Entertainment

Destiny, Hasan and TriHex banned on Twitch after democratic debate stream

Published: 1/Aug/2019 11:50 Updated: 26/Sep/2019 12:33

by Miguel Lozada

Share


Three popular Twitch streamers, Steven ‘Destiny’ Bonell, Hasan ‘HasanAbi’ Piker and Mychal ‘TriHex’ Jefferson, have been suspended from the platform after they broadcasted the democratic debate from CNN on their livestreams.

The streamers have been banned for 24 hours, following a DMCA claim from Time Warner, which owns CNN under its WarnerMedia News & Sports arm.

TriHex explains that Twitch was forced to hand out the punishment in response to a legal claim made by Time Warner.

It’s unclear if these were the only channels struck down by the ban, as a handful of other channels also streamed the debate.

TriHex at first suggested that the bans were contrary to Twitch’s attempts to broaden the content on the platform encourage “progressive coverage of political content”.

CNNThe debate was aired exclusively on CNN on July 31.

TriHex was also critical of the ‘privatization’ of such a crucial political debate, arguing that it should be available widely in the public domain.

Hasan claims that Twitch suspended every partnered channel who had broadcasted the debate, even with their own commentary alongside, due to the DMCA claim.

Fellow streamer Asmongold criticized Time Warner and CNN for the decision to strike the channels streaming their debate, arguing that it impeded the aim of trying to involve more people in the political process.

The streamers will have their channels reinstated, but may be left with a strike against their account.

TriHex and Destiny have both been banned from the platform previously, each for using a homophobic term, Destiny in July 2018, and TriHex in October

Hasan was banned in July 2019, for using his phone while behind the wheel of his car, while live, but was later unbanned on the same day.

Repeated strikes can lead to increasingly lengthy suspensions, and potentially even a permanent ban from the platform.

Entertainment

Jake Paul roasts Conor McGregor with new fight deal after UFC 257 Poirier loss

Published: 24/Jan/2021 6:37 Updated: 24/Jan/2021 10:39

by Alex Tsiaoussidis

Share


Jake Paul has jokingly rescinded his $50 million fight offer to Conor McGregor after his shock loss to Dustin Poirier at UFC 257, offering him a measly $10,000 instead.

Jake Paul has been nipping at Conor McGregor’s heels in the weeks leading up to UFC 257, trying to bait the former double-champ into accepting a $50 million fight offer for an exhibition boxing bout.

However, despite his best efforts, it didn’t work. Conor McGregor was too focused on his own endeavors and never acknowledged it, although he tip-toed around the question a few times.

Eventually, he flat-out said he’s not interested in the fight, and it seemed like the idea was dead and buried once and for all. But after Conor McGregor’s shock UFC 257 loss to Dustin Poirier, Jake Paul is at it again. And this time, his original offer is off the table.

Jake Paul Conor McGregor
Jake Paul / Conor McGregor
Jake Paul’s second fight offer adds more insult to injury after Conor McGregor’s UFC 257 loss.

Jake Paul tuned in to watch the main event like millions of other UFC fans. But he had more invested in the fight than the average viewer, and once it was over, it was only a matter of time before he posted a video.

“Hey Conor,” she said, laughing hysterically in a video that he shared on Twitter moments after the loss. “I’ve got ten thousand dollars for you, cash!” He struggled to contain his laughter and kept repeating words. “Oh, you had fifty million dollars,” he added, right at the end. 

The same message was echoed in a YouTube video Jake uploaded to his YouTube channel shortly after titled ‘My Message to Conor McGregor.’ He said, “you should have taken the Jake Paul fight for $50 million, but now I got $10,000 for you. I got $10,000 cash, cold hard cash. Or I’ll give you a third of a bitcoin. You choose, Conor McGregor.”

At the end of the video he says “April 17th guys, I’m fighting… You know, it was supposed to be Conor McGregor but we’ll see what happens, stay tuned.”

It’s obvious that Jake is still up to his usual antics. He’s trying to kick Conor while he’s down. But this time, it might actually work.

Conor’s loss will undoubtedly be a spanner in the works for his UFC plans. However, it means he might be open to lucrative exhibition fight offers once again.

Of course, there’s no way he’d accept the second $10,000 fight offer. But he might consider the initial $50 million one, which is probably what Jake Paul intended. We’ll have to wait and see what happens next.