Call of Duty CS:GO Fortnite League of Legends Overwatch Apex Entertainment FIFA Dota2 Smash PUBG Gaming Dexerto TV About Contact
 
Smash • Aug 05, 2019

Disgraced Smash Ultimate pro CaptainZack barred from competing at multiple events

Shares
Disgraced Smash Ultimate pro CaptainZack barred from competing at multiple events
Phoenix 1

Zack 'Captain Zack' Lauth will not be competing at this year’s Super Smash Con major and all 2GG events after admitting to blackmailing and fixing matches with former pro, Elliot 'Ally' Carroza-Oyarce.

Advertisement

“I was informed that I will not be allowed to compete at this year's Smash Con. I completely agree with the decision and I will gladly take responsibility for my actions,” the 17-year-old Bayonetta and Daisy main tweeted. 

“I will still attend the event, but I'll simply be there as a spectator. Thank you for reading this,” Zack added.

Advertisement

Additionally, on August 5, 2GG tweeted that CaptainZack would be banned at their events going forward. "Effective immediately, CaptainZack will be banned from competing at all 2GG events due to match fixing at Prime Saga and MomoCon 2019. Both events ran by us," they said.

"Match fixing is wrong and hurts the integrity and spirit of competition. Don’t do it."

While Zack did compete at Evo, his attendance was overshadowed by his former org, Polar Ace Esports, dropping him once he admitted to match-fixing and blackmailing Ally following a relationship scandal.

Lauth revealed he had blackmailed Ally into throwing matches and he felt Ally “didn’t deserve to compete anymore.” 

Advertisement

“I apologize to Nairo and Zackray for ruining the integrity of competition and to the entire community for letting my personal relationship affect an entire result,” the Canadian Snake player said on August 2.

Ally had retired in July after admitting to being in a relationship with then 16-year-old CaptainZack. The former pro said he was “really scared” to be open about the relationship and had previously denied it.

David Doran / Dreamhack
CaptainZack has been barred from competing at Super Smash Con

Advertisement

It will be interesting to see what other tournaments decide to bar CaptainZack from competing. Super Smash Con is set to be the first major tournament in which the game’s latest fighter, Hero, will be legal.

Additionally, in Melee, the tournament will feature a new rule regarding ledge camping/trapping. Should one player or team reach 60 ledge grabs, they will forfeit the match. However, if both players in a singles match - or one from each team - break the 60 limit, the rule will be disregarded.

Advertisement

Super Smash Con begins August 8, 2019.