The first of the Throwback Challenges has been revealed, by mistake, in Pokemon Go. The Kanto Tasks were accidentally made available, showing the tasks and rewards that trainers can look forward to.
They were first leaked when text references to a "Throwback 2020 Celebration" were found. We now know that celebration will come in the form of a Special Research challenge event.
The timed research events will be broken down into Kanto, Johto, Hoenn and the Sinnoh region. Each will last a week and their times are as follows:
- Kanto: Friday, May 1, 1pm local time to Friday, May 8, 1pm local time
- Johto: Friday, May 8, 1pm local time to Friday, May 15, 1pm local time
- Hoenn: Friday, May 15, 1pm local time to Friday, May 22, 1pm local time
- Sinnoh: Friday, May 22, 1pm local time to Friday, May 29, 1pm local time
Throwback Challenge Champion 2020
If you complete all of the Timed Research for each region you'll unlock the Throwback Challenge Champion 2020 Special Research. It will focus on not just Pokemon from the Unova region but also the Galar region, as many trainers will be excited to hear.
There will be less pressure on this Special Research as it won't be time-limited. This means you can take as long as you want to complete it - just make sure you complete the four timed ones beforehand.
Notably, one of the rewards within this final challenge is Genesect. The Mythical Unova Pokemon has only been previously available as part of a paid research event.
Kanto tasks and rewards
While we have to wait for May 1 to begin the timed research, the Kanto tasks and rewards have been revealed ahead of time. Some trainers had the research appear for them but it isn't clear what caused this for those lucky players.
Trainers, research was released to some Trainers ahead of schedule. The event details will be released in the near future, meanwhile Trainers who received this research can complete it now but won't receive it again. Sorry for the confusion!
— Niantic Support (@NianticHelp) April 27, 2020
The tasks and rewards have therefore been captured ahead of time. They are as follows:
Kanto Tasks 1/9
- Catch 3 Grass, Water or Fire-type Pokemon - 10 Poke Balls
- Take a snapshot of a Bug-type Pokemon - 5 Pinap Berries
- Catch a Rock-type Pokemon - 500 Stardust
- Rewards: 1 Rare Candy, Onix Encounter and 2 Golden Razz Berries
Kanto Tasks 2/9
- Battle in a raid - Clefairy encounter
- Transfer 3 Pokemon - 10 Super Potions
- Catch 1 water-type Pokemon - 500 Stardust
- Rewards: 1 Rare Candy, Starmie encounter and 2 Silver Pinap Berries
Kanto Tasks 3/9
- Evolve 3 Pokemon - 10 Great Balls
- Hatch an egg - Snorlax encounter
- Catch an Electric-type Pokemon - 500 Stardust
- Rewards: 1 Rare Candy, Raichu encounter and 2 Golden Razz Berries
Kanto Tasks 4/9
- Give your buddy a treat - Gastly encounter
- Send a gift to a friend - Dratini encounter
- Catch a grass-type Pokemon - 500 Stardust
- Rewards: 1 Rare Candy, Tangela encounter and 2 Silver Pinap Berries
Kanto Tasks 5/9
- Earn a candy walking with your buddy - 10 Ultra Balls
- Make 3 Great Throws - Chansey encounter
- Catch a Poison-type Pokemon - 500 Stardust
- Rewards: 1 Rare Candy, Weezing encounter and 2 Golden Razz Berries
Kanto Tasks 6/9
- Take a snapshot of a Ghost-type Pokemon - Hitmonchan encounter
- Catch a Fighting-type Pokemon - Lapras encounter
- Catch a Psychic-type Pokemon - 500 Stardust
- Rewards: 1 Rare Candy, Alakazam encounter and 2 Silver Pinap Berries
Kanto Tasks 7/9
- Take a snapshot of an Ice-type Pokemon - 10 Hyper Potions
- Evolve a Pokemon - Aerodactyl encounter
- Catch a Fire-type Pokemon - 500 Stardust
- Rewards: 1 Rare Candy, Arcanine encounter and 2 Golden Razz Berries
Kanto Tasks 8/9
- Power up a Pokemon 6 times - 1 Charged TM
- Battle another Trainer - 1 Star Piece
- Catch a Ground-type Pokemon - 500 Stardust
- Rewards: 1 Rare Candy, Nidoking encounter and 2 Silver Pinap Berries
Kanto Tasks 9/9
- Claim Reward (x3) - 3,000 XP
- Rewards: 10 Rare Candy and Mewtwo encounter
Many of you will notice how easy these tasks are in comparison to other research. This is likely part of the 'play at home' initiative.
Getting a Mewtwo encounter is by far the most notable takeaway from this research. Some trainers may even feel they haven't earned the encounter with the Gen 1 legend given how easy the tasks are.
Regardless, make the most of it and who knows there may even be a shiny available. Given the Kanto tasks, we can expect a similar level of legend for the Johto, Hoenn and Sinnoh rewards, too.