Modern Warfare Season Two is finally here after a delay, dropping on February 11 with a batch of new content and some much-needed updates. Here’s everything that it includes as well as the official patch notes.
It’s been a long first season of Modern Warfare, but overall it was a success, at least certainly by Activision’s metrics for microtransaction revenues so far.
But, it wasn’t without complaints too. Notably, the lack of ranked playlist, months into the game’s lifecycle, left more competitive players feeling ignored. Infinity Ward is rectifying this with Season Two, but only partially, with a new CDL ruleset playlist – but it’s not ranked.
Modern Warfare Season 2 update release time
Season Two starts on February 11, with the full update expected to be available at around 10am PST / 1pm EST / 6pm GMT.
Some players on PC have been notified of scheduled maintenance taking the game offline at 7am PST / 10am EST / 3pm GMT on February 11, lasting approximately one hour.
What’s in Modern Warfare Season Two?
As expected, there are new maps and weapons dropping, plus a new operator, which looks like it will be the standard season content. At first, there will be two regular maps, one Ground War map, a gunfight map, two new weapons, and one operator, but more are coming later in the season.
New Maps: Rust and more
First, on February 11, MW2 classic ‘Rust’ will be playable as both a standard multiplayer map and a gunfight map.
Additionally, a brand new map, Atlas Superstore will be a more regular-sized 6v6 map: “Battle in dense lanes of traffic, over fallen shelving, and throughout the shipping, receiving, and employee-only areas.”
There’s also a new Ground War map, Zhokov Boneyard, reminiscent of Scrapyard from Modern Warfare 2, with old discarded airplane parts. Then for Gunfight, there is the new ‘Bazaar’ map, set in the streets of the fictional Urzikstan.
For new weapons, there will be the UMP-inspired ‘Striker 45’ and a new 5.56-caliber weapon, the Grau.
Later in Season 2, another ‘classified’ weapon will be added to the arsenal.
Initially, Ghost will be the new operator, but will later be joined by two more: Talon and Mace. We don’t know much about these two, except Mace used to be in the same unit as Ghost, until “things changed.”
To deliver this content, there’s a brand new battle pass that players can purchase starting February 11. Both the new weapons are available through the battle pass, with the Grau 5.56 at Tier 15, and the Striker 45 at Tier 31.
Ghost is unlocked at Tier 0, and the battle pass bundle option will automatically unlock the first 20 tiers, but will cost a premium over the standard battle pass purchase.
You can find out everything you need to know about the Season 2 Battle Pass here, including all 100 tiers of new content, the price, and more.
For a full look at everything coming this season, including new multiplayer modes, the complete roadmap shows what’s being added on day one of Season 2 and everything else that’ll be released at various points in the upcoming weeks.
Modern Warfare Season Two Patch Notes
- New Operator: Ghost!
- New Weapons: Grau 5.56 and Striker 45
- CDL Playlist (Hardpoint, Domination, Search and Destroy)
- Realism Ground War (previously Realism Mosh Pit)
- Adding Boneyard into Ground War rotation
- “I have Rust Issues” – 6v6 Mosh Pit
- Gunfight Snipers 3v3
- Rust: available in 2v2 and 6v6 playlists
- Atlas Superstore: available in 6v6 and 10v10 playlists
- Regiments! (check them out in the Social menu!)
- New Trials!
- Special Ops Survival: Azhir Cave (Sony Exclusive!)
- Akimbo Weapon Perk! (available in Gunsmith)
* A note from the team: Bazaar and Gunfight Tournaments will go live later in the season!
- Fix for the “Focused” challenge not tracking properly
- Krovnik Farmland
- Added back into rotation
- Removed access to the second floor in a handful of centrally located houses (see image below)
- Fixes for various exploits across Ground War maps
- Fixed an issue where players could team kill Care Package owners and teammates capturing Care Packages
- Fix for Platinum and Damascus camos sometimes having a blinding glare when in certain areas that contain sunlight
- Fix for a rare bug that could prevent players from accessing the barracks, weapons, and/or Operators tabs after matches
- Disabled the “Copy Loadout” feature
- Trophy System: Deploy time has been reduced by about half a second
- Fixed a bug that allowed players to get infinite Weapon Drops by cancelling Killstreaks. Killstreaks are no longer usable when the Weapon Drop grenade is equipped
- Fixed a bug where objectives were not giving Field Upgrade progress
Perks – Rebalancing
- Perk 1 Slots
- Overkill: Switched places with Killchain and will now be in Perk 2
- E.O.D.: Removed hacking ability (added to Spotter perk)
- Double Time: Double the recharge rate of Tactical Sprint
- Quick Fix: Reduced health regeneration delay – any kill will immediately start regeneration
- Perk 2 Slots
- Ghost: Remove Snapshot grenade immunity (moved to Battle Hardened)
- Restock: Change the equipment recharge rate from 30 to 25 seconds
- Killchain: Switched places with Overkill In Perk 1
- Pointman: Increase the score gain for Scorestreaks across all modes
- Perk 3 Slots
- Tune Up: Increase Field Upgrade cost reduction
- Spotter: Added hacking ability (from E.O.D.); we’re currently working on the ability to hack through walls.
- Battle Hardened:
- Added Snapshot grenade immunity (moved from Ghost)
- Added Gas grenade resistance:
- Cough is no longer played when a player enters gas
- Reduced slowdown under gas effect
- Reduced blur when under gas effect
- Fix for some kills not tracking properly when attempting to unlock the Crossbow
- Fixed explosive Fury crossbow bolts to not kill Juggernauts in one hit
- Very slight tuning to the reload speed. We’re still fine tuning this one, so more adjusting is in the works!
- Fixed a bug where the Crossbow did not do any melee damage to Deployable Cover
- SA87– Smoothed out recoil, increased damage
- Increased RAM-7 extended mags ammo count from 45 to 50
- *A note from the weapons team! The Solozero NVG Enhanced is supposed to see through smoke, but a rendering bug broke this one optic temporarily. We’ll have it fixed shortly!
- Operation Harbinger: Fixed an issue with a checkpoint that could cause players to spawn under the map
Keyboard and Mouse
- Added Change to Loadout keybinds for Custom Loadouts 6 to 10, allowing players to quickly switch to any of their favorite Loadouts with the press of a button.
- Fixed a visual issue where highlighting the usernames of multiple people in a lobby with the mouse cursor could lead to multiple Emblem/Player Card/Level UI elements appearing and overlapping each other.
Call of Duty League:
- Removed Specialist restrictions
- For Keyboard & Mouse Codcasters, it is now possible to bring up player Field Upgrades by pressing a key in the same way as they can with Killstreaks. This also shows the exact progress until each player unlocks their respective Field Upgrade.
- Player health levels are displayed in the background of their portraits
- Player numbers are now displayed in the minimap and are larger when viewed on the full map
- When using the Tracker perk, footprints are now visible even when the Bullet Impacts & Sprays option is disabled in the Graphics tab
- Several fixes to prevent crashes and improve stability