Popular FIFA 20 pro player Jas ‘Jas1875’ Singh has received a ban from an upcoming event for threatening a fellow competitor. However, Singh states that he was “racially insulted” prior to making the threats.
Followers of the FIFA 20 competitive scene will likely be familiar with Jas Singh, who has been around the top players in the world since early 2018, when he signed for fabled esports organization Team Envy.
He represented Chelsea in the ePremierLeague 2019, finishing an impressive 3-4th. Singh has since moved to fellow Premier League side West Ham United, representing the Irons since October 2019.
On November 16, Singh was temporarily banned from competing in the FIFA 20 season as a result of violent threats made against other players.
As a result, he has been “disinvited” from FIFA 20’s second major event, the FUT Champions Cup Stage II, which takes place from Nosvember 22-24 in Bucharest, Romania.
- Read More: FIFA 20 pro banned by EA for “collusion”
In a Twitter video from November 16, Singh explains his side of story. After qualifying for the FUT Champions Cup Stage II – which requires you to be a Top 32 player in the world – Jas was banned from attending after making violent threats against a fellow FIFA pro, Nawiid110, who is also known as ‘GoalMachine’ or just ‘Nawid’.
“He said things like I’ll shave your beard, I’ll shave your head,” said Singh. “As you guys know I’m a practicing Sikh so that sort of thing isn’t a light joke. That’s a really racial insult… I took that very angrily and I responded to it angrily.”
I have been banned from competing at FCC 2 in Bucharest. I was racially insulted by another competitor. My mistake was I retaliated with threats. Please listen to my side of the story. pic.twitter.com/6lzobRPt4K
— Jas Singh (@Jas1875_) November 16, 2019
Jas concluded his video by stating his regret for making the insults, but also his shock for receiving a punishment after being racially antagonized. “For someone racially abusing me and me standing up for myself… it hurts right now,” he finished.
GoalMachine has received a more serious punishment, seeing him suspended from the next two major tournaments. He was also dropped from AS Roma esports.
On November 16, he posted screenshots on Twitter showing the group chat in which the threats were made by Singh, and the comments were made by Nawid.
Warning: Some readers may find the comments offensive.
— Nawid (@GoalMachineFIFA) November 16, 2019
Despite the controversy surrounding the ban, EA do not seem to be backing down and Singh has accepted his ban. GoalMachine has not publicly responded to the incident, other than posting screenshots to his Twitter.
There was a mixed response from the community and fellow professionals. Kurt0411, a pro player banned earlier this year for spitting on EA’s logo, voiced his empathy for Singh, stating that: The state they’ve (EA) put this scene in is so bad and so unhealthy. We need another committee deciding stuff like this because these guys are absolutely clueless”.
However, others argued that despite the provocation Jas overreacted, and that Nawid was “joking”.
I can’t believe they actually took the event from you for that. The state they’ve put this scene in is so bad and so unhealthy. We need another committee deciding stuff like this cos these guys are absolutely clueless
— Kurt (@Kurt0411Fifa) November 16, 2019
an absolute joke to lose an event plus another qualifier for a clear joke. even more unbelievable that someone reports you, tarnishing your career and job because they were salty you beat them at grand finals, just unbelievable all around
— Ehsan (@LampsFIFA) November 16, 2019
There are increasing calls for the FIFA scene to be outsourced to external companies, given EA’s attachment to their own game.
- Read More: FIFA 20 Road to the Final Upgrades
Many, including Kurt0411, argue that this impacts their decision making and people are not freely allowed to voice their opinions, particularly when criticizing the games in question.
We will update you on this story where necessary.