Barbie beats Avengers: Endgame’s box office record
Barbie can do and be anything, and now it seems she can even beat the Avengers, at least at a certain box office.
Anticipation was high for Barbie, and it’s safe to say that Greta Gerwig’s movie met those expectations, with both positive critical reception and a major box office pull in.
As we state in our 5-Star review of the movie, “Barbie is an enigma of a movie. It is a children’s film made for adults, done in a thoughtful and loving way. It’s comforting, but never pandering. Like finding one of your old dolls in a drawer at your parent’s house, Barbie manages to take a stereotypical object we’re all familiar with, and make it personally existential.”
That critical success has obviously translated into a box office bonanza, with Barbie a bona fide blockbuster. She’s even managed to beat out the Avengers in a certain way.
Barbie defeats the Avengers at Alamo Drafthouse
As of writing, Barbie has earned over $1.34 billion at the Worldwide Box Office, after scoring a billion in just 17 days.
Barbie is now the biggest global earning Warner Bros. movie ever, and the highest-grossing domestic movie of the year. Furthermore, it’s the biggest ever female solo directed film, and Greta Gerwig is now the first woman to independently helm a billion dollar movie. Currently, Barbie is the 17th highest-grossing movie of all time, and it will likely rise further in the ranks, due to its upcoming IMAX release.
Now, Barbie has just surpassed Avengers: Endgame to become the Alamo Drafthouse’s best-selling movie of all time.
According to Variety, the cinema chain known for in-theater dining and a strict no phones or talking policy admitted that Barbie is now their best-selling film, although no ticket sales were shown. Currently, Avengers: Endgame remains the second highest-grossing movie of all time with a box office total of $2,799,439,100 worldwide, meaning that Barbie still has some way to climb if she wants top beat Earth’s Mightiest Heroes for good.
Seems like Barbie really Ken do anything!
The Barbie movie is in cinemas worldwide now. Check out our other coverage below:
- Barbie Movie review: She’s everything, and so is Ken
- Barbie ending explained: Does Barbie become human?
- Best Easter eggs in the Barbie movie
- Barbie 2: Everything we know so far
- Does Barbie have a post-credits scene?
- Barbie reviews: First reactions praise “cinematic triumph”
- Is the new Barbie movie for kids?
- Barbie has a Snyder Cut joke and fans are already angry
- Barbie movie soundtrack: All songs, artists, & more
- Barbie banned in Vietnam over infamous “nine dash line”
- The 33 movies that inspired Barbie
- Barbie movie cast: All actors and characters