Epic Games have announced that a brand new in-game tournament system is coming to Fortnite: Battle Royale.
These new tournaments will be open to all players, and will appear in the ‘Events’ section of the battle royale mode of the game once the v6.10 update is released.
The tournaments will be played on specific dates and times, and players will be awarded points for both eliminations and high placements, depending on the exact format of each competition.
Each competition will have a target score that participating players will have to reach.
Getting enough points to reach target goals will award players with a shiny pin, which not only recognizes their achievement but potentially can advance them to further rounds or qualify them to win prizes.
Perhaps the biggest news regarding this announcement is the fact that all players will be considered equally when competing against each other, regardless of platform or of if they’re using a mouse, controller, or touch input device.
The initial schedule for the tournament series can be seen below, and specific times for each region will be provided once the tournament details are announced.
- Alpha Tournament (Solo)
- Dates: October 16 – October 21
- Description: Participate in the first in-game tournament, spanning across several days of daily competition!
- Beta Tournament (Duo)
- Dates: October 23 – October 25
- Description: Grab a friend and take on the world – until you are the last two left.
- Friday Night Fortnite (Squad)
- Dates: October 19 – November 30
- Description: Join your friends every Friday and kick off your weekend with some exciting Squad action.
- Salty Springs Cup (Solo)
- Dates: October 27 – October 31
- Description: One week and three attempts to prove you’re the saltiest that Salty Springs has to offer.
- Tomato Temple Cup (Duo)
- Dates: October 28 – November 1
- Description: Become legends of the Tomato Temple Cup.
While it appears for now that these tournaments are all standalone, one-round competitions, Epic are actively looking into expanding events to go multiple rounds, with players advancing if they obtain the special pin mentioned above.
The scoring methods for their tournaments will also vary, and there will be a special ‘Showdown Royale’ event that will allow players to qualify for the 2019 Fortnite World Cup.
Source – Epic Games