Best superhero movies of 2023, including The Marvels
We’re keeping a list of 2023’s best superhero movies – according to Rotten Tomatoes – and The Marvels has just joined their ranks.
The Marvels has rolled out across the globe this week, with the latest MCU movie hitting US and UK screens today.
The Dexerto review is now live, where we wrote that the movie is: “a bit like pre-wedding planning – something old, something new, something borrowed, and something surprisingly blue. Bringing in factors from other Marvel TV shows and films in such an obvious way should be to its detriment, but somehow everything seems to work well enough. This is largely due to the fresh set of eyes director Nia DaCosta is bringing to the franchise, straying away from the methodical narrative plans of Marvel films gone by.”
What have other critics made of the movie however? Below you’ll find a list of how Carol, Monica and Kamala’s adventure stacks up against the rest of 2023’s superhero releases on Rotten Tomatoes. As well as what audiences think, plus where we rank the movie.
Best superhero movies of 2023, according to Rotten Tomatoes
The following are all the superhero movies released theatrically in 2023, listed from best-to-worst according to Rotten Tomatoes critic score.
- 96% – Spider-Man: Across the Spider-Verse
- 96% – Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles: Mutant Mayhem
- 82% – Guardians of the Galaxy Vol. 3
- 79% – The Marvels
- 78% – Blue Beetle
- 77% – Paw Patrol: The Mighty Movie
- 64% – The Flash
- 49% – Shazam: Fury of the Gods
- 46% – Ant-Man and the Wasp: Quantumania
Meaning The Marvels is the fourth best superhero movie of 2023, according to critics. While as well as being the worst-reviewed MCU movie of all time, Ant-Man 3 is also bottom of the pile when it comes to 2023 superhero movies.
2023 comic book movies, according to the RT audience
The audience reviews on Rotten Tomatoes are generally kinder to superhero movies, and that’s the case when it comes to this 2023 crop. With those audience scores as follows:
- 94% – Spider-Man: Across the Spider-Verse
- 94% – Guardians of the Galaxy Vol. 3
- 94% – Paw Patrol: The Mighty Movie
- 92% – Blue Beetle
- 90% – Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles: Mutant Mayhem
- 86% – Shazam: Fury of the Gods
- 83% – The Flash
- 82% – Ant-Man and the Wasp: Quantumania
- 45% – The Marvels
While The Marvels is a hit with the critics, audiences have given the movie a thumbs-down via a rating of just 45%.
Best superhero movies of 2023, according to Dexerto
That’s what the Rotten Tomatoes critics and audience thinks. While the following is how we break them down via our five-star rating system. You can click on each title to be taken to the full review.
- 5-stars – Guardians of the Galaxy Vol. 3
- 4-stars – Spider-Man: Across the Spider-Verse
- 4-stars – Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles: Mutant Mayhem
- 4-stars – The Marvels
- 3-stars – Blue Beetle
- 3-stars – The Flash
- 3-stars – Shazam: Fury of the Gods
- 3-stars – Paw Patrol: The Mighty Movie
- 2-stars – Ant-Man and the Wasp: Quantumania
GOTG takes our top spot over Spidey, TMNT, and The Marvels. But Ant-Man and the Wasp: Quantumania remains the worst superhero movie of 2023.
We’ll update these lists when Aquaman hits screens worldwide this Christmas. Until then, you can check out more movie coverage here.