PewDiePie mocks outrage surrounding Overwatch Contenders' 'Ellie' scandal - Dexerto
Entertainment

PewDiePie mocks outrage surrounding Overwatch Contenders’ ‘Ellie’ scandal

Published: 10/Jan/2019 20:28 Updated: 10/Jan/2019 20:33

by Virginia Glaze

Share


YouTube’s biggest creator, Felix ‘PewDiePie’ Kjellberg, spoke out on Overwatch Contenders’ ‘Ellie’ scandal, appearing to take issue with mass outrage surrounding the situation.

PewDiePie addressed the debacle in a ‘Pew News’ segment on January 10, where he claimed that concerned players merely wanted proof of ‘Ellie’s’ identity, noting that Second Wind’s Contender roster listed the full name of each of their players – with the exception of Ellie, whose name was merely written as “Fuck Off.”

“I think it’s a pretty normal reaction in the pro player scene, there’s only a certain amount of people,” Pewds said of the issue. “If someone appears out of nowhere… it’s only natural that people are going to ask, ‘Who is this person?’”

PewDiePie went on to speculate that pro player ‘Punisher,’ who had impersonated ‘Ellie’ for an alleged “social experiment,” was making a statement to showcase a kind of ‘affirmative action’ within the game’s esports scene.

“Maybe the fact that this guy, Punisher, can’t join a pro team, but as soon as he pretends to be a girl, literally four days and voila! He’s part of a pro team!” PewDiePie laughed.

Second Wind’s player roster showcased the full names of every competitor on their team – aside from that of the ‘Ellie’ persona, leading to widespread speculation that the player was merely a facade.

PewDiePie likewise mocked the media’s coverage of the scandal, arguing that harassment against ‘Ellie’ was justified due to the lack of personal information available about the persona.

“…the same thing would have happened if it were a guy,” he stated.

A rising-star account under the name ‘Ellie’ competing for Overwatch Contenders team Second Wind was discovered to be fraudulent, as stated by an Overwatch League representative on January 6. 

Since then, the ‘Ellie’ account was revealed to be operated by pro player ‘Punisher,’ who reportedly asked “many women” to speak over the mic while he played in order to keep up the facade.

Entertainment

Claudia Conway & Perez Hilton in heated feud over “huge” party

Published: 28/Oct/2020 18:06

by Alice Hearing

Share


Celebrity blogger Perez Hilton has hit out at TikToker Claudia Conway after she hosted a huge party that got out of hand. 

In the last few days, Claudia Conway has come under fire after footage was revealed of a party she hosted at her family home, where chaos ensued and social-distancing appeared virtually non-existent.

Claudia promptly apologized on her TikTok account following the backlash, explaining that masks were supposed to be worn and restrictions were planned to be followed, but the party got out of control. She said that she would never put anyone’s lives in danger and the party did not go how she’d planned.

She added that everyone was eventually kicked off the premises and that she is not trying to deceive anyone. “I’m very disappointed in the way things turned out and I can only offer my deepest apologies.”

Claudia Conway party Instagram
Instagram: Claudia Conway
Claudia explained that she intended to comply with restrictions, but the party got “out of hand”

Following her apology, she also pointed out that Perez Hilton had recently shared one of her “friends only” videos with the public, in which she admitted that she was feeling suicidal, and he added a caption linking the video to the party.

Perez quickly clapped back: “I have not deleted it and I’m not going to delete it. I did not make fun of Claudia as she was claiming… She did have a big birthday party. I did not make fun of her, and FYI, she chose to become a public figure, and she chose to become an advocate, and has been very critical of people hosting parties and going to parties, and she and her mother threw a big party.”

@perezhilton##duet with @claudiamconway♬ original sound – claudia conway

In another video, Perez continued that while Claudia criticized the parties attendees for not wearing masks, “She should be criticizing herself,” and provided “receipts” of both her and her friends without masks at the event.

Fans of the TikToker came to her defense in the comments on Perez’s video, with one saying, “You have no business reposting stuff like this. Please stay in your lane next time,” to which Perez replied, “This is my lane.”

Another user said, “You have young daughters, how would you feel if someone reposted something one of them posted to a private story/acc? What’s not clicking?” Perez responded, “I would not care. And I will teach my daughters that they have no expectation of privacy on social media. Even if their accounts are ‘private.'”