Genesect has finally arrived in Pokemon Go via special research story event. You’ll have to pay to participate, though.
The Paleozoic Pokemon is the first Mythical species from Gen 5 to be released into the mobile game. It is the second species to be added via a paid-for special research story event, following in the footsteps of Regigigas in October 2019.
The event is titled “A Drive To Investigate,” and will cost you $7.99 (also £7.99) to play. If you’re unable or unwilling to participate then, Genesect will be coming to EX Raids in April, just like Regigigas did.
You can buy your ticket now from the Pokemon Go Shop. In order to receive the research, you must open the Pokemon Go app anytime between March 20, 8am and March 26, 10pm (local time).
- Read More: Tips to win more matches in GO Battle League
Once you have purchased, and collected, the special research, you’ll be able to complete it at any point. However, it is recommended you complete in the above time window for “optimal gameplay.”
A Drive To Investigate – Full task list
Due to the Coronavirus pandemic trainers are rightfully reluctant to congregate at the moment – even if it is to play Pokemon Go. As result Niantic have made the A Drive To Investigate tasks “playable without group gameplay.”
Trainers, as we’re prioritizing updates to Pokémon GO features and experiences that can be enjoyed in individual settings, the Special Research story event “A Drive to Investigate” has been designed to be playable without group gameplay. https://t.co/keQ2Om7op6
— Niantic Support (@NianticHelp) March 17, 2020
The full list of tasks and subsequent rewards can be found below. These come from halolordkiller3.
Stage 1 of 5
- Battle another Trainer 5x (GBL Counts win or loss) = 1000x stardust
- Catch 25 Normal Type Pokemon = 3x Rare Candy
- Give your buddy 1 treats (only need to give 1 berry) = Trubbish Encounter
- Step 1 Rewards = 5x premium raid passes, Pinsir encounter, Genesect Cap
Stage 2 of 5
- Power Up Pokemon 5x = 1000x Stardust
- Catch 25 Fire-Type Pokemon = 3x Rare Candy
- Send 3 Gifts to friends = Karrablast encounter
- Step 2 Rewards = 3x charged TMs, Skarmory encounter, 3x Super Incubators
Stage 3 of 5
- Transfer 3 Pokemon = 1000x Stardust
- Catch 25 Water-type Pokemon = 3x Rare Candy
- Hatch an Egg = Shelmet Encounter
- Step 3 Rewards = 3x Incense, Scizor encounter, Genesect Bag
Stage 4 of 5
- Make 3 Great Throws in a row = 1000x Stardust
- Catch 25 Electric-type Pokemon = 3x Rare Candy
- Play with your buddy = Kabuto encounter
- Step 4 Rewards = 3x Fast TM, Genesect encounter, Glacial Lure Module
Stage 5 of 5
- Battle a team leader 3x = 1000x Stardust
- Catch 25 Ice-type Pokemon = 3x Rare Candy
- Take 3 snapshots of Genesect = Durant Encounter
- Step 5 Rewards = 1x puffin, 10x Genesect Candy, 3x Star Piece
? Something Mythical is coming, Trainers… pic.twitter.com/CyfjHwgv7v
— Pokémon GO (@PokemonGoApp) March 11, 2020
Genesect themed weekend event
To compliment the special research story, there is also a Genesect themed weekend event for all Pokemon Go trainers to enjoy. It will take place over this weekend from March 20, 8am to March 23, 10pm (local time).
Some of the features within the event will help you complete the tasks from A Drive To Investigate. All the features are as follows:
- Electric, fire, ice, normal and water-type Pokemon will be appearing more frequently in the wild. Houndour, Jigglypuff, Magnemite, Marill and Snorunt will also be seen more.
- Nincada will be appearing in the wild and hatching from 5 km Eggs. Its shiny form will also be available.
- Karrablast and Shelmet will be hatching more often from 5 km Eggs.
- One to four-star Raid Battles will feature various bug or steel-type Pokemon.
In addition to this, there will be 2x Catch and Hatch Stardust boosts available during the event.
Some trainers may be put off by the pay wall, but if you look at all the rewards on offer, the ticket is great value. It’s also a great opportunity to enjoy some Pokemon Go without having to group up in public during this difficult time.