The classic Sword and Shield combination is devastating in PvE and PvP within New World, so this build’s skills and passives are the best choices if you’re looking to dominate on the battlefield.
We’re going to run through the best skills you should spec into when building your Sword and Shield mastery tree, along with what passives to run to create the best Sword and Shield build in New World.
- New World Sword and Shield build
- Sword and Shield build Mastery Trees
- Best skills for Sword and Shield
- Best Sword and Shield passives
- Best Sword and Shield PvP & PvE build
The Sword and Shield dual-wield combo go hand-in-hand with one another, and they’re considered to be widely powerful for PvP action. This is mainly due to the fact that you’re able to block incoming attacks while dealing hard damage with your Sword.
- Read More: Factions guide
Utilizing the Sword within your build is perfect for combat up close, and adding a shield into the mix allows you to sustain this while continuing to protect yourself from incoming attacks.
After deciding to run with a Sword and Shield build, you’ll then need to pick which of the two different Mastery Trees to focus on. While each still specializes in close combat alongside the added defense of a shield, they both approach it slightly differently.
|Defender||A defensive style of play focusing on utilizing your shield, boosting overall armor to reduce any incoming damage.|
|Swordmaster||This is a mobility-focused build, increasing offensive damage and utilizing stuns.|
|Skill||What it Does|
|Leaping Strike||Leap 6 meters and deal 135% weapon damage|
|Reverse Stab||A stab attack that deals 175% weapon damage.|
|Shield Rush||Rush forward 5 meters, knocking back foes and dealing 125% weapon damage.|
|Whirling Blade||Perform a 360-degree strike and deal 145% damage weapon damage to enemies within 2 meters.|
- Leaping Strike: This can be great for a sneak attack out of the bushes, or when you’re charging onto the battlefield and want to get a quick hit off right away.
- Reverse Stab: Turning your character around to slice them with your sword, this ability will do a great chunk of damage. While the cooldown is slightly longer at 25 seconds, you’ll be able to decimate your opponent’s health with this move.
- Shield Rush: This ability is great for stunning enemies and knocking them back while your Mages or other players clear them out.
- Whirling Blade: This ability is great for damaging multiple enemies at once with a swift 360 strike.
To make the most of the epic Sword and Shield combo and its skills, we’d recommend taking passives such as Counter Attack, Empowered Stab, and Freeing Justice. Coupled with the above skills, these will provide a cushion to provide you with Empower, Fortify, and debuffs.
- Empowered Stab: Successful Heavy Attack grants you 30% Empower for 5 seconds, increasing damage.
- Freeing Justice: Landing a Heavy Attack causes you to lose all current debuffs.
- Defensive Training: When blocking an attack, you gain 10% Fortify for 5 seconds.
- Leadership: When sword is equipped, all party members get +10% damage.
For players looking for a solid all-rounded Sword & Shield build in New World, then we’ve got you covered.
Whether you’re in PvP or PvE, we recommend you use these skills:
- Shield Bash
- Defiant Stance
- Whirling Blade
Shield Bash is great for interrupting enemy attacks as well temporarily stunning foes, making them vulnerable. Defiant Stance is incredibly useful, especially in PvE. This skill reduces incoming damage by 30% for 8 seconds, allowing you tank damage.
Whirling Blade is a great offensive skill which deals slash damage, one of the best damage types in New World. Useful in both PvP and PvE.
To round off the best New World Sword & Shield build, we recommend using any of these passives:
- Empowered Stab
- Tactical Strike
- Freeing Justice
- Defensive Training
- Critical Precision
- Final Strike
So, there you have it. That’s everything you need to know about the best Sword and Shield build and Mastery Tree in New World.
Looking to become the best adventurer the island of Aeternum has seen? Check out our guides and tips:
New World faction guide | How to get the Waning Crescent staff | Life Staff mastery tree | Fiber and Linen guide | Fishing guide | Where to find sheep | Candied Strawberries | AoE Mage guide | Ice Gauntlet build