Formula E boss stuns Jermaine Jenas with $250k bet offer

Liam Corless
Jermaine Jenas interviewed the CEO of Formula E

The CEO of Formula E Jeff Dodds has vowed to donate $250,000 to charity if Max Verstappen fails to defend his Formula 1 world title this year.

Verstappen has won the last three Drivers’ Championships and is a heavy odds-on favourite to clinch a fourth in a row.

Testing for the new season began in Bahrain on Wednesday and Verstappen set the fastest lap time on day one of testing, before Red Bull teammate Sergio Perez did the same the following day.

The performances of the Red Bull pair were ominous for the chasing pack, with the constructors’ new car receiving early praise for the improvements that have been made in the off-season.

Dodds suggested that Formula E is much more interesting that Formula 1 because there are no overwhelming favourites in the sport.

In a TNT Sports interview with Jermaine Jenas, Dodds said: “99 per cent he (Verstappen) gets that trophy. If he doesn’t win it we’ll give a quarter of a million dollars to the charity of choice of the other driver that wins it.

“It wouldn’t be the worst day in the office to give a load of money to charity but absolutely he (Verstappen) is nailed on to win that season.

“I know I’m going to turn up to Sao Paulo (the location for the next Formula E race) and neither of us have any idea who’s going to win that race, so I’m excited by that.

“I know as an F1 fan, I absolutely already know who’s winning. You can’t win 19 out of 21 races in one season, come back after a bit of development on the cars, and not win the next one. I just can’t see it.”

About The Author

Liam has 10 years' experience in journalism, having previously operated as the Manchester Evening News' associate football editor, and as an editor for the Daily Mirror, the Daily Express and the Daily Star.