The Genshin Impact patch 2.2 update is coming soon. MiHoYo has confirmed the arrival of Thoma, new weapons, events, and domains — as well as Tsurumi Island, Inazuma’s final major expansion. Here’s what you need to know about the update.
The next major Genshin Impact update, Version 2.2, is on its way.
After leaks promised the world, miHoYo unveiled a rather reserved package at their Tokyo Game Show livestream. However, we will still be getting some new content, including new character Thoma and the Tsurumi Island expansion.
On top of that, a host of new weapons, events, and domains are expected to launch — and there’s a couple of small changes to Sucrose and Noelle.
Here’s what you need to know.
When is Genshin Impact update 2.2 releasing?
Genshin Impact’s Version 2.2 update, named “Into the Perilous Labyrinth of Fog”, will drop on October 13, 2021.
Players will be able to pre-download the patch starting from October 11 so they can jump right in as maintenance ends at around 4am BST on October 13.
What’s coming in Genshin Impact update 2.2?
Thoma finally released, Itto & Gorou revealed
Thoma will be releasing in the 2.2 update as a new four-star playable character. Thoma holds a Pyro Vision and wields a polearm as his weapon. He is also a reliable teammate in combat, providing strong defense and buffs.
Itto, the “first and greatest head of the Arataki Gang” is dropping in as a Geo-Claymore user. He also has a “Taurus Iracundus” tag, which indicates he will likely get a story quest as a five-star character.
Gorou is much of the same. The General of the Watatsumi Army has the “Canis Bellatoris” tag, and will join the roster as a Geo-Bow user.
Itto and Gorou’s release dates have not been confirmed. Given their teasers now though, they will likely come in update 2.3.
"Kindness and loyalty are the representation of virtue. Without a doubt, my friend Gorou is a virtuous general." — Kaedehara Kazuha
— Genshin Impact (@GenshinImpact) October 11, 2021
Childe & Hu Tao getting re-runs, new Hangout Events
Thoma will feature alongside the Hu Tao banner rerun, which will follow after Childe’s return on October 12. To complement these re-runs, new weapons like the five-star Polar Star bow will be dropping.
Hangout Events for Thoma and Sayu will also be available with Version 2.2.
Tsurumi Island launches with Genshin Impact update 2.2
Seirai and Watatsumi Island launched as part of Genshin Impact patch 2.1, which leaves just one to be added in 2.2: Tsurumi Island.
The island is shrouded in dense fog, and players may easily get lost and encounter unprecedented challenges while exploring this area. To make matters even worse, there are a number of dangerous beasts that lurk within the darkness.
Rifthounds and the Rifthound Whelps are stealthy beasts that use their steal to unleash deadly sneak attacks.
When an attack hits a character, all party members will be affected by the “Corrosion” status and continually lose HP even if they’re shielded.
Genshin Impact patch 2.2 new events
Four new events will be dropping as part of Genshin Impact patch 2.2. These will, obviously, be spaced out across the release cycle.
- Labyrinth Warriors: A Rogue-like dungeon event, with players earning a free copy of Xinyan.
- Shadow of the Ancients: Players have to accomplish investigation commissions across Mondstadt, Liyue, and Inazuma to defeat an “Anomalous Model Ruin Grader” that seems to be constantly drawing power from an unknown source of energy to regenerate itself.
- Tuned to the World’s Sounds: A music-themed event starring Ningguang, Zhongli, Keqing, Xiao, Kokomi, Ayaka, and the Raiden Shogun.
- Dreams of Bloom: A Serenitea Pot-based event where you grow special plants to get new furnishings.
Genshin Impact update 2.2 balance changes: Sucrose & Noelle
Despite criticism around Kokomi’s weak release, no buffs are expected to come to the Sangonomiya Clan leader.
Instead, a couple of changes are coming to Sucrose and Noelle. They won’t affect their power in-game though, it’s just a revision of the skill descriptions to make it easier to read.
There are some quality of life changes coming though. The Artifact limit is being increased to 1,500, and players can now skip multiple days in one time adjustment.
You can find the full Genshin Impact update 2.2 notes below.
Genshin Impact update 2.2 notes
New Inazuma Island: Tsurumi Island
- An island that has been locked off by perpetual fog, where few people dare enter.
- After the Version 2.2 update, Tsurumi Island in the Inazuma region will be available.
- Unlock Criteria: Complete the World Quest “Seirai Stormchasers”
- Vision: Pyro
- Weapon: Polearm
- The Kamisato Clan’s housekeeper. A well-known “fixer” in Inazuma.
- A mansion that was set up somewhere outside the Sea of Fog. No one knows who built this place, but it seems clear that it is now nothing but a den of ravenous wolves.
- Unlock Criteria: Reach Adventure Rank 40 or above and fulfill certain criteria.
- Challenge the Domain to obtain rewards such as Primogems and Electro Sigils.
- Located at Tsurumi Island.
- Polar Star (5-Star Bow)
- Akuoumaru (4-Star Claymore)
- Wavebreaker’s Fin (4-Star Polearm)
- Mouun’s Moon (4-Star Bow)
Rifthound Whelp and Rifthound
- Beasts with monstrous blood that are capable of eroding the boundaries of the world.
- New Recipes: “Warmth,” Radish and Fish Stew, Wakatakeni, Berry Mizu Manjuu, and Soba Noodle
- New Achievement categories such as “Through the Mists,” and additions to the “Wonders of the World” and “Memories of the Heart” categories
- New Namecards: “Travel Notes: Heavenly General,” “Thoma: Blazing Guard, “Inazuma: Eagleplume”
- New Realm Layout “Silken Courtyard”
- Unlock Criteria: Sacred Sakura’s Favor Level 40 or above, obtain Silken Print
- New Furnishing Categories: Floating Platform and Paving, and new Furnishings
Adjustments & Optimizations
- After Travelers abandon the challenge in the “Full Speed Ahead” commission quest, the remaining enemies will no longer drop Elemental Particles.
- Optimizes the experience of the “Rules of Safe Transportation” and “Safe Conduct” commission quests in the Inazuma area, and increased the HP and Movement SPD of the hot air balloon.
- Optimizes the trial character’s Artifacts and Talent levels in some Story Quests, so that they change dynamically with the World Level.
- Increases Inventory limit for Artifacts from 1,000 to 1,500.
- Adjusts the display order after performing a 10-wish pull. After adjustment, the pull results will be displayed with the following priority (from left to right): 5-star character > 5-star weapon > 4-star character > 4-star or 3-star weapon > items not converted to Starglitter > items converted to Starglitter > Sequence acquired. (Originally: 5-star character > 4-star character > 5-star weapon > 4-star or 3-star weapon > items not converted to Starglitter > items converted to Starglitter > Sequence acquired.)
- Adds a new feature to skip the display scene when performing a 10-wish pull.
- Adds feature for learning Furnishing Blueprints in the Forge menu, Crafting Bench, and the Furnishing Creation interface in Serenitea Pot.
- Optimizes location selection logic in the Expedition page when using a Controller.
- The conditions for purchasing the Starter Supply Bundle and Wayfarer’s Supply Bundle permanent bundles are adjusted to Adventure Rank 25 or above (originally Adventure Rank 1).
- Optimizes the performance of the Hangout Event interface.
- Adds ending status display in the Hangout Event interface.
- Adds new hints in the Hangout Event Storyline Summary screen: during the process, you can start playing from any of the completed plot nodes.
- Options you have selected before will be recorded when the Hangout Event is played on the same device.
- Optimizes the Time Adjustment experience in Paimon Menu: you can now change time over the span of days.
- Adds some prompts for loading screens.
- Optimizes the descriptions of Sucrose’s Lv. 4 Constellation “Alchemania” and of Noelle’s Passive Talent “Nice and Clean” (only the descriptions were revised, the actual effects of the skill work as intended in-game).
- Original description of Sucrose’s “Alchemania”: “Every 7 Normal and Charged Attacks, Sucrose will reduce the CD of Astable Anemohypostasis Creation – 6308 by 1-7s.”
- Revised description: “Sucrose will reduce the CD of Astable Anemohypostasis Creation – 6308 by 1-7s for every 7 Normal or Charged Attack hits she scores against opponents. One hit may be counted every 0.1s.”
- Original description of Noelle’s “Nice and Clean”: “Breastplate’s CD is reduced by 1s per 4 Normal Attack or Charged Attack hits. Hitting multiple enemies with one attack is only counted as one hit.”
- Revised description: “Noelle will decrease the CD of Breastplate by 1s for every 4 Normal or Charged Attack hits she scores on opponents. One hit may be counted every 0.1s.”
- Optimizes the music switching range in some areas.
- Optimizes the voice-over for some characters and quests.
- Reduces the time delay between characters opening the Treasure Chest and triggering of the relevant voice-over line.
- Adjusts the voice-over of Sayu when she deploys her wind glider.
- In the Shop > Stardust Exchange section, there is now no limit to the amount of Mora that can be exchanged, but we have added a limit for each exchange, which is 100.
- At the Souvenir Shops in Mondstadt and Liyue, there is no limit to the amount of Mora that can be exchanged, but we have added a limit for each exchange, which is 300.
- Updates the usable materials for the Parametric Transformer: including new harvestable materials in Inazuma and certain materials dropped by enemies, etc.
- Reduces visual obstruction from special effects when bow characters enter Aiming Mode (such as shield effects and the effects of the Raiden Shogun’s Chakra Desiderata).
- Reduces the brightness of the Raiden Shogun’s Chakra Desiderata in various lighting conditions.
- New items at NPC Marjorie’s store in Mondstadt: Windblume Festival Commemorative Balloon, Windsong Lyre, and Wind-Blessed Harpastum are currently available for purchase.
- Optimizes the rules for the appearance of “warm” ground in the Domain “Peak of Vindagnyr” in order to avoid the long absence of “warm” ground.
- Reduced the camera shake caused by storms and lightning in the open world, and optimizes the gaming experience when thunderstorms are in high frequency.