Trade evolutions have finally been added to Pokemon Go, bringing new Gen 5 species along with the new feature.
Pokemon evolving when trading has been a mechanic even since the very first Pokemon games: Red and Blue. Long-term fans will remember the likes of Kadabra to Alakazam and Machoke to Machamp as they are some of the more iconic examples.
The idea of Pokemon Go adding trade evolutions was first revealed back in September. We might have had to wait a while, but it shouldn't come as any real surprise that the popular mechanic has been added.
Which Pokemon can evolved by trading?
The aforementioned Kadabra and Machoke are two of the species that can benefit from trade evolutions. The full list of Pokemon that can currently be evolved by trading is as follows:
- Graveler to Golem
- Haunter to Gengar
- Kadabra to Alakazam
- Machoke to Machamp
- Roggenrola to Gigalith
- Timburr to Conkeldurr
- Karrablast to Escavalier
- Shelmet to Accelgor
Unlike the mainline games, however, you can evolve these Pokemon with candies, so it begs the question, what is the real benefit.
Well, Pokemon that can now be evolved by trading don't require any Candies to do so. For example, Kadabra needs 100 Abra Candy to evolve. Therefore, if you can find someone to trade with you've saved a lot of Candy and a lot of time trying to find an Abra.
More Gen 5 species
That's not all, though, as the new introduction of the classic mechanic brings a long with it many new Gen 5 species for you to try and find.
Roggenrola, Tympole, Dwebble, Trubbish, Karrablast, Joltik, Shelmet, and "more" are already appearing in the wild. There are also more to be found but these are regional exclusives. They are as follows:
- North America, South America, and Africa: Throh (also available in 10 km Eggs)
- Europe, Asia, and Australia: Sawk (also available in 10 km Eggs)
- Southern United States, Mexico, Central America, the Caribbean, and South America: Maractus
- Egypt and Greece: Sigilyph
- Eastern hemisphere: Red-Striped Form Basculin
- Western hemisphere: Blue-Striped Form Basculin
2km, 5km and 10km eggs also have new Generation 5 species waiting to hatch.
- 2 km Eggs: Venipede and Dwebble
- 5 km Eggs: Roggenrola, Tympole, Trubbish, Karrablast, Joltik, and Shelmet
- 10 km Eggs: Timburr, Tirtouga, Archen, and Axew
Finally, the Muscular Pokemon, Timburr, can be found in one-star Raid Battles.
Niantic had previously promised more Unova Pokemon in January and they have delivered!