LEGO Star Wars: The Skywalker Saga is the long-awaited title in the fan-favorite franchise, and we’ve got all the latest release date details, trailer, pre-order, and gameplay features right here.
Revitalizing the formula that players have come to expect in a LEGO game, players will once again be able to hop into the shoes of their most beloved characters within Star Wars’ vast universe.
The first entry in the title was released way back in 2005, with the latest instalment, The Force Awakens, dropping back in 2016. As such, the release of the game, which bundles LEGO Star Wars: The Skywalker Saga together, cannot come soon enough.
Here’s everything we know about LEGO Star Wars: The Skywalker Saga so far.
- When is the release date?
- Gameplay features
- Who is developing The Skywalker Saga?
- Lego Star Wars: The Skywalker Saga pre-order editions
After months of speculation, it’s now confirmed by Warner Bros. Games that LEGO Star Wars: The Skywalker Saga will be released on April 5, 2022.
Read More: LEGO Star Wars: The Skywalker Saga review
This comes after multiple delays to the game. After the original delay from its 2020 release date, the game was due to drop on PlayStation, Xbox, and Nintendo Switch platforms in Spring 2021.
On April 2, 2021, Traveller’s Tales revealed that it had been delayed again, with developers unable to meet the previously intended Spring 2021 release.
On release day, the game will be available to play on PC, Nintendo Switch, PlayStation 4 & 5, alongside Xbox One and Xbox Series X/S.
The Skywalker Saga introduces a slew of changes to the usual style of play associated with previous LEGO games. Here, players are able to experience any of the nine Skywalker episodes in any order that they see fit.
Not a fan of one of the stories? Skip right by it, as the game puts the choice right in your hands. The movies that have already been made into games by LEGO also receive overhauled levels – providing returning players with a fresh experience.
In a blog posted to the official Star Wars site back in May 2020, developers also confirmed that there are over 300 characters in the game, many of which are made available for play.
During our hands-on preview of the game, we got to see the likes of C-3PO, R2D2, Princess Leia, Captain Antilles, Luke Skywalker, Obi-Wan Kenobi, and even the Rancor.
Some of the features we know about are:
- 9 classes: Dark Side, Protocol Droid, Scavenger, Scoundrel, Bounty Hunter, Jedi, Hero, Villain, and Astromech
- Droids have ‘stealth’ – enemies will largely ignore them unless provoked
- Play Episodes in any order
- Each class has their own unique abilities
- Upgradeable abilities like increased health, faster sprinting, being able to see collectibles, and more
- Lots of collectibles, from Kyber Bricks to Minikits
- Mounts, puzzles, and random encounters
- Different ships to unlock
- A large Galaxy Map with different hub worlds to explore – no pressure to continue with the story mission until you’re ready
- An unlocked camera which lets you explore the scene without a fixed view
- Combos that can be strung together to fill up a meter to earn studs
- A 3rd person, over-the-shoulder, shooter-style combat for characters with Blasters
As mentioned above, another standout gameplay feature to be revealed is the Galaxy Map. This was revealed during the Gamescom 2021 Opening Night event, treating fans to a first look at the map, which we’ll be able to use to zip from planet to planet.
- Read More: Everything we know about Forspoken
The lets players fully explore iconic locations that are chock-full of well-known landmarks from the franchise, such as Ahch-To, the harsh desert of Geonosis, the murky swamps of Dagobah, and the snowfields of Starkiller Base.
A few of the locations appeared to still be unavailable, so you’ll likely have to unlock new iconic planets as you progress through the Episodes.
We’ve been treated to a slew of trailers that showcase the stunning visuals and comedic timing that are due to appear in the game.
In these glimpses, we see characters like Darth Maul, Vader, and Leia, reenvisioned in stunning next-gen detail, truly setting its mark against the older games that covered the very same movies.
Skywalker Saga announcement trailer
With iconic recreations of some of the most beloved scenes and locations in George Lucas’ tales, it tells us that players will experience all nine films in one, giant, new game.
Skywalker Saga gameplay trailer
Showcasing some fantastic game moments that harken back to cult games like Star Wars Episode I: Racer, fans are able to control Anakin’s pod, channel the force with Luke, and experience “the freedom to fully immerse yourself in the LEGO Star Wars universe like never before.”
Skywalker Saga gameplay trailer 2
A second gameplay trailer was released alongside the Spring 2022 release date reveal, showing even more iconic fan-favorite recreations from the Saga.
Continuing on with the Lego series is none other than Traveller’s Tales, who previously developed Lego Harry Potter, Lego Pirates of The Caribbean, and of course, the Star Wars titles.
- Read More: Diablo 4 release date, new enemies & more
For fans of the series, this ensures a continuation of the same style and caliber of polish that they’re used to.
With two simplified versions available for pre-order – Standard and Deluxe, players know exactly what they’re getting when looking to preorder the game.
- Standard Edition: Includes the base game.
- Deluxe Edition: Includes the base game and Character Collection bundle, introducing characters from games outside of the Skywalker Saga such as The Mandalorian, Solo: A Star Wars Story, and Rogue One: A Star Wars Story.
The retail Deluxe Editions also include an exclusive slipcover for the game box which reveals the face of Darth Vade under his mask and a Luke Skywalker Minifigure that holds a huge carton of Blue Milk. Specific locations for preordering the Deluxe Edition also offer an extra goodie – a Han Solo in Carbonite Steelbook.
- Read More: Everything we know about Dragon Age 4
This awesome item is exclusively available at select retailers, though – so be sure to get your order in! Fans can get this at Best Buy in the US and Canada, or Game in other locations such as the UK.
Fans can also get their hands on a mini kit recreation of Poe Dameron’s X-Wing by preordering a physical edition of the game via GameStop.
So, there you have it – everything we know about the upcoming LEGO Star Wars: The Skywalker Saga. Make sure to check back often, as we’ll continually update you with any new information as it drops.
For more information on upcoming games, make sure to check out our release hubs: