokemon Unite items
- Blastoise stats
- Blastoise evolution level
- How to unlock Blastoise in Pokemon Unite
- Blastoise Holowear skins
- Best pairs for Blastoise in Pokemon Unite
From Held Items to the best abilities that make up its moveset, here is everything you need to know about turning Blastoise into one of the most disruptive Defenders in Pokemon Unite.
|Move||Unlocked At||Upgrade Level|
|Water Gun (Ranged)||Level 1||Level 4: Upgrades into either Hydro Pump or Water Spout.|
|Hydro Pump (Ranged)||Level 5||Level 11: The move’s damage is increased.|
|Surf (Dash)||Level 7||Level 13: Blastoise gets a shield when this move hits.|
|Hydro Typhoon (Unite Move)||Level 9||–|
At the beginning of the match, Trainers should choose Water Gun first as it acts as a strong ranged attack to keep enemies at a distance. Once in your lane, you can use it to hit opposing players as the move also decreases their speed. This is great for slowing down escape attempts. The second move you will get is Skull Bash which paralyzes anyone that it hits. Using these two abilities back to back is a deadly combination.
When Squirtle evolves into Wartortle at Level 5, we recommend choosing Hydro Pump. This powerful attack not only dishes out a large amount of damage, but it also has a Shove status effect which can be used to knock players off your goal zone. The move can be used both for interrupting goals, as well shoving players around in team fights. Hydro Pump can even be used to snipe min-bosses such as Drednaw or Zapdos.
After hitting Level 7, make sure to choose Surf as your final ability. Just like Slowbro, the move will act as a form of crowd control. You will use the move to dive into groups of enemies to shove and disrupt them. The upgraded version at Level 13 also gives you a shield, making Blastoise an even tankier defense.
In the late game, players should be using the upgraded version of Surf to crash into team fights such as Zapdos, before popping off its Unite move Hydro Typhoon.
|Held Item||What it Does||Max Stat Boosts|
|Buddy Barrier||When the Pokemon uses its Unite Move, that ‘mon and the nearby ally with the lowest HP are each granted a shield equal to 40% of their max HP.||HP + 600|
|Focus Band||When the Pokemon drops to low HP, then each second for three seconds, it recovers 8% of the HP it had lost.||Def + 30
Sp. Def + 30
|Muscle Band||When basic attacks hit, the damage is increased 3% of the opposing Pokemon’s remaining HP.||Attack + 15
Basic Attack Speed +7.5%
- Buddy Barrier: Buddy Barrier has perfect synergy with Blastoise’s Unite move, Hydro Typhoon, as it gives the Pokemon multiple shields that stack. The Held Item also grants the Defender 600 HP at max level, truly making the Kanto starter a tank.
- Focus Band: Because Blastoise will be diving into enemies regularly with its Surf ability, Focus Band will give the Defender enough extra survivability to escape each encounter. The add-on gives the tanky turtle that little extra HP to stay alive.
- Muscle Band: Although the Water-type will mainly be used to stun and disrupt, Muscle Band will add extra damage to its Hydro Pump and Surf attacks. The Held Item will also give the Gen I character more power to its basic attack which really adds up over time.
|Battle Item||What it Does||Unlocked At|
|Full Heal||Removes all status conditions and makes your Pokemon immune to hindrances for a short time.||Trainer Level 14|
|Eject Button||Quickly moves your Pokemon in the designated direction.||Trainer Level 11|
- Full Heal: Because Blastoise will mainly be used for stunning and disrupting opposing team players, Full Heal can be used to protect you when diving into enemies. The Battle Item will ensure that you don’t get stunned and have your own moves interrupted.
- Eject Button: The second item we recommend is Eject Button. Since Blastoise is a bulky Defender that will constantly be throwing itself into battle, Eject Button combined with Focus Band will allow you to escape and live to see another battle.
|Level||HP||Attack||Defense||Special Attack||Special Defense||Speed|
Trainers will have to work their way to the tanky turtle, as the Pokemon has three evolution stages. Squirtle evolves starting at Level 5, with Wartortle evolving into Blastoise at Level 9.
|Squirtle (Level 1)||Wartortle (Level 5)||Blastoise (Level 9)|
To unlock Blastoise in Pokemon Unite, there are two different methods available:
- Purchase it with 8,000 Aeos Coins from the Unite Battle Committee Shop.
- Purchase it with 3460 Aeos Gems from the Unite Battle Committee Shop.
Blastoise currently has two Holowear skins available in Pokemon Unite. The Firefighter Style is available for 1,200 Aeo Gems, whereas the Fashionable Style can be purchased for a much cheaper price of 400 Aeos Gems.
While Blastoise’s Fashionable Style is a simple reskin (and a very fancy one, at that), equipping the Firefighter Style Holowear will provide the ‘mon with some unique KO and movement animations.
|Fashionable Style||Firefighter Style|
As a Defender Pokemon, taking Blastoise into battle alongside Attackers such as Greninja, Cinderace, or Pikachu is a great choice, allowing both to benefit from the other. The move Surf is perfect to utilize as a form of crowd control, giving any Attacker mon an inning to dive in and do some real damage.
So, there you have it – that’s everything you need to know about Blastoise’s best build, Battle Items, and Held Items in Pokemon Unite.
For more tips and tricks on becoming the ultimate Pokemon Unite player, check out our guides below:
Absol | Alolan Ninetails | Blissey | Cinderace | Cramorant | Crustle | Eldegoss | Gardevoir | Gengar | Greedent |Greninja | Lucario | Machamp | Mamoswine | Mr Mime | Pikachu | Slowbro | Snorlax | Wigglytuff | Venusaur | Zeraora | How to play All-Rounders | How to play Attackers | How to play Defenders | How to play Supporters | How to play Speedsters | How to unlock Zeraora | All Held Items & what they do |