How to get a Sun Stone in Pokemon Go
The Sun Stone is a rare item in Pokemon Go that can be used to evolve certain ‘mon including Petilil and Sunkern. Here’s exactly how you can get this important resource in the game.
Some items in Pokemon Go are simply put down to chance, and this is the case for the Sun Stone — a rare evolution resource that be used to evolve some specific ‘mon, including Gloom, Petilil, Helioptile, Cottonee, and Sunkern.
If you need to find the Sun Stone in the game, here’s everything we know to make your search easier.
- How to get a Sun Stone
- All Pokemon that evolve with Sun Stones
- How to evolve Pokemon with Sun Stones
This evolution item can only be acquired by spinning PokeStops and Gyms (and occasionally as Field Research rewards). With a measly 1% drop rate, getting your hands on one of the stones is a pretty difficult task.
To make matters worse, they drop alongside the game’s other evolution Items, meaning your chances of getting one are even slimmer.
Here are our top tips for getting a Sun Stone:
- Spin as many PokeStops and Gyms as you can.
- Visit a popular area where there are a lot of PokeStops, allowing you to maximize the amount you can spin in a short period of time.
- On the 7-day streak of your PokeStop Daily Bonus, you’ll receive a special evolution item. If you’re lucky, it might very well be the Sun Stone!
- There are sometimes event-exclusive Field Research or Special Research tasks that reward evolution items like the Sun Stone, so keep an eye out for them.
While obtaining a Sun Stone isn’t the easiest process in the world, with some time and patience, you might be rewarded.
These are the Pokemon that need a Sun Stone to evolve in the game:
|50 Cottonee Candy & Sun Stone
|100 Oddish Candy & Sun Stone
|50 Helioptile Candy & Sun Stone
|50 Petilil Candy & Sun Stone
|50 Sunkern Candy & Sun Stone
Thankfully there aren’t a lot of Pokemon that need the Sun Stone in order to evolve, so you won’t need to find too many of the rare evolution items to get them all.
Remember that each Pokemon will also require a certain amount of Candy to evolve, with Gloom requiring slightly more to evolve into Bellossom than the rest.
To evolve your chosen Pokemon with a Sun Stone once you’ve met the above requirements, all you need to do is follow these steps:
- On the Pokemon Go app, click the Poke Ball icon displayed at the bottom-middle of the screen.
- A menu will open. Select ‘Pokemon‘ to open your Pokedex.
- Find the creature you’d like to evolve and select it.
- On the next window, you’ll see ‘Evolve‘ displayed underneath ‘Power Up‘ if you meet the requirements. Select that.
That’s it! Your Pokemon will now use the Sun Stone to evolve, and your new evolution will be ready to use in battle.
So, there you have it — that’s everything you need to know about how to get a Sun Stone in Pokemon Go.
Fancy becoming the best trainer you can be? Check out all of our helpful guides: