In World of Warcraft‘s ever-expanding universe, flying is the best way to get around. At release, players weren’t able to take to the skies, but now, getting off of the ground in WoW Shadowlands: Chains of Domination 9.1 is finally an option.
Your first glance at the World of Warcraft map most likely sent you into a tailspin at how much there is to see. Azeroth itself is split into its different continents, and then there are areas outside the realm such as The Maw, Korthia, and Argus.
With how big the game is, you’ll need to cover a lot of land quickly, and flying also allows you to avoid any mobs you’d rather not tangle with. The newly-released Chains of Domination patch brings in ways to explore the vast Shadowlands by flight, but how can you do this quickly?
- How to unlock flying WoW Shadowlands
- How to get Renown in WoW Shadowlands
- Where to find flying trainers
After a long wait, flying is now available in WoW Shadowlands: Chains of Domination with the Patch 9.1 drop.
To get started, you’ll have to have a flying mount in your inventory. Luckily, getting one is pretty simple, and our mount guide will help you get one in no time.
It’s worth noting that currently, you’re only able to fly in the Covenant zones of Bastion, Maldraxxus, Ardenwearld, and Revendreth. In previous expansions and patches, unlocking the ability was incredibly arduous, taking endless hours of Renown grinding before you could even fathom taking to the skies.
However, in a complete shift of tone for WoW, unlocking it in Chains of Domination is much easier to accomplish:
- First, you’ll need to work your way through the main storyline and explore all four Covenants of the Shadowlands.
- Complete all of the zones’ main quests.
- You’ll now need to reach Renown level 44. Once that’s done, from the second week of the patch dropping, Chapter 4 of the campaign, ‘The Last Sigil’ will be unlocked.
- Once this is completed, you’ll be rewarded with ‘Memories of Sunless Skies‘, a usable item that will then unlock flying completely account-wide.
As we mentioned, you’ll need to reach Renown level 44 before you can even dream of flying. To get more Renown, there’s a handful of tasks you can complete:
- World Quests will reward you with small amounts of Anima that you can then take to your Covenant Sanctum.
- Complete chapters for your chosen Covenant.
- Rescue and return Lost Souls to your Covenant Sanctum. Pick this up weekly, head to The Maw, and rescue the souls you find there.
The tasks above are imperative to complete, but new characters and players who haven’t been active in Shadowlands can also use catchup mechanics to gain Renown more quickly to fill in the gaps:
- Accepting Covenant Callings.
- Complete PvP objectives.
- Killing the weekly World Boss.
- Torghast quests that reward players with Soul Ash upon completion.
- Completing random dungeons and raids through Dungeon Finder and LFR. This also includes both Mythic and Mythich+ dungeons, as well as any quests given to you for dungeons from Oribos.
Unlike previous expansions, Shadowlands does not require a Flightmaster’s Whistle. Instead, you can purchase flight training from any of the game’s Flight Masters.
Below are the steps you’ll need to take in order to take to the skies of the Shadowlands:
- First, you’ll need to learn Expert Riding. This is available at Level 30 for 250 Gold.
- Alliance races can learn Expert Riding from Bralla Cloudwing in Stormwind.
- Horde races can learn Expert Riding from Maztha in Orgrimmar.
- Master Riding can be purchased at Level 40 for 5,000 Gold to increase your speed whilst in flight.
- Equip your flying mount and take a leap of faith!
There’s also a slight discount on the cost of training when purchasing from a faction-based vendor, which depends on a player’s reputation with that particular faction. The discounts are:
- 5% discount at Friendly reputation
- 10% discount at Honored reputation.
- 15% discount at Revered reputation.
- 20% discount at Exalted reputation.
So, that’s all you need to know about how to fly in WoW Shadowlands: Chains of Domination! With plenty of new mounts available in patch 9.1, this guide should help you out in a pinch.
For more guides to help you become the best champion Azeroth and the Shadowlands has ever seen, check these out:
How to level up fast | WoW Chains of Domination release date | How to unlock Tazavesh | The best expansion to level through | New player guide for WoW Shadowlands: tips and tricks | How to farm gold in WoW Classic | Fishing guide for WoW Classic | How to install addons in Burning Crusade Classic | 5 best addons, ranked