World of Warcraft Classic’s finally got the big update that everyone’s been waiting for: Burning Crusade. Classic was originally released to a slew of nostalgia-hungry fans back in 2019, and one of the first priorities for many players will be to customize the game to their liking with addons.
Addons have always been a major part of WoW, becoming increasingly common over the years since the game’s release. They allow players to do everything from customizing their UI and calculating their DPS, or using complicated systems to rake in Gold on the auction house.
Long-time World of Warcraft players will undoubtedly be familiar with the process of installing addons. For those who are trying out WoW for the first time with Classic, or are returning to the game after an extended absence, though, it might not be so obvious.
Before diving into the addons themselves, the easiest way to streamline your experience is with an addon manager. Of course, you’re able to install these yourself through various sites, but a client takes out all of the hard work and allows you to get right to business.
- Read More: How to level up fishing in WoW Classic
In terms of the client to use, we recommend using WowUp. Before selling CurseForge to Overwolf, Twitch was also a good choice to download addons from, but mod support was eventually dropped for the game.
Downloading WoW Classic addons manually
If you really want the full Classic experience, though, or for whatever reason want to install an addon yourself, it’s still possible to install them manually.
- Read more: Best addons for WoW Classic
How to install WoW Classic addons manually
The method used to install addons to your game manually is relatively easy to do, too. All you’ll need to do is:
- Download the addon you want from a host site.
- Find where your version of Classic is installed. By default, this will be in Program Files.
- Unable to find it there? No problem – Open the Battle.net app.
- From there, click the WoW Classic logo at the top left of the app, and at the bottom left next to ‘Play’, click the cogwheel next to it.
- Select ‘Show in Explorer‘. This is where your game is installed.
- Having done that, extract the files and place them in your WoW Classic AddOns folder.
- The path for this is: World of Warcraft / _classic_ / Interface /AddOns.
- That’s it, you’re all set!
Once you’ve done this, you can head back on over to your game.
Once you’ve got addons installed, an ‘AddOns‘ button will appear in the lower left-hand corner of the character select screen when you log in. This will open a menu that allows you to enable or disable your addons and, in some cases, their constituent parts.
- Read More: How to make money in WoW Classic
Addon settings can also be found in the settings menu while you’re in the game itself, although some changes might require you to re-log in to take effect. Some addons also come with their own menus and settings.
Sometimes you might find your addons become out of date and no longer function correctly, or at all. Assuming the creator is keeping them updated, you can easily download any available updates through your website or addon manager of choice.
So, there you have it! All you need to know about installing the best addons in WoW Classic.
Want to become the best adventurer Azeroth’s ever seen? Check out our other handy guides: 5 best WoW addons, ranked | Best fishing spots in WoW Classic | Best healer classes for Classic dungeons and raids | Top tank classes for Classic dungeons and raids | How to find each faction’s Auction House |