Hot Pursuit is the latest special mode available in Call of Duty: Blackout. It brings new features in an attempt to keep COD’s battle royale mode fresh and exciting.
Blackout’s New Game Mode
On top of the solo, duo and quads mode for Call of Duty: Blackout, Treyarch have been introducing temporary modes. These have come alongside big updates and have included the likes of close-quarters, fast-collapse and ambush.
Naturally opinions differ as to whether these modes are enjoyable or not. Nevertheless though, it is good to see Treyarch trying new modes. These playlists, along with regular changes to the map, will hopefully keep the player base as strong as it is now.
The latest such game mode is Hot Pursuit, which comes with the introduction of Operation Grand Heist. There a numerous differences in this special mode compared to normal Blackout.
Police Vehicles and Muscle Cars
Firstly, the mode is themed around police cars and quasi-robbers. Police vehicles will show a UAV when sirens activated. Essentially it is the same as turning on a sensor dart which is stuck to the vehicle.
There are also muscle cars which can detect stashes and supply drops. Supply stashes and drops are more frequent in this mode, also. These new additions add a welcomed dynamic whereby you can go on the hunt for premium loot or hunt down other players.
— Call of Duty (@CallofDuty) February 23, 2019
Collapse and Respawns
While the addition of new vehicles and the perks they offer are substantial, the changes to the collapse and the ability to respawn is perhaps a bigger game-changer.
The collapse speed has increased, resulting in an even faster-paced game. In addition to this, the damage taken by being outside of the collapse has also increased.
Previously being outside in the first circle wasn’t that damaging but now, unless you have a lot of health, can be deadly. Similar to the normal mode, the collapse damage doubles each round, with the first circle starting on three HP damage.
Then there is also the addition of respawns. It goes against the concept of battle royale to have respawns but feedback has suggested it is a wanted, and arguably needed, addition.
In Hot Pursuit, if you have at least one teammate still alive upon the completion of a given collapse round, then you will respawn. This is done by the usual method of gliding out of a helicopter. Therefore, you can choose whether to link up with your alive teammate(s) or go somewhere perhaps a little more tactical and safer.
Official Patch Notes from Treyarch
Treyarch have highlighted the features and changes in the official Black Ops 4 Operation Grand Heist patch notes. Hot Pursuit will be added to Xbox and PC soon (only available on PS4 currently).
The patch notes are as follows:
- Hot Pursuit
- Hot Pursuit added as the Featured Playlist on PS4.
- 3 new vehicles added: SUV, PBR, and Muscle Car, as well as police variants of the helicopter and ATV.
- New vehicles have special abilities to give players a competitive advantage at the risk of greater exposure.
- Muscle Cars have the ability to spot nearby Supply Stashes and Supply Drops.
- Police vehicles have built-in Sensor Dart functionality when their police sirens are activated, as well as the ability to detect enemy-occupied Muscle Cars.
- Supply Stashes and Supply Drops occur more frequently than normal.
- Players respawn with each circle collapse as long as one teammate is still alive when the next Collapse occurs. Respawns are disabled at the final Collapse.
- Last team standing wins the game.
- Addressed an issue where the “Battle Hardened” Calling Card would lock after Prestiging.