With the right build, Gengar can be an absolute powerhouse in Pokemon Unite. Here are the best Held Items, Battle Items, and moveset to scare your opponents into submission.
The Speedster role in Pokemon Unite gives teams a class of fighters that can quickly move around the map and deal great damage. Gengar has already become one of the best characters for the mid-lane due to its devastating abilities.
This guide will take a look at the Ghost-type’s best build in the TiMi Studios MOBA on Switch and mobile, including the items and moves you should be using to turn the Kanto favorite into an absolute nightmare for your opponents.
- Best moveset for Gengar
- Best Held Items for Gengar
- Best Battle Items for Gengar
- Gengar stats
- Gengar evolution level
- How to unlock Gengar
Best Gengar build in Pokemon Unite
Whether you’re looking for the best moveset or the Held Items and Battle Items that will take you straight to victory, we’ve put together everything you need to know to maximize Gengar’s potential.
|Will-O-Wisp||Level 1||Level 5: Transforms into Shadow Ball or Sludge Bomb.|
|Sludge Bomb||Level 5||Level 11: Increases the poison effect’s duration.|
|Hex||Level 7||Level 13: Increases the damage dealt by Hex.|
|Phantom Ambush (UNITE Move)||Level 9||–|
At the start of the match, players should choose Will-O-Wisp over Lick. The fire attack will help you quickly melt neutral enemies in the mid-lane. The strategy for Gastly in the early parts of the game should be to jungle and grind XP to quickly reach level 5.
Once you evolve into Haunter, Trainers should pick Sludge Bomb. Not only is the ability ranged with an area of effect zone, but it also deals damage over time. This is the perfect time for players to take the Pokemon into either the top or bottom lane to flank enemies with the poison attack. The Speedster ‘mon really shines with it finally turns into Gengar and learns the move Hex at level 7.
- Read More: All Pokemon in Pokemon Unite ranked
The main strategy for the rest of the match is to splash Sludge Bomb on enemies and then pop Hex to unleash a deadly combo. Because opponents will be inflicted with poison status already, the damage for Hex is not only boosted but its cooldown is reduced to almost instant. This means you can pretty much spam Hex over and over after using Sludge Bomb, making it one of the most deadly combinations in the game.
|Held Item||Description||Max Stat Boost|
|Wise Glasses||Increases Sp. Atk by 5%.||Sp. Atk + 39|
|Shell Bell||When the Pokemon hits with a move, it recovers a minimum of 60 HP. The higher the Pokemon’s Sp. Atk, the more HP it recovers.||Sp. Atk + 24
Move Cooldown -4.5%
|Sp. Atk. Specs||Increases Sp. Atk after the Pokemon successfully scores a goal.||Sp. Atk + 24|
- Wise Glasses: Because Gengar’s core strategy revolves around the Sludge Bomb and Hex combo, players should choose the Wise GlassesHeld Item to increase its Sp. Atk. Since the character will be spamming Special Attacks, this buff is insanely useful.
- Shell Bell: Not only does Shell Bell boost the Sp. Atk stat, it also heals a substantial amount of HP. Even better, the total heal points given back are based on how high your special attack stat is, which is already buffed with Wise Glasses and Shell Bell.
- Sp. Atk. Specs: Finally, Trainers should bring the Sp. Atk. Specs into battle. Since Gengar will be scoring a lot anyways due to its speed, the item permanently increases its Sp. Atk stat each time you land a goal point.
|Eject||Moves to a specified direction immediately.||55 Seconds||Trainer Level 11|
- Eject: The best Battle Item for Gengar is up for debate, but we like the Eject Button the most. Not only does it allow the Ghost-type to escape battles not going your way, but it can also be used to pounce on enemies fleeing.
|Level||HP||Attack||Defense||Special Attack||Special Defense||Speed|
Trainers will start the match with Gastly, which evolves into Haunter at Level 5, and finally evolves into Gengar at Level 9.
|Gastly (Level 1)||Haunter (Level 5)||Gengar (Level 9)|
There are currently two ways to unlock Gengar in Pokemon Unite:
- Purchase it with 10,000 Aeos Coins in the Unite Battle Committee Shop.
- Purchase it with 575 Aeos Gems in the Unite Battle Committee Shop.
Gengar has one of the highest damage outputs in Unite with its Hex and Sludge bomb combination. Using the build we’ve listed above will make its special attacks all the more devastating on the opposing team.
Those that like to play aggressively will find the Kanto character to be incredibly rewarding. Just make sure to find the right balance of jungling neutral enemies in the mid-lane and flanking enemies in the top or bottom lane.
For more tips and tricks on becoming the ultimate Pokemon Unite player, check out the rest of our character guides below:
Absol | Alolan Ninetails | Blastoise | Blissey | Charizard | Cinderace | Cramorant | Crustle | Eldegoss | Garchomp | Gardevoir | Gengar | Greninja | Lucario | Machamp | Mr Mime | Pikachu | Slowbro | Snorlax | Talonflame | Wigglytuff | Venusaur | Zeraora | All Held Items | All Battle Items | Best settings | Badge & medals explained