After weeks of hard work, the Pokemon Go Throwback Challenge Champion 2020 Special Research is here. If you haven’t earned it already here’s how to get it along with all the tasks and rewards.
For the last month Pokemon Go trainers have been completing weekly Special Research. These have been divided into the first four Pokemon regions – Kanto, Johto, Hoenn and Sinnoh.
The reward for successfully completing all four was to earn entry into the Throwback Challenge Champion Special Research. However, there is another way to unlock it.
How to get the Throwback Challenge Champion Special Research
If you didn’t manage to complete the four weeks of Special Research then the alternative is to buy it. It will cost $7.99 (or the same in your local currency) and will only be available from June 3, 1pm local time to June 8, 1pm local time.
It should be noted you can still complete the Special Research after this deadline but you won’t be able to buy it. Niantic have said “for an optimal gameplay experience” it is best to complete during the event.
Purchasing it is simple. Go to the Pokemon Go Shop within the app, tap the Learn More button, tap Buy and you’ll be notified confirming the ticket has been bought.
All tasks and rewards
Throwback Challenge Champion 2020 Tasks 1/5
- Make 15 Great Throws – Galarian Meowth encounter
- Catch 15 Pokemon – 1 Incense
- Transfer 15 Pokemon – 30 Ultra Balls
- Rewards: 500 Stardust, Gothita Encounter and 500 XP
Throwback Challenge Champion 2020 Tasks 2/5
- Evolve 5 Pokemon – 5 Rare Candy
- Hatch 15 Eggs – Oshawott encounter
- Win 15 Raids – 10 Max Revives
- Rewards: 500 Stardust, Darumaka encounter and 500 XP
Throwback Challenge Champion 2020 Tasks 3/5
- Make an Excellent Throw – 30 Rare Candy
- Battle Another Trainer 15 times – Tepig encounter
- Power Up Pokemon 15 times – 500 Stardust
- Rewards: 500 Stardust, Zebstrika encounter and 500 XP
Throwback Challenge Champion 2020 Tasks 4/5
- Give your Buddy 15 treats – 1 Golden Razz Berry
- Catch a Dragon-type Pokemon – Snivy encounter
- Take 15 Snapshots – 1 Silver Pinap Berry
- Rewards: 500 Stardust, Audino encounter and 500 XP
Throwback Challenge Champion 2020 Tasks 5/5
- Claim Reward – 5 Charged TMs
- Claim Reward – Galarian Stunfisk encounter
- Claim Reward – 1 Fast TM
- Rewards: Genesect encounter, 5 Rare Candy and 1 Professor Willow’s Glasses
As you can see this Special Research is going to be a lot harder than the previous ones. Hatching 15 Eggs is not a typo and it therefore may take a while to complete.
It will be worth it though, as the Mythical Genesect is waiting at the end. Unfortunately the rare Bug-type doesn’t really have a place in the Pokemon Go meta but nonetheless it is worth getting while you can!