New Smash Ultimate patch hits Nintendo servers, but no DLC 5 in sight - Dexerto
Smash

New Smash Ultimate patch hits Nintendo servers, but no DLC 5 in sight

Published: 8/Jan/2020 2:45

by Dustin Steiner

Share


Super Smash Bros Ultimate fans have been impatiently waiting for Nintendo to drop the curtain on the last remaining DLC in the original Fighter’s Pack, but with this new patch that debuted today, they’ll have to continue to wait. 

While a new Super Smash Bros. Ultimate patch is usually cause for celebration and the community feverishly gets to work, this patch is not a big one.

The new 6.1.1 patch only adds functionality for the newly released Dark Samus and Richter Amiibos. As such, there are no new balance discussions to be had.

Since that’s the case, there’s no need to back up your data for replays created in patch 6.1, and these replays will still function perfectly fine in the new patch software.

Amiibos have a carry-over function from the original Smash for Wii U and 3DS, and allow you to train and raise a CPU-controlled character who will learn. So if you’re someone who likes to throw a lot of projectiles, the Amiibo will block more. The same goes for players who tend to rush down, their defense will get tighter.

Nintendo/KonamiRichter and Dark Samus (not pictured) are the last two Smash Ultimate Amiibo from the game’s original cast to be released.

Eventually, especially in the high 90s in levels, the amiibo will become nearly invincible as it has an AI that you yourself have trained to counter your own tactics.

With the release of Richter and Dark Samus, the original cast of Smash Ultimate have all had their Amiibo released. Smash Ultimate’s DLC has yet to have amiibo announced with the exception of the Pirahna Plant.

Super Smash Bros Ultimate’s fifth DLC is expected to be announced at some point between now and the end of February, with the release window for said character in the same time period. The next Nintendo Direct will feature Pokemon on January 9, so it’s possible the last DLC is a new Pokemon from Sword and Shield.

However, Nintendo has previously stated that the Smash DLC would be from franchises that have yet to see play in the series, which would (in theory) prevent Pokemon from being included.

Smash

Smash insider’s claims Nintendo allegedly sabotaged esports goes viral

Published: 24/Nov/2020 17:47 Updated: 24/Nov/2020 19:43

by Michael Gwilliam

Share


A detailed report from a supposed Smash Bros insider has gone viral for indicating how Nintendo has been allegedly trying to destroy the game’s esports scene for many years.

Nintendo has created a recent rift with its player base after the company hit The Big House, an online tournament, with a cease and desist order for playing on a modded version of Melee that used Slippi. Slippi is a tool that gives Melee seamless online play in 2020.

Following the cease and desist, many pros have blasted Nintendo, with some, such as Team Liquid’s Juan ‘Hungrybox’ Debiedma calling on the community to fight back against the Japanese gaming juggernaut.

Now, a Twitter account simply named “AnonymousSmasher” has gone viral for posting a massive account of all the ways Nintendo has reportedly hurt the game in the past.

The TwitLonger, titled “How Nintendo Has Hurt the Smash Community,” was reportedly written months prior to The Big House’s cancelation, but was released anonymously for “obvious reasons.”

“To begin, I want to state that I am not a journalist. What I’m writing below is directly from what I’ve been told by the individuals who work at these companies or are deeply familiar with the business dealings of these companies by the nature of their position in esports,” the author warned to begin the piece.

Following this, the individual went into detail about how third-parties such as Eleague, ESL and MLG have attempted to work with Nintendo, but the company was near impossible to work with being slow to respond or asking outrageous licensing fees.

The Super Smash Bros Melee roster
Nintendo
Melee has had its share of growing pains as an esport.

According to the insider, Twitch “had been in negotiations with Nintendo to run a sanctioned circuit for Smash, including Smash 4 and Melee, starting around 2015.”

The insider then claims that Twitch was fronting the costs which would have had a budget in the millions. “During this time, it’d seem like Twitch was always close, only to have conversations left without a response from Nintendo for months, thus delaying the process,” the insider revealed.

“Eventually, around early 2018, after 3 years of man-hours and efforts to appease Nintendo, the parties came to an agreement. This wasn’t just a verbal agreement, or an agreement made in good faith. It was a written contractual agreement meant to kick off the circuit for both Melee and Smash 4,” they further added.

Unfortunately, it all came crashing down. “Unbeknownst to anyone, Nintendo had plans to announce Smash Ultimate in 2018. Nintendo began ghosting those working at Twitch, even after the agreement was made. Then, once Ultimate was announced, Nintendo came back to Twitch and effectively stated that the circuit no longer made sense with Ultimate in sight.”

The report has since been shared by prolific members of the community such as William ‘Leffen’ Hjelte who remarked, “I hope that one day we can #SaveSmash and its scene from Nintendo.”

Smash God Adam ‘Armada’ Lindgren seemed to confirm that a lot in the report was true. “I understand if people might be skeptical but believe me when I say that this is very accurate,” he said.

Of course take anything the anonymous poster says with a grain of salt. Without sources, their claims can’t be verified. However, it’s interesting that several prominent members of  the scene are backing it up. With the Smash community in an uproar, only time will tell if Nintendo finally backs down or if they dig their heels in continue to create a divide between them and the fandom.