Rainbow Six Operation High Calibre, the final update for Year 6, has arrived on November 30. The new operation includes defender Thorn, the Outback map rework, balance changes to Finka, Mozzie, and more — here are the full patch notes of the Y6S4 changes.
Rainbow Six is rounding out its big anniversary year — the sixth one, of course — with a bang in Operation High Calibre. It’s in the name after all.
The update will include new content such as Thorn, the game’s 62nd operator, and a rework to Australian map Outback. The existing members of Team Rainbow aren’t forgotten though, with balance changes to Finka, Valkyrie, and more.
Plus, the game’s HUD is getting a visual overhaul, and the Test Server is undergoing some changes too.
Here’s what you need to know about Operation High Calibre, now live on November 30, with the full patch notes to boot.
- New defender Thorn
- Outback map rework
- Ubisoft delays Defender camera change
- Finka buffs
- Operation High Calibre patch notes
What’s coming in Rainbow Six Operation High Calibre?
Thorn, Rainbow Six’s 62nd operator and 31st defender, is rounding out the new additions to Team Rainbow in Year 6. The Irish defender brings a new weapon into the Siege arsenal in the highly-destructive UZK50GI.
Her gadget is called the Razorbloom Shell, which sticks to a surface after it’s thrown. It lays dormant until an enemy walks by, triggering an explosion after a short timer that shreds enemies caught in its radius — one trap can kill an entire squad if not dealt with.
The Shells can be shot, even during the activation time. However, when combined with Barbed Wire, or utility like Melusi’s Banshee, the Razorbloom can deal a ton of damage. Check out our Thorn guide for more.
Outback, which first released as part of Year 4’s Operation Burnt Horizon, is getting a full map rework in Operation High Calibre.
Every aspect of the Australian motel-based map is getting overhauled. The general plan though is to give attackers more creative options to breach into sites, with new external walls and a bit more destructibility across the map.
The map has also been decluttered, bomb sites shifted around, and new rooms added — like the Terrace between Mezzanine and Piano Room making for a new top floor rotate instead of solely funnelling through Games Room.
The biggest balance change planned for Operation High Calibre was a big nerf to defenders like Valkyrie. Defender cameras were set to automatically disable when thrown outside after a set period of time.
However, after testing on the TTS, Ubisoft are shelving the changes for a future update.
“On the [test server], we discovered an issue that will take longer to fix than expected, so we’ve decided to delay this change,” developers said on November 24.
📹Y6S4 Balancing Update📹
In the Y6S4 reveal, we announced a disconnection timer for Defender cameras and drones when used outside.
On the TS, we discovered an issue that will take longer to fix than expected, so we've decided to delay this change. pic.twitter.com/5OxIZn1rhp
— Rainbow Six Siege (@Rainbow6Game) November 24, 2021
With the changes in place, you could only set up cameras for 10 seconds outside before they were disabled, with no feed going back to the defenders inside. The change was a big nerf for Valkyrie especially, who relied on outside cameras on certain maps to gain key intel.
However, the changes have been delayed until after the Six Invitational 2022 at the earliest, giving Ubisoft time to fix map issues to make sure cameras are disabled properly.
“We’re updating our interior and exterior detection volumes, making sure they’re precise. This means going over every map and possible cam location, making sure there are no exceptions. This is why the change requires a little time.”
Buffs to Mozzie and Echo — increasing their camera activation times outside from three seconds to 10 seconds — will still be shipped.
French attacker Finka is leading the balance changes for the other side of Team Rainbow — and it’s a long-awaited buff at that.
She can now use her Adrenal Surge gadget to revive herself when downed, if she has a charge. The recoil boost has also been removed from the charge, which will be helpful for players who have mastered their spray patterns with the Spear (or other rifles).
However, to compensate for the power of the revive, she has an increased 20-second cooldown between Adrenal Surge charges.
You can find the full Operation High Calibre patch notes below.
Echo & Mozzie
- Increased drones’ time outside the building to 10s (from 3s).
- Can now activate Adrenal Surge while in DBNO.
- Removed Recoil Boost granted by Adrenal Surge.
- Increased cooldown to 20s (from 10s).
- Evil Eye cameras can be rotated by teammates if Maestro is not actively using the camera.
- If hacked, Dokkaebi and Attackers will also have access to camera rotation.
Other game balancing
- The increase to ADS speed provided by the Angled Grip is now 20% less than it was before.
Gamepad recoil comfort
- Reduced lateral recoil on:
- Jäger – 416-C
- Ash – RC4
- Vigil – K1A
- Zofia – M762
- Ace – AK-12
- Warden, Dokkaebi and Vigil – SMG-12
- Mozzie, Aruni – P-10 Roni
- Alibi – Mx-4 Storm
DSEG: Disabled State for Electronic Gadgets
- Created more consistent Scoring and Warning messages.
- Operators’ access to Observation Tools while being affected by DSEG has been normalized.
- Previously the access was only blocked for Attackers, and now it is blocked for Defenders too.
- Iana, Finka, Lion, Dokkaebi and Warden’s unique abilities cool down timer is now paused while affected by DSEG.
- Jackal’s Eyenox automatically deactivates when affected by DSEG.
- Dokkaebi’s Logic Bomb ability can be interrupted by DSEG during its casting.
- Attackers affected by disabled state won’t receive Finka’s adrenaline boost anymore.
- Bulletproof Cameras can now rotate.
- Added EMP burst shot that disables Attackers’ electronic gadgets (i.e. drones, claymore, Airjab, etc.).
- The first player in the camera can use the ability to shoot. Unlike operators’ abilities, there is no notion of ownership.
- Once the glass on a Bulletproof Camera has been shattered, it will be unable to shoot EMP bursts.
- Added on-screen counter for Defenders that tallies number of regular drones destroyed by Defenders or captured by Mozzie during the round.
- The following actions do not count towards the Drone Counter:
- Defenders destroy a special drone (i.e. Twitch, Flores)
- Attackers destroy a drone
- A drone is disabled
- Teams are now referred to in-game as “Your Team” and “Opponents” instead of Blue Team and Orange Team.
- Default team colors changed to blue (Your Team) and red (Opponents).
- Team colors can be changed between blue, red, or orange.
- Visuals for the HUD have been updated to be more in-line with the game’s art direction.
- Compass now displays pings and other marker locations, as well as feedback for height differences.
- Loadout (weapons, gadgets and unique abilities) was regrouped together to follow more consistent display rules.
- Text action reminders (ex: Press [SPACE] to Vault) have been replaced with icons to take up less space.
- Automatically dim the Action Reminder opacity while in ADS.
- Added an opacity slider for Action Reminders in the HUD Options menu.
- Added the option to choose an Advanced or Simplified compass in the HUD Options menu.
Tweaks and improvements
First Win of the Day Bonus
- Earn extra Battle Pass Points when winning any PVP playlist game within 24 hours of the first matched played.
- Time starts at the first match played and resets each day.
Battle Point Booster Update
- Boosters now give a 30% bonus for you, a 10% bonus for your teammates, and a 30% bonus for a team with at least 3 active Boosters.
- The bonus can be stacked for up to 100% bonus points.
Switch Firing Mode
- Switch Fire Mode was removed for weapons, but the function (now called Switch Ability Mode) was kept for Operator’s that have unique abilities with different modes (Ex. Zofia, Capitao).
- While AFK during the Planning Phase, the Operator selected will be based on the player’s personal statistics.
- This does not affect the behavior of the Random button.
- New Privacy tab in the Options menu.
- Prevent Queue Sniping options moved to this new section.
- Options are: Hidden Matchmaking Delay and Hide Region and Latency.
- FIXED – Total ammo count is incorrect on some weapons.
- FIXED – Movement speed while using ADS upside down is faster than right side up during Rappel.
- FIXED – Changing sensitivity mid-game removes the ability to look in any direction while in ADS.
- FIXED – Assist is not counted for the player that injures an opponent if a teammate puts the opponent in DBNO and then eliminates them.
- FIXED – Barbed wire can be destroyed by allies when friendly fire is off.
- FIXED – Muffled sound on some weapons.
- FIXED – Some device recharging cooldowns don’t get paused while in DSEG.
- FIXED – Reinforcement hinges are invisible from one side and block bullets.
- FIXED – Some gadgets don’t break the glass window when deployed on a barricade.
- FIXED – Threat indicator doesn’t appear for a grenade dropped by an eliminated Operator.
- FIXED – Servers prioritize putting players with a fast connection on the Attacker side during lobby creation. Attacker and Defender sides will now be chosen at random.
- FIXED – In the Planning Phase, selecting Confirm Loadout with a controller also picks up the defuser or drops it.
- FIXED – Grenade indicator color can be inconsistent with the level of threat.
- FIXED – Crosshairs of the Bulletproof Camera are not visible for teammates and spectators.
- FIXED – Electric damage won’t reactivate for a device disabled by an EMP if another electric device is deployed and picked up during the EMP duration.
- FIXED – Player’s camera goes out-of-world after being eliminated when no drone is available.
- FIXED – Laser sight remains visible while in ADS.
- FIXED – Barbed wire destroys Defenders’ secondary gadgets when it’s deployed on top of them.
- FIXED – The same controller input is used for dropping the defuser and switching ability mode.
- FIXED – Multiple LOD and LOS issues on various maps.
- FIXED – Defuser planting and retrieval issues in specific areas on various maps.
- FIXED – Exploitable gaps on various maps.
- FIXED – Multiple clipping, collision, destruction, and asset issues on various maps.
- FIXED – Attacker can instantly teleport down from the roof by dropping to the lower ledge and entering Rappel.
- FIXED – Valkyrie’s Black Eye cameras lose signal at B Central Stairs.
- FIXED – Hatch gets destroyed when certain gadgets are deployed on top of it in 1F Dining Room.
- FIXED – Incorrect Bombsite shown when a defuser is planted in 3F Bar and 3F Cocktail.
- FIXED – Bulletproof Camera can be deployed inside of an indestructible wall at EXT Terrace Balcony.
- FIXED – AI will remain stuck after spawning under the BBQ at 2F Covered Terrace in Training Grounds.
- FIXED – Stairs sign is still present in 1F Reptile Hallway even though the stairs were removed.
- FIXED – Player is unable to place deployable devices on the south wall of 1F Bike Repair.
- FIXED – An Attacker can pass through the red banner when they rappel from EXT Shrine Balcony while carrying the hostage.
- FIXED – Players can throw devices through the gap between a Surya Gate and the ceiling.
- FIXED – Ash’s R4-C assault rifle total ammo count is incorrect.
- FIXED – Ela’s deployed Grzmot Mines appear in their undeployed state for a player that joins a match in progress.
- FIXED – The Cluster Charge needs a larger space to deploy than intended. The reinforcement spikes and hole edges block its deployment.
- FIXED – Goyo’s Volcán Shield canister shells remain present after being destroyed for a player that joins a match in progress.
- FIXED – Ping marker doesn’t appear when IQ aims at the edge of asset if it’s behind an obstacle.
- FIXED – Some inputs are no longer registered when Jackal activates Eyenox at the edge of Mute’s Signal Disruptor.
- FIXED – LV Explosive Lance damage activates Reverse Friendly Fire when it eliminates a teammate.
- FIXED – Lesion’s Gu mine maximum limit is displayed as 99.
- FIXED – The window of Maestro’s Evil Eye closes fully when disabled by Thatcher’s EMP.
- FIXED – The Action Reminder of Maestro’s Evil Eye appears and flickers when the camera loses signal while overheating.
- FIXED – The window of Maestro’s Evil Eye doesn’t close automatically after losing signal while outside the building.
- FIXED – Mozzie is disabled due to crashes that occur when he eliminates a player or himself.
- FIXED – Mute’s Signal Disruptor area of effect is visible in Support Mode for Attackers and Defenders.
- FIXED – Mute’s Signal Disruptor triggers multiple scores for the same gadget.
- FIXED – Players are affected by Melusi’s Banshee while hiding behind the Talon-8 Shield.
- FIXED – Pulse’s Cardiac Sensor does not appear on screen after a player joins a match in progress.
- FIXED – Thunderbird can peek behind cover without opponents seeing her when she deploys a Kona Station.
- FIXED – Valkyrie’s Black Eye camera can’t be picked up if it’s thrown under tight spaces.
- FIXED – The gyroscope of Valkyrie’s Black Eye moves while the camera is in the process of connecting.
- FIXED – Valkyrie’s Black Eye camera appears as disabled when a player joins a match in progress.
- FIXED – Ying’s Candela model briefly reappears a few seconds after being destroyed.
- FIXED – Ying can deploy Candelas into a surface while in prone stance.
- FIXED – Zero’s smart ping is misplaced and offset when an Argus camera is placed on the ceiling.
- FIXED – Laser dots appear over the sight when aiming at the sky with Zero’s Argus Launcher.
- FIXED – Zero’s Argus camera appears as disabled when a player joins a match in progress.
- FIXED – Compass options in the HUD section can be changed when the compass is turned off.
- FIXED – Various UI issues.
- FIXED – Various Match Replay issues.
- FIXED – Various localization issues.
- FIXED – Various audio, SFX and VFX issues.
- FIXED – Various customization and Shop issues.
- FIXED – Custom Playlists present some inconsistencies between cross-platform for PC and Stadia.
- FIXED – Saved Customization can be reset after a patch.
- FIXED – Players may encounter a crash when exiting the Loadout section of an Operator’s menu.
- FIXED – Backing out of the Pack Manager without opening a pack and then creating a Custom match will cause an infinite, blue loading screen after the Pick Phase.
- FIXED – Alpha Packs cannot be opened using the Enter button on keyboard or X/A button on controllers.
- FIXED – The game crashes after filling a text chat box with specific characters and sending the message.
- FIXED – Inputs aren’t displayed for the Action Reminders.
- FIXED – Occasionally a squad member will not be able to hear anyone in a session on Stadia.
- FIXED – Xbox players can lose all in-game audio and then crash.