Bastion’s Overwatch 2 rework has finally been revealed, and not only does it revamp his abilities, but it also completely changes the way he’s played, including a new artillery ultimate.
Overwatch Lead Hero Designer Geoff Goodman revealed that Bastion was being re-worked back in May 2021.
He didn’t reveal too many details at the time. However, the changes were finally announced during the OWL Grand Finals.
Let’s take a look at everything that’s been confirmed, including a new Tactical Grenade ability, reworks to his Recon and Sentry modes, the removal of his tank ultimate in favor of a new artillery one, and more.
Overwatch 2 Bastion reworked abilities
Self-Repair removed, replaced with Tactical Grenade
Bastion no longer has Self-Repair. Instead, it has been replaced with a new Tactical Grenade ability. After a short delay, Bastion shoots a tactical grenade that detonates after a short delay and knocks back enemies.
The grenade also has the ability to bounce off walls and stick to enemies and floors. Once it has latched onto a target, it explodes shortly after.
The explosion radius was also described as “really big,” although the specifics haven’t been confirmed.
Configuration: Recon range increased
Bastion’s Configuration: Recon weapon has been significantly changed. It now has no weapon spread at all, but has a 50% slower fire rate to compensate.
The damage falloff range has also been increased, meaning he can poke from longer ranges with more accuracy.
- Read More: Overwatch 2 Sombra rework revealed
The developers explained these changes allow him to be played like a “pseudo sniper,” which is what his recon form was “always meant to be.”
Configuration: Artillery replaces Tank Ultimate
Bastion’s ultimate ability has been completely reworked. It no longer turns him into a siege tank. Instead, it turns him into an artillery weapon.
In Configuration: Artillery, Bastion looks to the ground and unleashes a powerful long-range artillery strike. Players can manually target three different locations anywhere on the map, as long as they do so within the ability’s timer.
Configuration: Sentry lets players move when firing
Last but not least, players can now move when firing in sentry mode. It happens at reduced movement speed, its damage has been reduced by 40%, and it has a cooldown to prevent it from being too overpowered. However, it still has unlimited ammo.
This is a massive change because it opens up the door to new opportunities and strategies and radically changes how the hero is played.
Bastion’s Overwatch 2 rework will go live once the game releases. However, an official date hasn’t been confirmed yet.
Here’s a list of all the changes below.
Overwatch 2 Bastion rework: Full changelist
- Weapon fire rate reduced by 50%
- Damage falloff range increased to be more accurate at long range
- Weapon spread reduced to zero.
- Can now move while firing! But at a reduced movement speed
- Weapon has unlimited ammo
- Weapon damage reduced by 40%
- In Artillery mode, Bastion locks to the ground and unleashes a powerful long-range artillery strike
- Manually target three different locations to strike anywhere on the map
- Bastion’s transformation between two primary combat modes now has an eight-second duration and a ten second cooldown
- Ability removed
- Bastian shoots a tactical grenade that detonates after a short delay and knocks back any enemies it strikes
- Grenades bounce off walls but stick to enemies and flors
- Grenades explode shortly after they stick to an enemy or floor.