Sources: compLexity in discussions with 15-year-old CS:GO talent oBo - Dexerto
CS:GO

Sources: compLexity in discussions with 15-year-old CS:GO talent oBo

Published: 15/Mar/2019 19:22 Updated: 15/Mar/2019 19:27

by Jarek "DeKay" Lewis

Share


Fifteen year-old American Counter-Strike player Owen “oBo” Schlatter is in discussions with compLexity Gaming, according to multiple sources close to the organization.

Dexerto has been informed that if the two sides come to an agreement, oBo will not join the active lineup immediately. Due to the sixteen year-old age restriction of ESL Pro League, oBo is unable to compete in Season 9 next month.

His birthday is June 26th, meaning the season will have finished by the time he is eligible. If he were to join the active compLexity lineup and they simultaneously retain their spot, he would then be eligible to compete in Season 10.

compLexitycompLexity took a new-look roster into the IEM Katowice Major.

compLexity finished in 9th place in Season 8 of ESL Pro League, which was enough to qualify them for Season 9 and avoid having to play relegation. 

They had a similar finish of 7th place in Season 6 of ECS North America, which also qualified them for the upcoming season.

At ESL One: Katowice 2019 Major last month, they were unable match their top-eight finish from the FACEIT Major: London and exited in the New Legends Stage.

oBo has little to no experience playing on a consistent five-man lineup but has made a name for himself in FACEIT Pro League: North America. 

Since being promoted from FACEIT Pro League Challenger in early 2018, he has won multiple weeks of the league.

CS:GO

ForZe under fire for signing CSGO coach implicated in cheating scandal

Published: 24/Oct/2020 21:30

by Alan Bernal

Share


Russian esports org forZe are facing backlash for signing former Hard Legion coach Aleksandr ‘zoneR⁠’ Bogatiryev, who was banned by ESL for abusing a coaching bug that was found to compromise competitive CS:GO matches.

After the initial wave of backlash, forZe clarified that zoneR was brought on for a “testing coach period” to the ‘forZe School,’ a project that teaches and develops emerging CSGO talent. They do not recognize the forZe School as an academy team and said its not affiliated with the main roster.

“Zoner has made a big shameful mistake but we’ve decided to give him a second chance as he’s still a well-experienced coach,” forZe wrote in a statement. His work with the school will be conducted under supervision with the team’s management.

Despite org CEO Sergey ‘MegioN’ Ignatko’s optimism for the signing, debacles within the CSGO competitive landscape in the last year created a perfect storm for doubt on the deal.

“Not the smartest brand development choice, forZe have a lot of lovable characters and their storyline is exciting,” esports host and commentator Alex ‘MACHINE’ Richardson said. “Would be a shame to see an ill-thought out decision damage their reputation or fan base.”

Moreover, people are concerned that the org would position young, impressionable players to work with a person who was found cheating.

“This has to be a joke, right?” FaZe Clan coach Janko ‘YNk’ Paunovic said. “The most blatant cheater in coaching is supposed to set an example for young players? My mind is blown, absolutely disgraceful from forZe.”

On September 1, Hard Legion announced they were parting ways with zoneR, who went by the in-game name ‘MechanoGun’ at the time, following ESL’s decision to ban him as well as two other coaches after an investigation found them guilty of using a coach’s spectating bug.

ESIC csgo coach bug ban
ESIC
ZoneR, listed here as ‘MechanoGun,’ was given a 36-month ban after ESIC found 16 cases of using the coaching bug.

It was initially decided that zoneR would be banned for 24 months from playing or coaching in ESL or DreamHack events. ESL later upgraded his ban to 36 months after the Esports Integrity Commission (ESIC) concluded their investigation of the bug’s abuse.

Of the 37 CSGO coaches found cheating, zoneR’s three-year ban was the longest penalty issued by far. He was found of using the bug in 16 cases, and had “Tier 1 Aggravated” sanctions levied against him.

This comes at a sensitive time for the CSGO community, who have been anxiously awaiting any further reaction from Valve on the coaching scandal. Some are worried the publisher might create bigger consequences or tweak team structures to prevent it from happening again in the future.

“If Valve removes coaching it’ll be because of some BULL**** like this,” CSGO commentator and BOXR CEO, Mohan ‘launders’ Govindasamy, said.

A similar concern sprouted when CSGO teams whose coaches were implicated in ESIC’s findings were simply demoted from the position to an analyst role; thereby using a loophole to keep working with the team.

ForZe will monitor their partnership with zoneR for the time being, but said they could part ways with him after the testing phase for his position has concluded.