Tommy Fury has been refused entry to the United States, on the eve of his press conference in the build-up to his planned fight against Jake Paul on August 6 – throwing the fight itself into question.
Fury and Paul are set to fight on August 6, with Madison Square Garden in New York the venue. However, on June 28, with the press conference scheduled for June 29, Fury has been refused entry to the US.
In his Instagram Story, Fury explained that he was turned away by officials due to a failed ESTA (Electronic System for Travel Authorization) application, although said no specific reason was given.
“As soon as I entered [Heathrow] Airport, I got pulled to one side, and I was told by the Homeland Security officer that my ESTA had been denied, and I wasn’t able to travel to the USA.”
Jake vs Tommy fight could be off
With the fight just over a month away, unless this issue is resolved, it could mean the fight being delayed, if a new venue in the UK or elsewhere cannot be arranged instead.
Fury said the application was denied “for a reason I apparently know,” but said “I’ve done absolutely nothing wrong, and I have no clue why I am not allowed to travel to the USA.”
With the reason apparently unclear to Fury and his team, he said lawyers are now taking on the issue to see if it can be resolved.
Two-time world heavyweight champion Tyson Fury, the older half-brother of Tommy, has been refused entry to the US twice in the past, reportedly due to sanctions imposed by the country on boxing manager Daniel Kinahan in April, 2022.
The Irish Sun reported that Fury had “involvement” with Kinahan, who is a suspected criminal.
We will update this story as developments come on Tommy’s attempt to get access to the United States.