Pokemon Go players will finally be able to catch Roaming Form Gimmighoul following a Pokemon Presents announcement revealing its debut on the mobile app.
Pokemon fans have been catching dozens of new species in the Gen 9 games Scarlet & Violet since their release in November of 2022. When the games were preparing to launch, a teaser appeared in Pokemon Go that indicated one of the new Paldean species would have a unique relationship to the mobile app – similar to Meltan. Now Gimmighoul is finally preparing to debut for players to catch.
Gimmighoul is a unique Ghost-type species that can be found in chests scattered across the Paldea region. When defeated, it drops Gimmighoul coins, which players must amass in order to evolve it into Gholdengo.
In Scarlet & Violet, Gimmighoul is found in its chest form, but in a teaser featuring Professor Willow and Jacq, it was confirmed that Pokemon Go would introduce a Roaming Form for players to find and catch. While little was known about its eventual debut in the mobile game following Scarlet & Violet’s release, players now have new details thanks to the February 2023 Pokemon Presents live stream.
Pokemon Go players can find Roaming Form Gimmighoul
According to the Presents Livestream that aired on The Official Pokemon YouTube Channel, players have to link their Pokemon Go accounts to Pokemon Scarlet & Violet to get Gimmighoul to appear. This is similar to how players received Meltan via connectivity with Let’s Go.
Players will send postcards to Pokemon Scarlet & Violet from the gifts they receive in-game. This will, in turn, allow players to catch Roaming Form Gimmighoul in their Pokemon Go game.
Subscribe to our newsletter for the latest updates on Esports, Gaming and more.
Connectivity between Pokemon Go and Pokemon Scarlet & Violet will launch today, shortly after the Pokemon Presents.
How to get Gimmighoul in Pokemon Go
Below is a step-by-step guide on how to get Gimmighoul to appear in Pokemon Go. It requires a copy of Pokemon Scarlet & Violet as well as an in-game postcard from a Pokemon Go friend.
- Launch Pokemon Scarlet & Violet
- Open the ‘X’ menu and select ‘Pokemon Portal’
- Select ‘Mystery Gift’
- Select ‘Connect to Pokemon GO’
- Select ‘Pair with a Pokemon Go account’ if you haven’t already (you can do this once per day)
- Launch Pokemon Go
- Navigate to settings
- Scroll down to ‘Nintendo Switch’
- Select ‘Connect to Nintendo Switch’
- Select ‘Yes’ on your Nintendo Switch screen once paired
- Select ‘Connect to Pokemon GO’ in Scarlet/Violet
- Tap on your profile in Pokemon Go
- Navigate to your ‘Postcard Book’
- Select any postcard (this only works if you have pinned postcards you’ve received from a friend)
- Tap the icon with three bars and select ‘Sent to Nintendo Switch’
- Tap ‘Send,’ then ‘Yes,’ then ‘Ok’
- You will automatically receive a Coin Bag that can be found in your Items
- Tap on the Coin Bag and then select ‘Open’
- This will activate a special Incense for 30 minutes that will spawn Roaming Form Gimmighoul
- Tap them when they appear on screen and use Berries and Pokeballs to catch them
How to get Gholdengo in Pokemon Go
When players catch a Gimmighoul in Pokemon Go, they will also receive a certain number of Gimmighoul Coins. Like in Pokemon Scarlet & Violet, if players collect 999 Gimmighoul coins, they will be able to evolve their Gimmighoul into a Gholdengo.
While some may not be surprised at Gimmighoul’s arrival in Pokemon Go, thanks to recent data mines predicting its entrance, the chance to catch it will still be exciting for fans of Scarlet & Violet. It is also likely the start of further Gen 9 species debuts, which could come in future events and gameplay seasons.