Fernando Alonso aims dig at Lewis Hamilton after Ferrari switch

Liam Corless
Hamilton and Alonso have been rivals for nearly two decades

Fernando Alonso believes Lewis Hamilton’s move to Ferrari could turn the legendary Italian team into title contenders next year.

Hamilton’s 12-year association with Mercedes will end at the end of this season and he will replace Carlos Sainz at Ferrari in 2025.

Red Bull have dominated the sport in recent years but Alonso thinks Hamilton’s upcoming switch has the potential to change that.

‘The car is there’

“[During the past few years] Ferrari had a very fast car and were fighting for big things,” Alonso said in quotes carried by the BBC. “Maybe Lewis can bring that extra to fight for the championship. The car is there.

“Even last year, with a very dominant Red Bull car, Ferrari were able to match the lap time and be faster than them in most of the qualifyings, so the car should be fast enough.”

Alonso, however, is not buying Hamilton’s recent claim that it was a ‘lifelong dream’ of his to drive for Ferrari, after the Briton had previously stated he wanted to remain at Mercedes for the rest of his career.

Alonso said: “It was not his childhood dream 12 months ago, no? Or two months ago I guess, because it was a different dream then.”

On his own future, the Spaniard, whose contract at Aston Martin is due to expire at the end of this season, added: “I am aware of my situation, which is unique.

“There are only three world champions on the grid, and fast world champions, because in the past maybe there were some champions who were maybe not so committed to be fast. And I am probably the only one available for 2025. So I am in a good position.

“But at the same time, when I make the decision whether I want to keep racing in the future, the first and only talk I will have in the beginning will be with Aston Martin. That will be my only priority.

“But if we cannot reach an agreement and I want to commit to race in F1, I know I have a privileged position, I am probably attractive to other teams, the performance they saw last year, the commitment.”