Multiple Dead in Shooting at Madden Esports Event in Jacksonville, Florida - Dexerto
General

Multiple Dead in Shooting at Madden Esports Event in Jacksonville, Florida

Published: 26/Aug/2018 18:14 Updated: 15/Oct/2020 15:35

by Calum Patterson

Share


Police have confirmed that there have been multiple fatalities following a mass shooting at a Madden esports tournament in Jacksonville, Florida.

Update: Sheriff of Jacksonville Mike Williams has confirmed that there is a total of 14 injuries and three fatalities. One of the fatalities is the shooter, David Katz.

The shooting took place at a Satellite qualifier at the Jacksonville Landing, where amateurs and professional players were competing for a spot at Madden 19’s first Madden Classic.

600https://twitter.com/JSOPIO/status/1033787509157883904600https://twitter.com/JSOPIO/status/1033789526043443201

Jacksonville Sheriff’s Office confirmed the shooter was a competitor at the event. Reported by the LA Time, Katz opened fire after he lost, before turning the gun on himself, although this could not be immediately confirmed.

600https://twitter.com/latimes/status/1033795491153276928

Professional NBA 2K player Tim “LARRY2K” Anselimo was shot three times, but confirmed via Twitter that he has survived, requiring surgery.

600https://twitter.com/oLARRY2K/status/1033956774825615360

CompLexity Gaming Madden player is among the injured, according to the organization. They have since said he is “fine and only suffered a small injury”.

600https://twitter.com/compLexity/status/1033787282808090632

The player himself, Drini Gjoka, was one of the first to post on social media about the attack, and confirmed he had been hit in the thumb.

600https://twitter.com/YoungDrini/status/1033771347036590081

EA Games, who publishes Madden and plays an integral part in its esports scene, posted a short statement to social media, saying they are working with authorities.

600https://twitter.com/EAMaddenNFL/status/1033796296530898947

General

Police hunt for suspect after hoax hostage situation at Ubisoft Montreal

Published: 13/Nov/2020 19:45 Updated: 14/Nov/2020 0:37

by Theo Salaun

Share


Reports indicate that there is an ongoing hostage situation involving dozens of people at Ubisoft Montreal’s headquarters in the Mile-End neighborhood of Montreal, Quebec. There have been no confirmed injuries.

Update (7:35 p.m. ET): Ubisoft Montreal have released a statement regarding the hostage situation. “We are extremely relieved this was resolved without incident and we’d like to thank you all for your support and kind words.”

No injuries were reported at the offices. Montreal Police are launching a full investigation into the call.

Update (5:04 p.m. ET): All of the Ubisoft Montreal’s building occupants are being safely evacuated by Montreal’s police force and the police have joined local news in suggesting that the situation was, in fact, a hoax perpetrated by a call within the Ubisoft headquarters. No suspect has been identified or apprehended at this point, but the SPVM are actively investigating.

Update (4:04 p.m. ET): While local news outlets are reporting that the hostage situation was a hoax, Montreal’s police force have indeed confirmed that there appears to be no active threat and that the building’s occupants are being evacuated.

Update (3:33 p.m. ET): Little is known about the police force’s ongoing activity in attempts to enter the building, but CTV News reports that Ubisoft’s employees have been told, via company memo, to “hide in an area that locks and to keep quiet.”

Update (3:00 p.m. ET): Heavily armed Montreal police tactical units are approaching the building and preparing to make entry. Dozens of employees remain on roof and no injuries or negotiations with the suspects have been reported thus far.

Update (November 13, 2020 at 2:49 p.m. ET): Police appear to have barricaded off the daycare at Ubisoft Montreal’s headquarters, at least 50 employees have barricaded themselves atop the building’s roof, and tactical police units have blocked off surrounding streets and appear to be preparing to make entry. Current reports indicate that there have been no injuries thus far, according to local news on the scene.

With numerous reports and tweets from local news and Ubisoft Montreal employees, respectively, it appears that a hostage situation is unfolding at the company’s headquarters but that all employees are safe. 

In the afternoon, it was reported by Quebec’s TVA Nouvelles that dozens of hostages were being held at Ubisoft Montreal’s building on Saint Laurent Boulevard. This ongoing situation was echoed by Montreal’s police department, who put out public announcements to avoid the area due to the police’s efforts there.

Shortly after, numerous employees, including Programming Project Lead Gavin Young and a Production Marketer for Assassin’s Creed: Valhalla, tweeted that they were indeed safe and sound despite what was happening in the building.

Although ‘Valskuiken’ tweeted that they would be going home, it appears that a large conglomerate of employees have made their ways to the building’s roof and have barricaded themselves up there by blocking off the door to the exterior.

Further, reports from TVA Nouvelles indicate that a ransom request has been made by the suspects, but it is unclear what has come of it as police continue to operate in the vicinity.

At present, it appears that numerous employees are safe but it is unclear what is precisely happening with the situation given the multi-floor building’s space and large occupancy. At least 50 employees have made it to the roof, wherereports show they are holding up safely. However, in anticipation of the police force making entry into the building, it seems that ambulances and a tactical police force are arriving to the scene.

As reports indicate, the tactical forces approaching the building include numerous police officers, tactical police units, and heavier vehicles. There have been no indications of injuries thus far, so it appears that the ambulances are predominantly a precautionary measure.

We will be continuing to update this page with updates as they come in and as the Montreal police force and local news provide information to the public about the current circumstances.