Trainers from across the globe are enjoying the Christmas period and Niantic have, of course, brought a festive event to the world of Pokemon Go.
Niantic add various events to the ever popular mobile game throughout the year and there is no better time to add one than for the Christmas season. “Pokemon Go Holidays 2019” brings all sorts of features to the game, in addition to the bonuses that these events always bring.
The event began on December 24 (12am) and will finish on New Year’s Day (January 1, 11:59pm). This is based on your local time zone.
Holiday event features
Throughout the duration of the Pokemon Go Holidays 2019 event, the following features will be available, as per the official Pokemon Go blog.
These include species in holiday costumes, new Gen 5 species and two new shinies to try and find.
- Pokemon in holiday costumes: Pikachu, Raichu, and Pichu wearing beanies and Stantler wearing bells will appear in Pokemon GO for the first time!
- Pokemon appearing in the wild: Delightful Ice-type Pokemon will be appearing in the wild, such as Sneasel, Delibird, Snorunt, and more! Making its Pokemon GO debut will be Cubchoo, the Chill Pokemon!
- Pokemon appearing in Eggs: Alolan Sandshrew, Alolan Vulpix, Pichu wearing beanies, and Stantler wearing bells will be hatching from 7 km Eggs!
- Pokemon appearing in Raid Battles: Raichu wearing beanies and Stantler wearing bells will be available to challenge in two-star raids!
- Glacial Lure Modules: Throw a Glacial Lure Module onto a PokeStop near you, and you’ll have a chance of encountering Cryogonal, the Crystallizing Pokemon, making its Pokemon Go debut!
- Event-exclusive Field Research: Enjoy event-exclusive Field Research tasks that will reward you with the chance to encounter Pokemon like Pikachu wearing beanies!
- Save Shadow Pokemon! We have reason to believe that Team GO Rocket has turned more Pokémon, including Delibird, into Shadow Pokemon! There might be other Shadow Pokemon to discover in places high and low, so get out there and save them!
- If you’re lucky, you might encounter Shiny Stantler wearing bells and Shiny Snover!
- Winter-themed avatar items coming to the shop! You can look forward to a Stantler Sweater and a Stantler Headband as well as a Beanie Hat to match the one some Pikachu are wearing for this event!
Studying to be the very best, Trainers? ? Here’s a handy-dandy chart to show #PokemonGOHoliday Field Research tasks and their bonuses!
There’s nothing like the gift of knowledge. ? pic.twitter.com/6bUGmnnI5b
— Pokémon GO (@PokemonGoApp) December 24, 2019
More than the usual bonuses
The bonuses in the Pokemon Go Holiday are divided into two. The first are available for the entirety of the event, while others are divided over four sets of two days.
- Read More: Pokemon Go Buddy Adventure guide
To make it as clear as possible we have separated them in the table below.
|Bonus availability dates (local time zone)||Bonuses|
|Tuesday, December 24, 12am to Wednesday, January 1, 11:59pm||
|Tuesday, December 24, 12am to Wednesday, December 25, 11:59pm||
|Tuesday, December 26, 12am to Wednesday, December 27, 11:59pm||
|Tuesday, December 28, 12am to Wednesday, December 29, 11:59pm||
|Tuesday, December 30, 12am to Wednesday, January 1, 11:59pm||
That’s a lot of exciting bonuses to look forward to. If you want to maximize your chances of finding a high IV Pokemon or even a shiny, save your Pokemon Go walk until New Year’s Eve or New Year’s Day when you can take advantage of the 1/2 Egg Hatch Distance.
There is also some great offers in the PokeShop over the holidays. The Adventure Box is the perfect way to make the most of the discounted Egg Hatch bonus as it contains 10x Incubators and 10x Super Incubators.
The Holidays event is a great way to finish 2019 and we’re sure there will be plenty to look forward to in 2020!