Everything we know about Project Spartacus: Price, games, consoles included, exclusives
PlayStation Plus is being reworked to compete with Xbox Game Pass.
Sony’s alternative to Xbox Game Pass for PS5 is here. Here’s everything we know about the revamped PlayStation Plus tier system AKA Project Spartacus.
Xbox Game Pass has existed for a while now, but in recent years the service has exploded in popularity, changing the way many people experience games. The service offers value and convenience, meaning Sony was bound to take notice eventually and create their own Game Pass service for PS5. This is where Project Spartacus comes in.
On March 29, 2022, formally announced the long-awaited rival, outlining its plans, pricing structure
- What is Project Spartacus?
- Has Spartacus replaced PS Now?
- What will Spartacus include?
- How much will Spartacus cost?
- Are PlayStation day one exclusives included?
- When will Spartacus be released?
What is Project Spartacus?
Sony’s new PlayStation Plus and PlayStation Now combined service will provide players with a different range of options with regards to how they want to experience their PlayStation gaming.
- Read More: Tiny Tina’s Wonderlands review
Gamers will be able to select one of three different memberships that each come with a range of benefits in exchange for either a monthly or annual fee.
Has Spartacus replaced PS Now?
The PlayStation Plus name has been completely retained, but any ties to PS Now have all been fully integrated into the new and improved PS Plus model. Gamers will still be able to access a range of classic games from multiple PlayStation eras, but a subscription will still be required.
What does Project Spartacus include?
Along with their announcement blog, Sony detailed all three tiers that players will be able to subscribe to and they include all the existing features of a PS Plus membership. Depending on which one you choose, you will also have access to a range of PS1, PS3, PS4, PS5, and PSP games.
How much will Spartacus cost?
PlayStation Plus Essential
The essential package is basically what any PlayStation Plus owner is getting now. Free monthly games, access to Sony’s online services, cloud saving, and discounts. If the extended tiers and additional content fees incurred don’t interest you, then essential is the model for you.
- Two monthly downloadable games
- Exclusive discounts
- Cloud storage for saved games
- Online multiplayer access
PlayStation Plus Essential Prices
- United States:
- $9.99 monthly
- $24.99 quarterly
- $59.99 yearly
- €8.99 monthly
- €24.99 quarterly
- €59.99 yearly
- United Kingdom
- £6.99 monthly
- £19.99 quarterly
- £49.99 yearly
- ¥850 monthly
- ¥2,150 quarterly
- ¥5,143 yearly
PlayStation Plus Extra
As well as all the standard PlayStation Plus Essential features, fans can upgrade to the ‘Extra’ tier and add a huge library of PS4 and PS5 games to their subscription.
- Provides all the benefits from the Essential tier
- Adds a catalog of up to 400 of the most enjoyable PS4 and PS5 games – including blockbuster hits from our PlayStation Studios catalog and third-party partners. Games in the Extra tier are downloadable for play
PlayStation Plus Extra prices
- United States
- $14.99 monthly
- $39.99 quarterly
- $99.99 yearly
- €13.99 monthly
- €39.99 quarterly
- €99.99 yearly
- United Kingdom
- £10.99 monthly
- £31.99 quarterly
- £83.99 yearly
- ¥1,300 monthly
- ¥3,600 quarterly
- ¥8,600 yearly
- Provides all the benefits from Essential and Extra tiers
- Adds up to 340 additional games, including PS3 games available via cloud streaming, a catalog of beloved classic games available in both streaming and download options from the original PlayStation, PS2, and PSP generations
- Offers cloud streaming access for original PlayStation, PS2, PSP, and PS4 games offered in the Extra and Premium tiers in markets where PlayStation Now is currently available. Customers can stream games using PS4 and PS5 consoles, and PC
- Time-limited game trials will also be offered in this tier, so customers can try select games before they buy.
- United States
- $17.99 monthly
- $49.99 quarterly
- $119.99 yearly
- €16.99 monthly
- €49.99 quarterly
- €119.99 yearly
- United Kingdom
- £13.49 monthly
- £39.99 quarterly
- £99.99 yearly
- ¥1,550 monthly
- ¥4,300 quarterly
- ¥10,250 yearly
- Asia markets (excluding Japan): targeting May 23, 2022
- Japan: targeting June 1, 2022
- Americas: targeting June 13, 2022
- Europe: targeting June 22, 2022
PlayStation Plus Premium
The super-duper tier in the new PlayStation Plus service, Premium is the most expensive bundle and comes with everything.
PlayStation Plus Premium Prices
Are PlayStation day one exclusives included?
After studying the official notes to be sure, it seems that Sony have opted not to include any day one launch exclusives in any of their subscription models.
Xbox Game Pass has been a huge hit with gamers for offering this very service. But, for the time being, it doesn’t appear that PlayStation fans will have the same opportunities.
Subscribe to our newsletter for the latest updates on Esports, Gaming and more.
But Sony has said that subscribers can expect: “At launch, we plan to include titles such as Death Stranding, God of War, Marvel’s Spider-Man, Marvel’s Spider-Man: Miles Morales, Mortal Kombat 11, and Returnal.”
These are obviously the first steps on the road to a bigger and bolder PlayStation Plus service.
When will Spartacus be released?
Sony’s revamped PlayStation Plus offerings will release across a global rollout for different regions starting on May 23, 2022.
Sony is targeting the Asian markets (excluding Japan) as the first batch of recipients while Japan, the Americas and Europe following shortly after.
PlayStation Plus release rollout follows below:
Coupled with the expansion of PlayStation’s cloud streaming access to Bulgaria, Croatia, Czech Republic, Greece, Hungary, Malta, Poland, Republic of Cyprus, Romania, Slovakia, and Slovenia, a lot of PS players are in for massive amounts of content.
Once the new PlayStation Plus model lands, people will have tons of options to buy into Sony’s overhauled online subscription.
With so many games to look forward to, be sure to check out our content for the following PS5 exclusives.
God of War: Ragnarok | Wolverine | Spider-Man 2 | Horizon Forbidden West | Forspoken | Gran Turismo 7 | KOTR Remake