Toto Wolff reveals key issue holding up Mercedes signing Max Verstappen

Matt Hobkinson
Max Verstappen

Toto Wolff has admitted that he would “love” to sign Max Verstappen for Mercedes, but insisted that the team need to “sort out” their car before they can realistically consider the move.

Verstappen continued his perfect start to the F1 season as he won the Saudi Arabian Grand Prix – his ninth straight victory overall.

The Dutchman has now won 19 of the last 20 races, as he looks to improve on his incredible record of winning all but three grands prix last year.

Yet with rumours emerging that the Red Bull senior hierarchy could be set for drastic change, talk has begun over what could be a sensational move for Verstappen to join Mercedes.

Wolff would ‘love’ Verstappen at Mercedes

Silver Arrows team principal, Wolff, has made no secret over his desire to add the three-time world champion to his driver line-up, especially with Lewis Hamilton set to join Ferrari in 2025.

Yet the Austrian is all too aware that there is one major roadblock in the team’s bid to sign the Red Bull star – their car.

“I’d love to have him,” said Wolff. “But first we need to sort out our car. I think we owe it to our drivers, George [Russell] and Lewis, to improve the car and give them equipment that is good before dreaming about the future next year.”

“I think we are going to wait,” he added when asked on Mercedes’ plans to make a decision on replacing Hamilton.

“We have a few interesting options, and the more we are able to assess how the season pans out, young drivers with us against slightly older ones – that’s not going to be a decision which we want to take in the next few weeks, it’s rather a few months depending on where it goes.”

“Let’s word it like this,” Wolff said on the possibility of Mercedes signing Verstappen. “I think this is a decision that Max needs to take, and there is no team up and down the grid who wouldn’t do handstands to have him in the car.”

Verstappen is looking to become the second Red Bull driver to win four successive drivers’ titles with the team, as he attempts to follow in the footsteps of Sebastian Vettel who achieved the feat from 2010-2013.

About The Author

Matt Hobkinson is the Senior UK Sports Writer at Dexerto. Matt is a dedicated football and Formula 1 fan and brings a wealth of knowledge and expertise in the sports. He has previously worked at PA Media, Manchester Evening News, Chronicle Live, Leeds Live and others covering the region's football clubs and sports stars. You can email him here: matt.hobkinson@dexerto.com