Niantic has finally confirmed that Shiny Ditto is being added to Pokemon Go. The Gen I ‘mon is set to make its debut with the upcoming Kanto Tour event. Here’s how to get one.
Despite making its debut in Pokemon Go back in November 2016, the ever-elusive Ditto has yet to have its Shiny version added to the game. Now, after years of waiting, fans are about to get their wish.
On February 9, Niantic confirmed the shape-shifting ‘mon is getting its rare variant, and revealed how players can finally get their hands on it during the Kanto Tour event.
How to get Shiny Ditto in Pokemon Go
Ditto is one of the trickiest monsters to catch in Go as the adorable pink blob can disguise itself as other ‘mon. Up until this year, the popular character has been lacking its highly sought-after Shiny variant.
On February 9, The Pokemon Company revealed that it is finally coming to the game with the Kanto Tour event which starts on February 20. During the celebration, players will need to help Professor Willow with some Special Research.
“Work alongside Professor Willow in Pokémon GO Tour: Kanto’s Special Research story, where you’ll learn more about the Pokémon originally discovered in the Kanto region, practice your Trainer skills, and come across some clues related to a mysterious Pokémon. At the end of the Special Research, you’ll encounter a Shiny Ditto!” the blog post reads.
Shiny Ditto Research Tasks
With the Kanto Tour event kicking off on February 20, here’s everything you need to do in order to catch a Shiny Ditto, and all of the rewards you’ll enjoy along the way. Note: some rewards will vary depending on the type of task selected (Red or Green).
- Step 1
- Claim Reward (Poke Ball x 10)
- Claim Reward (Razz Berry x 3)
- Claim Reward (Potion x 3)
- Total Rewards: 150 XP, Incense x 3, Charmander/Bulbasaur Encounter
- Step 2
- Use an Incense (Poke Ball x 50)
- Catch 30 Pokemon ( Tangela Encounter)
- Take a snapshot of Charmander/Bulbasaur (Poffin x 1)
- Total Rewards: Poke Ball x 50, Chansey Encounter, Charmander/Bulbasaur Candy x 25
- Step 3
- Earn 3 hearts with your buddy (Stardust x 300)
- Catch 30 Pokemon (500 XP)
- Evolve a Charmander/Bulbasaur (Charmander/Bulbasaur Candy x 25)
- Total Rewards: Incense x 2, Cubone Encounter, Ultra Ball x 25
- Step 4
- Use an Incense (Egg Incubator x 1)
- Send 3 Gifts to friends (Pinap Berry x 5)
- Trade 3 Pokemon (Red or Green) with a friend (Charmander/Bulbasaur Candy x 25)
- Total Rewards: Stardust x 500, Lickitung Encounter, Cubone Candy x 25
- Step 5
- Make 3 Nice Throws in a row (Aerodactyl Encounter)
- Catch 10 different species of Pokémon (Star Piece x 1)
- Use 20 Berries to help Catch Pokemon (Red or Green) (Charmander/Bulbasaur Candy x 25)
- Total Rewards: Premium Battle Pass x 1, Snorlax Encounter, Cubone Candy x 25
- Step 6
- Power up Pokemon 5 times (Red or Green) (Charmander/Bulbasaur Candy x 25)
- Battle in 3 Raids (Mewtwo Candy x 20)
- Evolve 1 Pokemon (Tour Cap x 1)
- Total Rewards: Fast TM x 1, Lapras Encounter, Charged TM x 1
- Step 7
- Catch 30 Pokemon (3000 XP)
- Catch 15 different species of Pokemon (Rare Candy x 3)
- Transfer 20 Pokemon (3000 XP)
- Total Rewards: Lure Module x 1, Shiny Ditto Encounter, Lucky Egg x 1
- Step 8
- Claim Reward (3000 XP)
- Claim Reward (Stardust x 3000)
- Claim Reward (3000 XP)
- Total Rewards: Ditto Candy x 20, Mew Candy x 20, Ditto Sticker x 10
Ditto being added as a Shiny isn’t too surprising, as Niantic’s Kanto Tour blog post back in December stated that 150 Gen I ‘mon would get the rare form: “We’re also excited to announce that during the Pokémon GO Tour: Kanto event, the first 150 Pokémon originally discovered in the Kanto region will be available as Shiny Pokémon, some of them for the first time ever.”
Still, it’s nice for players to finally get official confirmation. If nothing else, it is a great way to get the community hyped up for the 25th anniversary celebration. The chance of getting the shape-shifting character in its alternate variant will be worth the price of admission for many Trainers.