Duets are a great way to switch up your TikTok content and collaborate with friends and even influencers. Here’s how to duet someone on TikTok.
If you’ve spent any time on TikTok at all then you’ve more than likely seen videos where multiple clips are stacked next to each other in a variety of different layouts, showing people dancing, singing, and talking with other users. This feature is called a ‘duet.’
A duet on TikTok refers to when a user films their own video alongside another user’s original video as a way to either respond, react, or add something new.
Some people have used the feature to participate in virtual vocal duets — or even choirs — with each video being a new vocal line or instrument.
If influencers or famous TikTokers have allowed duets, it also means you are able to technically appear in a video alongside your favorite creator, and sometimes they may even end up seeing and reacting to it.
@charlidamelio##duet with @katiefeeneyy dc to katie and @kylievazzana♬ Beggin by Madcon – ❝..𝓈𝓊𝓂𝓂𝑒𝓇..❞
The possibilities for duetting on TikTok are practically endless, and the process is very simple.
How do you duet someone on TikTok?
- Search TikTok for the video you want to duet.
- On the right-hand side of the video there with be a series of symbols. Click the arrow symbol and it will take you to the share menu.
- On the bottom row of options, there is a button that has two circles overlapping each other. This is the duet button.
- Click the duet button and it will take you to the filming screen.
- Film your video with the red button at the bottom of the screen, and your video will play alongside the original video.
How to change TikTok duet layout
You may have seen some users use various different layouts, changing the position of their video in relation to the original
Some of these collages can end up looking quite complex, but there’s a more simple way to change up your duet layout than just the simple left and right combo.
- Open the duet as instructed above.
- Before you have filmed anything, click the layout button at the side, that looks like a square with a line through the middle.
- Select which kind of layout you’d like to use.
- Once selected, click back on the video and film as desired.
How to film a TikTok duet with audio
Some people may have discovered that when they film a duet, they cannot be heard over the original video, but this issue can be resolved quite simply.
- Open the duet screen as normal.
- Before recording starts, select the microphone option from the sidebar.
- If there is a diagonal line through the mic symbol, it means you are muted, and if you record, only the sound of the original video will be heard.
- If the symbol does not have a line through it, when you record your footage you will be able to also record your voice along with the original audio. TikTok recommends using an earpiece to improve audio quality when recording.
TikTokers have found an array of creative ways to use the duet function, and knowing the different options that are available makes the process a lot smoother.