The latest CS:GO update sees a major break from tradition, as a brand-new map has joined the competitive map pool for the first time.
Vertigo’s surprise addition to the CS:GO map pool
The March 29 update sees Vertigo added to the competitive map pool, replacing Cache. This will be the first time in CS:GO’s competitive history that Vertigo enters the competitive map pool.
For most of CS:GO’s history, the competitive map pool has consisted of seven maps from a rotating pool of eight in total, with the remaining map typically reworked and reinstated. Cache is one of the only maps in the pool that hasn’t undergone a significant update during that time.
This is the first time since these eight were first established as the “competitive” maps that a new map has joined that rotation. Based on the historical cycle, most fans would have expected the return of Cobblestone as the next addition.
What does Vertigo look like in CS:GO?
Vertigo has been in CS:GO since 2012 and even became somewhat of a specialist map for some casual players and individuals.
The versatility of the map is what sets it apart from many of the other sprawling maps in CS:GO; this makes it play differently to almost anything else that you’ll be used to.
For an in-depth look at the map and its many quirks, check out TheWarOwl’s video below:
The update to the competitive map pool isn’t the only change in the March 29 update. Fans of IEM Katowice Major runners-up ENCE will be pleased to see the addition of the #EZ4ENCE song as a music kit.
To prepare it for Active Duty, Vertigo was also subject to a variety of bug fixes and minor updates in the latest patch.
The full patch notes can be read below.
- A new music kit EZ4ENCE by The Verkkars is now available for purchase.
- A new Feral Predators Sticker Capsule is now available for purchase.
- Vertigo has been moved from Reserves Group into the Active Duty Group.
- Cache has been moved from Active Duty Group into Reserves Group.
- Added new cover in bottom of mid, that doubles as a ramp towards “window” to B site
- Pushed up CT spawns slightly
- Prioritized spawn positions, CTs will be biased towards forward spawns, Ts biased towards rear spawns
- Added corner railing to catwalk on B site
- Blocked two-man boost on top of spools in CT spawn
- Blocked angle over wall when going down stairs from B site towards T spawn
- Tweaked T stairs up to bombsite B
- Tweaked layout of T spawn slightly
- Updated bombsite target models on sites
- Elevator shaft injuries now count towards the injury statistic
- Fixed various clipping issues
- Grenades will no longer go through closed doors in certain rare circumstances.
- Players can no longer pick up weapons through walls or without direct line-of-sight.
- Fixed certain textures sometimes not rendering when running with -d3d9ex launch option.
- Fixed an issue causing certain areas to not render correctly when spectating a player with zoom-in activated.
- Fixed items removed from user’s inventory sometimes showing up in loadout and buy menu incorrectly.
- Fixed player disconnect messages to have neutral names when communication preference is set to sanitize player names.
- Added “consecutive_round_losses” value for each team to Game State Integration output.