Infinity Ward deployed Modern Warfare 2’s first official update on November 4, addressing performance issues, bug fixes, and the return of Weapon Tuning.
Given Modern Warfare 2’s numerous glaring issues at launch, be it game-breaking bugs or frustrating changes, developers are looking to resolve the most problematic setbacks as quickly as possible.
Now just one week removed from launch, Infinity Ward has rolled out the game’s first official update. No major gameplay changes have been made just yet, but the patch addresses overall performance issues, and several game-breaking bugs.
Not only that, but players can once again access the new weapon tuning feature after it was disabled across the board just days prior.
Weapon tuning and UI issues addressed
Weapon tuning has been reenabled in Modern Warfare 2. At launch, this unique Gunsmith feature was the cause of widespread lobby crashes across various platforms, forcing devs to temporarily scrap its inclusion. Thankfully, issues appear to have been resolved, and players can once again tune attachments as they please.
Players discovered an exploit, making players that equipped a Riot Shield essentially invincible. Clever community members learned Molotovs and Thermites worked as a counter to the bug, but the developers are working on a more permanent solution.
Infinity Ward did not make any significant map changes, but the developer stated they removed various exploits and geometry bugs since the game’s launch.
Poor UI design has been a hot-button issue among community members, and the developers committed to refining the UI and will release more information with the Season 1 update.
MW2 November 4 update patch notes
Here are the full November 4 patch notes.
Subscribe to our newsletter for the latest updates on Esports, Gaming and more.
- We’ve addressed a number of crashes affecting players across all platforms including the bug that caused certain players partied-up in game to crash when matchmaking. Last night’s update should provide additional stability in terms of crashing. We will continue to monitor live issue reports and provide resolutions as soon as we are able.
- We have made general game improvements including:
- Fix for various camos not unlocking during progression.
- Fixed framerate drop issues.
- Addressed known freezing issues.
- Overall performance improvements.
- Added fixes for stuttering and lag issues.
- A recent NVIDIA hotfix addressed some critical issues. Please make sure you are running the game on drivers 526.61.
- The PC benchmark map has been updated with a more accurate reading of the FPS display.
- Be sure to follow our friends at Beenox for additional updates for MW2 on PC.
- We are actively collecting weapon performance/usage data and will provide detailed updates on weapon-balancing with the launch of Season 01.
- Last week we disabled the attachment tuning feature due to an issue affecting players with 4 or more tuned attachments equipped at once. We re-enabled attachment tuning in last night’s update so players should not encounter further issues equipping attachments on a weapon.
- Enemy or live ping will remain disabled in multiplayer until a fix is implemented with the launch of Season 01. This is due to a bug where ping remained on some players after death. KBM players are currently still able to danger ping.
- The player icon on the minimap will no longer disappear after a player is revived in certain modes.
- We have added Breenbergh Hotel into Third Person Moshpit
- There are no significant map changes, but we have patched various exploits and geometry bugs in the days since launch. We’ll continue to address small fixes through daily updates.
- We continue to refine our UI and will have more details in the Season 01 launch notes.
In addition to changes that we have already made, we are also actively tracking live issues. Some of the known issues at present include:
- We are aware of the following issues and fixes are in the works
- Riot shield provides invincibility against chopper gunner and VTOL
- DDOS Field upgrade availability bug
- A bug affecting helicopter height, which allows them to leave the map in some instances