Slasher responds to the President on Fox News over video game violence and mass shootings - Dexerto
Entertainment

Slasher responds to the President on Fox News over video game violence and mass shootings

Published: 6/Aug/2019 9:04 Updated: 20/Nov/2020 12:14

by Calum Patterson

Share


In the wake of tragic mass shootings in El Paso, Texas and Dayton, Ohio, video games have once again come under scrutiny from politicians and the media, prompting esports industry expert Rod ‘Slasher‘ Breslau to speak out against video game blame on Fox News.

On Sunday, August 4, Slasher had been vocal about his opposition to the arguments made about violent video games and their supposed link to real-life violence, particularly by guests on Fox News.

Both GOP House minority leader Kevin McCarthy and Texas Lieutenant Governor Dan Patrick cited video games as part of the problem, which Slasher called out on Twitter, calling them ‘dipshits’.

In an attempt to provide balance to the conversation, Slasher revealed that he would be back on the Daily Briefing with Dana Perino to explain why video games are, in fact, not to blame.

Breslau previously appeared on Perino’s show to discuss the Fortnite World Cup, but was back now to discuss more serious matters, speaking for a huge population of gamers who felt persecuted for their hobby following the shootings.

“Video games are an international, worldwide phenomenon, including these first-person shooters,” Breslau explained, “But these (shootings) only happen here in America, we do not see or have that violence anywhere else in the world.”

Responding directly to the comments made by politicians, including the US President, who claimed “gruesome and grisly video games” were part of the mass shooting problem, Breslau called it “total nonsense.”

“All forms of entertainment, whether it’s video games, movies or music, do not directly influence someone to (commit) violent acts,” Slasher states, saying that to claim otherwise is perpetuating a lazy stereotype.

Daily Briefing host Dana Perino closed the segment by referencing the 2018 findings from Oxford University that “there was no evidence for a critical tipping point relating violent game engagement to aggressive behavior.”

Following his appearance, Slasher explained that he was more nervous discussing this issue than the Fortnite World Cup on Fox, but hoped he “represented the video game and esports industry proudly”.

Entertainment

TikTokers slam paparazzi for “stalking” Charli D’Amelio & Chase Hudson

Published: 29/Nov/2020 13:29

by Connor Bennett

Share


A number of TikTok stars have hit out at paparazzi, asking them to stop “stalking” Charli D’Amelio and Chase Hudson after a video of them at the airport was uploaded to YouTube. 

With the success of TikTok around the globe, a number of creators like Charli and Dixie D’Amelio, Addison Rae, and Bryce Hall have become stars thanks to their viral videos. 

However, the fame and popularity that social media brings, fans want to know more. They’re desperate for updates on relationships, where their favorite stars are living, and how they’re getting on away from the TikTok videos. 

Many of TikTok’s stars will conduct interviews with paparazzi and other media outlets on a regular basis, but one has come under fire from TikTokjers for apparently “stalking” Charli D’Amelio and Chase Hudson. 

Charli D'Amelio speaks to the camera during a video.
YouTube: Charli D'Amelio
Charli D’Amelio is TikTok’s biggest star, and garners the most attention.

Kevin Wong posted a video of Charli and Chase reuniting at LAX. However, it didn’t go down well with some of the pair’s fellow TikTok stars. 

“You’re taking stalking to a new level. Give them some privacy,” Hype House founder Thomas Petrou said. He also added a simple message, asking Wong to stop as well. 

Additionally, Mia Haywood and Bryant Eslava posted similar messages as Petrou. “Did you really follow them to the airport? Chill with that,” said Mia. “Damn, this is too far Kevin,” added Bryant. 

 

View this post on Instagram

 

A post shared by tiktokinsiders <3 (@tiktokinsiders)

Wong responded with a comment of his own, claiming that he was already at the airport waiting for somebody else, and hadn’t actually followed the D’Amelio’s anywhere. 

“I was already at LAX waiting for someone to show up, then I saw a big white Rolls Royce drive around and saw Mr D’Amelio & Charli,” he said. 

Neither of Charli or Chase have responded to the drama themselves, and it might just be a case of others fighting the battle for them. 

We’ll just have to wait and see if any similar responses come up in the future, or if the pair decide to respond themselves.