A new patch has been released on the Overwatch PTR, featuring sweeping changes in the Support category.
Only Zenyatta is immune with every other Support hero experiencing a change, as Blizzard attempts to level out their relative power levels and shift the focus back onto the different tool-kits and playstyles they offer.
Supports aren’t the only heroes receiving changes, however, with a variety of others also getting minor adjustments.
With this being the first patch of a new PTR cycle, it’s likely that these changes will remain in testing for some time. The previous PTR patch, which ended on July 18, is set to go to the live servers on July 24, bringing with it new hero Wrecking Ball and some significant changes to Sombra.
The full patch notes for the new PTR can be seen below:
- Changed the name of Junkrat’s Buccaneer skin to Bilgerat
- Added under attack voice lines for Zenyatta, Lúcio, and Moria
Looking for Group
- Settings will be saved after changing filters on the Looking for Group browse screen
- Added a What’s New option that displays new unlockable content
Channeled and transformation ultimate abilities now restore ammunition after completion for some heroes
- Channeled abilities affected: Junkrat’s RIP-Tire, Pharah’s Barrage, Roadhog’s Whole Hog, and Zenyatta’s Transcendence
- Transformation abilities affected: Genji’s Dragonblade, Winston’s Primal Rage
Developer Comments: The change removes the need to immediately reload after a long duration ultimate.
- Now also instantly heals the target for 300 health
Developer Comments: This change should give Ana the flexibility to use her ultimate in a wider variety of situations.
- Cooldown increased from 6 to 7 seconds
Developer Comments: Slightly increasing the cooldown will give Brigitte’s opponents more opportunity to play around her Shield Bash ability.
- No longer impacts Symmetra’s teleporter
- Now destroys Symmetra’s sentry turrets without stopping his movement
Developer Comments: These changes are just quality of life improvements for how Doomfist interacts with Symmetra’s placeables.
- Cooldown increased from 4 to 5 seconds
Developer Comments: Hanzo’s Lunge ability allows him to be very evasive, the increased cooldown should make him slightly easier to catch.
- Passive energy regeneration rate increased from 2 per second to 2.4 per second
Developer Comments: This gives Moira a bit more healing to work with in situations with no enemy targets available.
- Aura radius increase from 10 to 12 meters
- Temporary shields granted increased from 500 to 750
Developer Comments: Increasing the amount of shield health gained from Lucio’s Sound Barrier should make it more effective against incoming burst damage. The increased aura radius will help keep more allies within his heal and speed range.
- Healing beam reduced from 60 healing per second to 50 healing per second
Developer Comments: Mercy’s previous healing output made her nearly impossible to replace in any team composition. Even after these changes she will still be able to deliver more healing over the course of a match than any other support hero. This change should allow for other healers to be a more viable pick.
- Reduced the size of Sombra’s head hit volume
Developer Comments: This is mostly a bug fix, as her head hit volume was abnormally large, especially from behind. Previously if you fired at her from behind near her upper spine, you could land a head shot. Now her head volume is much more accurate.
- Decorative insignia no longer protrudes from the shield’s surface
Developer Comments: By smoothing out Reinhardt Barrier Field, he will be able to consistently block enemy abilities and projectiles (e.g. Junkrat’s grenades).
- Cooldown increased from 8 seconds to 10 seconds
Developer Comments: The increased cooldown will slightly reduce the frequency that Widowmaker can reposition herself.
- Drain rate reduced from 2 per second to 1.6 per second
- Radius reduced from 8 to 6 meters
Developer Comments: With the reduced Energy drain rate, Zarya should be at higher energy on average resulting in more overall damage and quicker ultimate charge times. We’ve also decreased the wide area of Graviton Surge, so players are more able to aid allies without being pulled in as well.
Fixed a bug that could cause players to lose an endorsement level if they exited before a match completes, but after the return timer for a leaving player has expired