Denial Esports reportedly owe a massive amount for CWL spot and player salaries - Dexerto
Call of Duty

Denial Esports reportedly owe a massive amount for CWL spot and player salaries

Published: 17/May/2019 1:20 Updated: 17/May/2019 8:37

by Albert Petrosyan

Share


North American esports organization Denial Esports may end up having to pay a massive amount of the money that they reportedly owe to players and for their spot in the Call of Duty World League.

Not for the first time, controversy has surrounded Denial Esports this past few days, with the issue, once again, involving unpaid debts.

On May 13, Denial were accused by former CoD pro player Nathan ‘Natshay’ Dupuis of not paying players the salaries they had agreed upon when first signing with the org back in January.

According to information reported by Dot Esports, the org and players signed letters of intent that would end up with the players getting paid a combined €26,000 ($29,618.86).

However, seeing as how none of the five players had received any salary during the three months that they were part of the team, Denial could owe them a combined €79,500 ($88,856.59) in unpaid salaries.

CWLThe five former Denial CoD pros are reportedly owed a combined €79,500 in unpaid salary.

In addition to the unpaid salaries, Denial allegedly also owe another €40,000 ($44,707.72) to Overtime Esport, the org with whom the players originally qualified for the Pro League, but whose spot was transferred to Denial.

According to reports, when Overtime were not paid the money they were owed for the spot, they reached out to MLG, but when the matter did not get resolved, they eventually release their own statement on social media. 

Today, through this message, we want to break the silence.

As some have noted, Overtime has been inactive since January 28, the official date of the announcement of our CoD team’s departure for Denial.

Overtime has continued to evolve in recent years on Call Of Duty, from amateur to Pro League. We have quickly reached a stage of development where funding is essential to keep our operations going. We had an extraordinary journey with our players who qualified in CWL Pro League, it was very hard for us to let them go, but we respected an arrangement that had been made between us before they came to us for CWL Vegas. Then it was an evil for a good in the end, the money recovered from the spot would have allowed us to prosper our projects and make us pass a new level in esports. Unfortunately, nothing has happened as planned since that day.

We are still waiting for a sum of several tens of thousands of euros for the sale of the CWL Pro League spot that we got earlier this year.

Measures have been taken and procedures have been launched, but if we want this story to come to an end, unfortunately we cannot go into any more detail at this time.

We want to show our support to Lucas, Nathan and Ryan who are in a similar situation to ours. We hope that this story will be brought back to order as soon as possible and that everyone can continue their journey with what they deserve.

With the two sums added together, Denial could end up paying a whopping €119,500 ($133,564) to the players and Overtime Esport before this is all said and done. 

CWLThe players originally qualified for the CWL Pro League with Overtime Esport, who claim Denial never payed them for their spot.

The exact amount they will end up paying, however, is still well up in the air, as there are some details that will need to be closely examined before Denial start dishing out money.

For one, according to reports, Denial COO Justin Jacobson and co-owner Zach Smith have maintained that the contracts that were offered to the players did not guarantee them any salary, since they could not be officially paid until they acquired P1-A Visas.

Instead, the org covered the players’ costs for living expenses, such as food and hotel, until their Visa situation was dealt with. 

However, Smith told Dot Esports that he personally feels that the players should be compensated, despite the fact that Denial technically don’t owe them anything.

“Me personally, they are owed money,” Smith said. “Now, would it matter if I gave them a million dollars under the table? We still couldn’t pay them legally without the P-1A Visas. Now, from a legal standpoint, do we owe them money? No, but we are rectifying the situation no matter what.”

Skillshot MediaDenial co-owner Zach Smith, who has since stepped down from day-to-day operations, believes the players should still get paid.

No end in sight to Denial controversy

This ongoing controversy has reflected pretty negatively on Denial, at least from the public’s perspective, and ultimately led to Smith stepping down from daily operations with the team. 

Some aspects of the situation remain very unclear at this point, so there’s no telling when this financial issue between Denial, their former players, and Overtime will be resolved.

As always, we will continue providing you updates on this story as more information becomes available. 

Call of Duty

Scump says “a lot could go wrong” with CDL switching to PC next season

Published: 21/Oct/2020 0:06

by Albert Petrosyan

Share


With the Call of Duty League switching from console to PC for the 2021 season, at least at the professional level, Chicago Huntsmen’s legendary CoD pro Seth ‘Scump’ Abner has detailed some of the potential issues that could arise.

The Call of Duty League’s switch from console to PC was inevitable, but that doesn’t mean the transition will be without its faults; one major concern, of course, has been hacking. Maybe not in the competitive scene, but the growing presence of PC in CoD this year (with the addition of cross-play and Warzone) has exposed Activision’s inability to handle the issue on a large scale.

Add in the fact that the CDL’s Challengers circuit and in-game ranked mode(s), for example, will support both console & PC, and suddenly the concern is heightened. And while it’s unlikely that anyone in the pro ranks would cheat, if the 2021 season starts out online, there’s a chance that, at the very least, accusations could start flying around.

Scump was asked about this switch during one of his recent streams and, uncoincidentally, hacking was the first thing he brought up: “The one thing that could go wrong – if there’s hackers, any kind of competitive playlist is chalked. That’s definitely something to worry about.”

“That is going to be very annoying if hackers just run rampant in all the ranked playlists,” he went on. “If there are hackers, it’s chalked. There’s supposed to be anti-cheat in the works? Hopefully, they do a good job with it and hopefully, everything is good.”

The veteran also brought up the potential situations where the gaming rigs experience issues during competitions: “‘PC crash during a tournament is bound to happen,’ more than likely, yeah. There’s a lot of things that could go wrong, definitely a LOT of things that could go wrong.”

There was one positive bit of news that Scump revealed during this discussion: the CDL is working on adding a ‘pause feature’ that would allow them to stop and start matches if need be.

The lack of such a feature really became apparent during the 2020 campaign, especially the CDL Playoffs, when teams like OpTic Gaming LA and London Royal Ravens had players booted offline mid-match.

As a result, since the disconnections occurred too late into the respective Hardpoint games, both teams had to play the round a man down, 4v5, which inevitably led them to lose.

Needless to say, had a pause feature existed, the whole situation could have been avoided. Instead, the CDL was forced to stream all matches with a massive delay so that viewers with ill-intentions couldn’t hit anyone offline.

CDL Hardpoint restart rules
Call of Duty League
Without a pause feature, the CDL installed these unpopular rules for if/when Hardpoint matches needed to be restarted.

Ultimately, the Call of Duty League’s switch to PC is a “step in the right direction,” as Scump remarked, but there are definitely potential problems that could stem from the transition. We’ll just have to wait and see.

For more information about the upcoming campaign, make sure to visit our CDL 2021 season hub.