Smash leaker rules out several Japanese-developed characters as 5th DLC - Dexerto
Smash

Smash leaker rules out several Japanese-developed characters as 5th DLC

Published: 2/Dec/2019 17:54

by Michael Gwilliam

Share


As the Super Smash Bros community anxiously awaits the reveal of the fifth Ultimate DLC fighter, a prominent leaker with insider knowledge has narrowed the possibilities yet again.

Posting on the GameFAQs forums, Vergeben, who has leaked many fighters in the past, claimed that the upcoming DLC character would not be from a franchise owned by either Bandai Namco or Level-5.

With Bandai Namco off the table, it effectively rules out the likes of Ms Pacman, Soul Calibur characters, Tekken icons such as Heihachi, or anyone from the Katamari franchise as the next fighter.

Bandai NamcoDon’t count on seeing Heihachi face off against Ryu, Ken or Terry.

On the Level-5 front, it confirms characters from Yo-kai Watch and Professor Layton.

Known Smash leakers have been taking it upon themselves to deconfirm fighter rumors rather than outright say who the new fighter is, assuming their sources have told them who it is.

Bandai Namco and Level-5 are the latest companies to be deconfirmed, quashing multiple rumors at once. Previously, Vergeben had ruled out Ubisoft, Falcom and Nippon Ichi Software.

Bandai NamcoVoldo would have been an interesting addition to the Smash cast.

With this new information, the list of deconfirmed characters has grown large enough to be its own fighting game roster.

Previously, both Vergeben and fellow leaker Sabi had dismissed Dante, Doomguy, Geno, Ryu Hayabusa, Gordon Freeman and Lloyd Irving in Tales of Symphonia. Combined with entire companies being deconfirmed, and the list of possibilities is growing smaller by the day.

Notably, Tracer from Overwatch, Halo’s Master Chief, Tomb Raider’s Lara Croft, or a standard Nintendo franchise character are still very real possibilities.

MicrosoftThere’s still a chance to see Master Chief as Fighter 5.

It’s also possible that any of the deconfirmed fighters make their way into Smash eventually as part of a second Fighters Pass. However, the mystery of the Fighter 5 has been one of the most interesting topics in the Smash community for some time.

The fifth fighter is expected to be revealed at The Game Awards on December 12, the same event where Nintendo unveiled Persona’s Joker back in 2018.

Smash

Smash YouTubers claim Nintendo is copyright striking videos with mods

Published: 29/Nov/2020 4:42 Updated: 29/Nov/2020 6:01

by Alex Tsiaoussidis

Share


Nintendo has continued its war against the Super Smash Bros. community, reportedly issuing takedown notices to some of the game’s most popular modders on YouTube. 

Nintendo has always cracked down hard on its intellectual property. However, they’ve found themselves at odds against the Super Smash Bros. community more so than ever since they shut down The Big House’s online event

It started a movement that has seen professional players and community members rally their fans to fight, protest with charity tournaments, and host exhibition bouts to raise awareness.

Unfortunately, it hasn’t stopped Nintendo from slowing down. If anything, they’ve cracked the whip even harder, reportedly turning their sights on Super Smash Bros. modders creating projects for fans on YouTube.

Super Smash Bros. Ultimate Nintendo Takedown Mods
Nintendo
Super Ultimate is already incredibly fun, but modders have found ways to make it even better.

The first modder to report he’d been issued a takedown notice was a prominent one named Mastalko.

He created a Goku skin mod, which replaces Terry on Super Smash Bros. Ultimate. “Guess my Goku video got ninjaed by Nintendo,” he said.

The screenshot clarifies that his video has been “locked and cannot be monetized” due to a claim from Nintendo.

However, that was only the beginning. Nintendo issued a takedown notice to another popular modder named 64iOS. It revolved around a video he posted on YouTube called ‘12 Super Mario Odyssey Skins in Super Smash Bros. Ultimate! (Mods).’

“First time happening to my channel with Smash, I believe,” he said, above a screenshot of the actual takedown notice. Fortunately, it hasn’t impacted his account, but it’s still a move that has angered many fans.

However, the claims have been pulled into question by some members of the community. The “Nintendo Fans Complaining Against Nintendo” Twitter account has been following the complaints, stating the strikes might not be filed by Nintendo themselves because the company name doesn’t line up.

“The copyright claimer is always listed as ‘Nintendo’. You might think off the top of your head ‘yeah that would make sense they are Nintendo’, but this isn’t how Nintendo is known legally,” they said in a November 27 statement.

The members behind the account also told Dexerto that some other creators, like Mankalor, have had their videos re-instated through the appeals process once the claims were proven to be false.

“Part of the problem though lies with the fact that there was someone impersonating Nintendo handing out copyright claims, and that YouTube needs more transparency in their copyright process before people begin jumping the gun, especially with a completely reasonable movement going around trying to free a game from a real copyright issue,” they said.

The wider Nintendo community understands the takedown requests to an extent. However, some believe Nintendo’s antics are tone-deaf, especially considering how passionate and widespread the community is.

In the end, they’ve had to find ways to keep the community thriving after all these years with little to no support from Nintendo. So, they believe the company should work with them rather than against them.

November 28 update: This article has been updated with new statements from “Nintendo Fans Complaining About Nintendo” about the copyright strikes.