Jeremy Clarkson’s Bahrain GP interview goes viral for two reasons

Sean McCormick
Jeremy Clarkson

Formula One returned to action on Saturday as Max Verstappen started the defence of his F1 drivers championship by winning the Bahrain Grand Prix.

But while the actual race provided little in the way of surprises, Martin Brundle’s grid walk interviews always provide some entertainment off the track.

And Saturday’s race was no different as his interview with former Top Gear presenter Jeremy Clarkson went viral for two reasons.

“I spent all of today looking at the lap times from last year to this year, and wondering – what have they all been doing over the winter?” Clarkson said.

“The gaps, by and large, are the same. McLaren have gotten a lot better, they are much closer to Max. It’s a strange thing to go from one year to the next, and for so little to have changed.”

When asked who he thought would win the race, Clarkson flatly responded: “Adrian Newey.”

Newey, the chief technology officer of Red Bull racing, has been widely praised for producing another Red Bull car that looks likely to win another F1 championship.

And fans loved Clarkson’s blunt response as one tweeted: “Jeremy Clarkson saying he’s backing Adrian Newey to win is so real,” while another added: “Man knows wheel.”

Fans confused by Jeremy Clarkson’s voice

F1 fans were also left confused by Clarkson’s voice during the interview and took to social media to express their surprise.

One fan tweeted: “Is it just me, or does Jeremy Clarkson sound very different?” While another added: “Does Jeremy Clarkson sound different or am I just crazy?”

About The Author

Sean McCormick is the Sports Editor at Dexerto. He has a BA in Sports Journalism and over the last seven years has worked as a writer, reporter and an editor across titles such as Chronicle Live, Leeds Live and Manchester Evening News covering the region's football clubs and sports stars. Sean loves football, boxing, MMA, darts and NBA. You can email him here: sean.mccormick@dexerto.com