James Charles bounces back to YouTube milestone in wake of drama with Tati Westbrook - Dexerto
Entertainment

James Charles bounces back to YouTube milestone in wake of drama with Tati Westbrook

Published: 22/May/2019 21:55 Updated: 22/May/2019 22:00

by Virginia Glaze

Share


Popular beauty YouTuber James Charles took a major hit in subscribers following the release of Tati Westbrook’s viral “Bye Sister” video in early May – but he isn’t down for the count, just yet.

Tati’s original video included a slew of damaging claims against Charles, accusing him of using his fame to “manipulate” the sexuality of straight men and promoting her direct competitor, ‘SugarBearHair,’ without fair warning.

Charles’ reputation wasn’t the only thing damaged by Tati’s video, either; he likewise saw a massive dip in subscribers shortly after reaching his 15 million milestone, dropping nearly three million subs in the aftermath of the drama.

Despite the severity of Tati’s allegations, Charles debunked each and every claim in a response video titled “No More Lies,” showing screenshots of texts as proof to back up his arguments – as well as older videos promoting Tati’s ‘Halo Beauty’ vitamin brand, even though she’d claimed that he’d never really touted the product in spite of their friendship.

Since then, Charles has seen an impressive upswing in subscribers, with many fans feeling that he had effectively “exposed” Tati for lying in her original video on the topic.

Charles now sits at just over 15 million subscribers as of May 22, marking a major comeback from a debacle that nearly destroyed his career – which even saw the likes of YouTube king Felix ‘PewDiePie’ Kjellberg being unsure of his chances of success, claiming that the scandal “could be the end” for Charles.

In wake of the issue, both Tati and makeup mogul Jeffree Star have backed down from their initial stance on the subject, with Star removing several Tweets and issuing a video apologizing to both Charles and his younger brother for his claims.

“I don’t want to play the games anymore,” Star said of the drama. “…I am not going to fuel this fire bigger so everyone can get more entertainment. Because, behind the scenes, this isn’t funny. These are our real lives.”

Tati has since announced that she will no longer comment on the matter, after taking a “digital break” following Charles’ well-received explanation.

Entertainment

KSI calls out Jake Paul after YouTuber KO’s Nate Robinson in boxing bout

Published: 29/Nov/2020 5:19

by Andrew Amos

Share


It’s been no time at all, but Olajide ‘KSI’ Olatunji has already called out Jake Paul ahead of their prospective bout at Madison Square Garden, saying that after his performance against Nate Robinson, Paul stands no chance.

It was the fight everyone had their eyes on November 28. On the undercard of Mike Tyson vs Roy Jones Jr, YouTuber Jake Paul was set to bout with NBA star Nate Robinson.

What we got instead was a bloodbath. Robinson was trounced by Paul, getting knocked down multiple times before Paul laid the final blow in the second round. Robinson barely laid a glove on Paul despite coming out all guns blazing.

While millions watched, there was one spectator on the sidelines with more on the line than most ⁠— Jake Paul’s next prospective opponent, KSI.

The YouTuber has already faced off against Paul’s older brother Logan, beating the American not once but twice. Jake fancies his chances a little bit better, but KSI wasn’t impressed by the younger brother’s skills against Robinson.

As soon as the fight ended, KSI already started the war back up with the Pauls. “I saw nothing special from Jake lol. Soon come,” he said on Twitter.

The thinly-veiled threat at Jake Paul is alluding to their prospective bout at Madison Square Garden, pending the current global situation.

Paul has been pretty vocal about making sure the fight goes ahead, saying he has a point to prove against the British YouTuber. “KSI vs Jake Paul is 100% gonna happen. If I die without that happening, I would be so upset. It has to happen, for the culture,” he said in September.

While Paul didn’t direct address KSI post-fight ⁠— instead calling out Conor McGregor for a bout ⁠— the rivalry between the two YouTubers is fierce.

One can only hope they do actually make good on their promise and get in the ring.