Fortnite

Fortnite streamer who attacked pregnant partner escapes jail sentence

Published: 13/Nov/2019 5:46 Updated: 13/Nov/2019 5:55

by Isaac McIntyre

Share


Fortnite streamer Luke ‘MrDeadMoth’ Munday, who assaulted his pregnant partner while streaming the battle royale game on Twitch has escaped a jail sentence, after claiming his actions were made in “excessive self-defense.”

The 27-year-old pleaded guilty to physically assaulting his former partner just out of frame during one of his broadcasts in December 2018.

Munday’s partner, who was heavily pregnant with their third child, repeatedly asked him to stop his broadcast and come to dinner, distracting him from the game.

He then left his desk, and moved out of camera-shot, where she and at least one child could be heard yelling and screaming while he spoke.

He returned to his desk momentarily, before standing up a second time and attacking his partner, again out of frame. She threw objects at him, before Munday struck her across the left side of her face, and then pushed her to the ground.

Dean Lewins for APPMunday was sentenced to a 14-month community corrections order.

Munday, who his lawyer Steven Mercael argued was a “loving, caring person with no history of domestic violence,” was sentenced to a 14-month community corrections order at Picton Local Court on Wednesday morning, as reported by the ABC.

Mr. Mercael argued that the former Telstra employee, who lost his job and is reportedly unemployed “because of media coverage,” was acting in “excessive self-defense,” and said Munday had been subject to domestic violence himself.

The Sydney local’s lawyer added that this ongoing abuse from partner Grace Campbell caused the streamer to “snap.”

TwitchMunday was streaming on Twitch when the assault occurred just off-screen.

Magistrate Mark Douglass recorded the conviction, added a good behavior condition as part of the sentencing, and revealed that he would have sent Munday to jail for an extended period of time “if not for submissions made on his behalf.”

He also directed his closing statement towards Munday, and reminded him that he had assaulted his pregnant partner in clear view of his two children.

“There’s no need to do great research to find that children who witness domestic violence struggle,” he added when handing down the sentencing. “It has a real impact on them. The response was not appropriate, unlawful, and violent.”

Following the sentencing, Mr. Mercael added that Munday was “remorseful” for his actions, and told the court that the Fortnite streamer had been paying for accommodation for his ex-partner and children.

“He’s disgusted with his behavior, he’s ashamed,” his lawyer said. “It is irresponsible behavior. He takes complete responsibility for what occurred. He sobbed, and wept when he saw messages of abuse from the public.”

AAPMunday allegedly ‘sobbed and wept” from the public abuse after he assaulted his partner.

Following Munday’s allegations that he too had been assaulted, which sparked his violent on-stream outburst, NSW Police investigated his partner, Ms. Campbell. She has now also been charged with common assault.

“The woman allegedly assaulted the man, and he sustained minor injuries,” according to a statement by NSW Police last week. It is alleged the main assault from Ms. Campbell came when she threw a kettle at Munday.

Ms. Campbell was charged with two counts of common assault, domestic violence assault occasioning actual bodily harm, and contravening a domestic AVO. She was granted bail, and must regularly report to Campbelltown police station.

The New DailyMunday and lawyer Steven Mercael arrive at Picton Local Court.

Mr. Munday has been permanently banned from streaming on Twitch since December 2018, and is unlikely to have his restrictions lifted by the broadcasting platform following his sentencing.


Domestic Violence Hotlines:

  • USA: 1-800-799-7233
  • UK: 0808-2000-247
  • Australia: 1800-737-732
Fortnite

Fortnite leak reveals more classic vehicles returning soon

Published: 16/Jan/2021 13:06

by Connor Bennett

Share


A fresh Fortnite leak has hinted at the return of some classic vehicles, including the controversial Baller hamster ball and even the ATK Golf Cart. 

Back in Fortnite Season 4, Epic Games gave fans of the battle royale a new way to get around the island – a shopping cart. From there, the vehicles in Fortnite have only gotten bigger and better. 

Though, they haven’t been without controversy. The Baller, X-4 Stormwing, and Brute Mech were the source of much anger in the Fortnite community because of how powerful they were – with all three prompting exploits where players could easily win games without much legwork. 

In Fortnite Chapter 2, a number of different cars have been introduced. They’re not as whacky or powerful as the old vehicles, and while they are helpful, some players do yearn for the Shopping Cart and Quadcrasher’s returns. 

fortnite winter planes with characters on the wings
Epic Games
The controversial planes returned in Fortnite Chapter 2, Season 5.

Well, according to a handful of new leaks, players might be getting their wish after a few of the older vehicles were given a refresh in the v15.20 patch.

According to Fortnite leakers FNBRUnreleased and InTheShadeYT, the Baller, Hoverboard, and ATK Golf Cart were all updated in the recent patch.

“Ballers and Hoverboard have been also updated! We may see them making a return soon,” FNBRUnreleased posted, while noting that the textures for the ATK Golf Cart were also refreshed. However, there doesn’t seem to be much of a change from the way the ATK’s used to look. 

There’s nothing mentioned about when exactly the vehicles could return, but it does seem possible that they could appear in this season. We got the Stormwings back over the holiday period, after all. 

Until we see them in-game though, it is worth noting that nothing is confirmed. Epic might have plans to bring them back, but scrap them based on something else that happens – say, they’re not compatible with another item. So, let’s just wait and see.