Activision have announced that the upcoming Call of Duty: Modern Warfare title will feature new additions called Operators and Operator Packs.
After months of anticipation, Modern Warfare was finally confirmed to be the 2019 installment of the CoD series in a reveal event on May 30.
As part of the reveal, it was announced that MW would feature Operators, which are unique characters that each have their own backstory, nationality, character dialogue, character skins, and cosmetic customization options.
So far, there have been three Operator Packs revealed, with each Pack containing an Operator, themed Operator skin, and a cosmetic weapon variant that’s unique to that character.
The three Operator Packs are detailed below, and are all included in the Operator Edition and Operator Enhanced Edition of Modern Warfare.
“Crew Expendable” Operator Pack
- Operator Name: Otter
- Themed Operator Skin: Special operations with gas mask.
- Cosmetic Weapon Variant: Short-barreled pump-action shotgun designed “for close encounters”; in fact, the phrase is scratched into the stock. The weapon also comes with oil and surface markings.
“All Ghillied Up” Operator Pack
- Operator Name: Grinch
- Themed Operator Skin: Full sniper ghillie suit.
- Cosmetic Weapon Variant: Bolt-action sniper rifle, in camouflage with additional netting and suppressor, and what seems to be coordinates scratched on the surface of the weapon above the trigger, near the bolt carrier.
“War Pig” Operator Pack
- Operator Name: Wyatt
- Themed Operator Skin: Ground infantry Desert camouflage with tac vest.
- Cosmetic Weapon Variant: Pistol with a lightweight custom trigger, flared magwell, grip with custom stippling, accessory rail (for mounting lasers or flashlights), and “War Pig” etched into the slide.
One of the most noteworthy aspects of these new Operators is that, while they are all unique in so many ways, none of them have any special abilities that can affect gameplay.
This means that, should they be introduced as playable characters in the Multiplayer, then they could potentialy replace Specialists, which have featured in three of the last four titles.
- Read More: Esports community share confusion over Call of Duty: Modern Warfare crossplay announcement
Specialists have been a very polarizing addition to Call of Duty, especially in Black Ops 4, with many players complaining that their special abilities take the games too far away from the fundamentals of CoD.
That being said, the Multiplayer reveal is yet to happen, so no one will know for sure whether Operators will indeed replace Specialists until then.
Modern Warfare – Everything we know so far
Modern Warfare was finally announced on May 30, as fans were treated to the first ever trailer of the game.
The release date for the game has been confirmed to be October 25, 2019, making it the second straight CoD title in a row to be released in October.
- Read More: Call of Duty: Modern Warfare – Campaign, new engine, cross-platform and everything else you need to know
While the Multiplayer and other modes were not touched upon, the campaign was thoroughly discussed, and is expected to the most controversial CoD story to date.
It’s also been confirmed that the game will feature full cross-platform play, becoming the first ever CoD game in which players on different platforms will be able to play with each other.