The Modern Warfare 2 Open Beta is officially in the books as players had just two weekends in which to try the game out before it’s full launch in October. From how fans could access the Beta early, to a rundown of the content included, here’s everything you need to know.
With the Vanguard cycle now behind us, Modern Warfare 2 is quickly beginning to soak up the spotlight. Following on from its full reveal on June 8, we soon knew for certain that fans would be able to go hands-on in the not-so-distant future thanks to a Beta period.
Two Open Beta weekends were announced for Modern Warfare 2 and there was plenty to enjoy across both stretches. From new maps and game modes to powerful weapons and mechanics, fans were certainly kept busy.
If you missed the Beta and want to brush up ahead of the full release, here’s a full recap of all there is to know.
- Modern Warfare 2 Beta dates & early access
- Modern Warfare 2 Beta platforms
- Modern Warfare 2 Beta PC requirements
- How to play Modern Warfare 2 Beta early
- Modern Warfare 2 Beta rewards
- Modern Warfare 2 Beta content
The Modern Warfare 2 Beta took place across two separate weeks in September. The first week was dedicated to PlayStation games. Those with early access could start playing right away, with the beta available September 16-17. After this, the beta was then accessible for all PlayStation gamers across September 18-20. Of note, PlayStation Plus was not required to access the Modern Warfare 2 Beta.
The Beta then went offline for a few days before launching on all platforms in the second week. Early access again got underway over September 22-23 before the final open Beta from September 24-26.
Below is a simple overview of key Modern Warfare 2 Beta dates:
- Weekend One (PlayStation Exclusive)
- Sep 16-17 (Early Access)
- Sep 18-20 (Open Beta)
- Weekend Two (All Platforms – Crossplay Beta)
- Sep 22-23 (Early Access)
- Sep 24-26 (Open Beta)
The Modern Warfare 2 Open Beta landed across PlayStation 4, PlayStation 5, Xbox One, Xbox Series X | S, Battle.Net, and Steam.
The full Modern Warfare 2 launch is locked in for all the same hardware, meaning players across all relevant platforms could get an early sample of the action through the Open Beta.
Moreover, the second Beta window featured full crossplay functionality, meaning players could team up and compete against those on different hardware.
If you jumped into the Modern Warfare 2 Beta on PC, you obviously needed to be aware of both the minimum and recommended system requirements. Given the scope of the latest CoD, fans required a beefy rig if they were looking to get the most out of it. But even dated machines were still able to run the Beta on lower settings.
Below is a full look at the Modern Warfare 2 Beta PC requirements:
|Minimum Specs||Recommended Specs|
|OS||Windows 10 – 64 Bit (latest update)||Windows 10 – 64 Bit (latest update)|
|CPU||Intel Core i5-3570 or AMD Ryzen 5 1600X||Intel Core i7-4770K or AMD Ryzen 7 1800X|
|Video Card||NVIDIA GeForce GTX 960 or AMD Radeon RX 470||NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1060 or AMD Radeon RX 580|
|RAM||8GB RAM||16GB RAM|
|Sound Card||DirectX Compatible||DirectX Compatible|
|Graphic Drivers||NVIDIA: 516.79 | AMD: 21.9.1|
Gaining early access to the Modern Warfare 2 Beta was as simple as pre-ordering the full title on your chosen platform. Regardless of where you play, or how you purchase your games, all pre-orders were granted early access.
If you pre-ordered Modern Warfare 2 digitally on console through the PlayStation Store, Microsoft Store, or digitally on PC through Battle.Net or Steam, you were automatically registered to join the early access period when it became available.
If you pre-ordered Modern Warfare 2 at a brick-and-mortar store, however, your early access Beta code would have been printed on the retail receipt or sent through an online receipt.
As a final method of accessing the Beta, codes were on offer as randomized drops during the 2022 CDL Championship Weekend event. Just by tuning in on YouTube, fans had a chance at earning a Modern Warfare 2 Beta code. Here’s all you need to know.
To redeem your 13-character Beta code through physical pre-orders, fans had to visit to the official CoD Beta redemption page to gain early access. Below is a step-by-step breakdown to keep things simple:
- Pre-order any version of Modern Warfare 2 on any platform.
- If you pre-ordered a digital copy, you’re immediately locked in for the Beta.
- If you pre-ordered a physical copy, redeem your 13-character Beta code here.
Activision offered 10 different reward items earned by leveling up in the Beta, including two weapon blueprints and an operator skin.
The rewards were only available to unlock during the Beta. The developers confirmed that the Beta rewards would also be available in Warzone 2.
Here is a list of all the Beta rewards.
- Emblem: “Smashed It”: Unlocks at Operator Level 2
- Charm: “Buckle Up”: Unlocks at Operator Level 4
- Player Cards: “Passed the Test”: Unlocks at Operator Level 6
- Sticker: “Operation First Blood”: Unlocks at Operator Level 10
- Weapon Blueprint: “Side Impact”: Unlocks at Operator Level 15
- Operator Skin: “Collision”: Unlocks at Operator Level 18
- Vinyl: “No Competition”: Unlocks at Operator Level 19
- Sticker: “Safety First”: Unlocks at Operator Level 21
- Vehicle Skin: “Floor It”: Unlocks at Operator Level 26
- Weapon Blueprint: “Frontal Impact”: Unlocks at Operator Level 30
The Beta gave us an idea of what to expect when the full Modern Warfare 2 drops at the end of October. A number of diverse maps and modes were all on offer as was the game’s new Gunsmith 2.0 system.
However, the much anticipated Grand Prix map, teased specifically for the Beta, did not surface and references to it on the CoD website were conspicuous by their absence.
As expected, though, a host of new information was provided by the Beta, including how the basics of the game will work. Check out some of our guides below:
- Modern Warfare 2 Gunsmith explained
- Modern Warfare 2 equipment guide
- Modern Warfare 2 killstreaks revealed
- All Modern Warfare 2 Field Upgrades
- All Modern Warfare 2 Perks explained
- How to unlock the MP5 Lachmann SMG
- How to slide cancel in Modern Warfare 2
- How to unlock Oni Operator and Blueprint
There will be plenty more announced and revealed about Modern Warfare 2 in the coming weeks, and we’ll be sure to have it all covered.