Riot Games have revealed the complete rework for League of Legends champion Mordekaiser.
With League of Legends now approaching 150 total champions, naturally some find themselves no longer fitting in the modern game, either because of the evolution of champion design style or simply because they no longer have much of a niche.
Having been released in February 2010, Mordekaiser is one of the older champions in the game, and Riot have decided the time is right to give him both a visual and gameplay overhaul.
In updating Mordekaiser, Riot wanted to make the champion’s kit more appropriate for his aesthetic. The mace-wielding, heavily-armored lord of death previously had a kit that largely relied on spells, which didn’t entirely line up with what the appearance of the character would suggest.
The new Mordekaiser instead leans into physical duels, with focus on remaining and surviving in close-quarters combat.[ad name=”article3″]
Mordekaiser’s most iconic original ability was his ultimate, which, if the target died while it was active, would raise the ghost of an enemy to fight alongside him.
While Riot attempted to keep the ghosts as part of his kit, eventually this ability was replaced with Realm of Death, which brings a single enemy player into the Death Realm for a seven-second one-versus-one, during which time both players are separated from their respective teams.
Mordekaiser’s new abilities:
Passive – Darkness Rise
- Mordekaiser’s basic attacks deal bonus magic damage. After three spells or attacks against a champion, Darkness Rise deals damage to nearby enemies and gives movement speed until Mordekaiser is out of combat.
Q – Obliterate
- Mordekaiser slams down his mace, dealing damage in an area or bonus damage to a single enemy.
W – Indestructible
- The evil overlord absorbs 25% of damage taken and damage dealt. Casting once generates a shield with this value. Mordekaiser can cast again to consume 50% of the shield for health
E – Death’s Grasp
- Passive: Mordekaiser gains 25% Magic Penetration.
- Active: A deadly claw drags enemies towards him, dealing damage.
R – Realm of Death
- Mordekaiser banishes a single enemy champion to the Death Realm for a 7 second 1v1, stealing a percent of their core stats. If he kills his target, he consumes their soul, keeping their partial stats until they respawn.
Riot have yet to announce when the new Mordekaiser rework will actually go live, but with details having been finalized it seems players should be able to try it out fairly soon.