Pokemon‘s type effectiveness (weaknesses and strengths) feature impacts just how strong or weak a ‘mon is against another. It’s been a core part of the games since the franchise was introduced back in the 1990s, and Pokemon Sword and Shield’s type chart is no different.
In-game, the winner of a battle can often be determined by whether you correctly use type effectiveness in the best manner. Despite this, there are a few elements to still be aware of.
Whether your Pokemon’s attack is super effective or not is based on the opponent’s type and your species’ move type, not its actual type. For example, grass-types are weak against bug-type moves, but if you have a bug-type that is using the best psychic-type move, it will still be weak.
- Pokemon Sword & Shield chart table
- How many Pokemon types are there?
- Pokemon types strengths and weaknesses explained
A table listing each type’s particular strengths and weaknesses can be seen below:
How many Pokemon types are there?
Throughout all of the Pokemon series, as you can see above, there are a total of 18 types of Pokemon. As also shown above, different ‘mon have strengths and weaknesses against various types.
Pokemon type weaknesses and strengths chart explained
Despite the table above, there is actually much more to type effectiveness than meets the eye. For example:
- Super effective moves will deal double the damage, whereas ‘weak’ moves will deal half. There are also a few moves that will deal no damage at all, such as normal-type attacks against ghost-types.
- Dual-types also play an important role. Dual-type Pokemon, as the name suggests, have two types. If the move you are using is effective against both the opposing Pokemon’s typing, it will deal 4x the damage. Conversely, if the move is weak against both, then it will be just 1/4 of the overall damage.
The best example of a super-effective type attack is using a water attack against a rock and/or ground type. In this instance, Geodude (a dual rock/ground) would be 4x more susceptible against any water Pokemon attacks directed at it.
The opposite of this would occur when a Fairy-type move is used a ‘mon like Heatran, which is a dual steel/fire-type. This would result in just 1/4 of the damage.
Learning all of these strengths and weaknesses will undoubtedly take time, but utilizing our guide here when in doubt will help you on your way to becoming Galar’s number one trainer in the region!
So, there you have it. Everything you need to know about Pokemon Sword and Shield’s weaknesses and strengths type chart. Want some more tips on your way to becoming the very best? Check out our lists and guides:
How to claim Mystery Gifts | How to get all three starters without trading | Every missing Pokemon in Sword & Shield | All cutest Pokemon | Every cat ‘mon on the Pokedex | All dog Pokemon in the Pokedex | Changing the weather in Crown Tundra | Sword and Shield trade codes | Remote Raid Passes in Pokemon Go | Promo codes Pokemon Go