Star Wars Visions Season 2: Release date, trailer, studios, cast, plot, more
Here’s everything we know about Star Wars Visions Season 2, the second volume of the Star Wars anthology series, from its release date to cast, plot, studios, trailer updates, and more.
Once upon a time, the galaxy far, far away was localized entirely in three movies. Then came the comics, prequels, sequels, spinoffs, games, and more – Star Wars is now one of the most sprawling franchises in all of pop culture.
So, here’s everything we know about Star Wars Visions Season 2 so far, including its release date, cast, plot, and more.
Star Wars Visions Season 2 release date: When is Volume 2 coming out?
Star Wars Visions Volume 2 will premiere on Disney+ on May 4, 2023.
Of course, this is better known as Star Wars Day – May the 4th Be With You.
Season 2 was announced by Lucasfilm during last year’s Star Wars Celebration, confirming the series would return for Volume 2 in Spring 2023.
James Waugh, the studio’s SVP of franchise content and strategy, said: “It’s going to be a celebration of the incredible animation happening all around the globe.”
Star Wars Visions Season 2 studios: Who’s working on Volume 2?
Star Wars Visions Season 2 will have a total of nine episodes created by the following studios:
- El Guiri (Spain)
- Cartoon Saloon (Ireland)
- Punkrobot (Chile)
- Aardman (United Kingdom)
- Studio Mir (South Korea)
- Studio La Cachette (France)
- 88 Pictures (India)
- D’art Shtajio (Japan)
- Triggerfish (South Africa)
Cartoon Saloon is the animation studio behind The Secret of Kells, Song of the Sea, The Breadwinner and Wolfwalkers, all of which were nominated for Best Animated Feature at the Oscars.
As per a press release, D’Art Shtajio’s short was created in collaboration with Lucasfilm Ltd.
The name that’ll catch most people’s eyes is Aardman, best known for creating Chicken Run and Wallace and Gromit. Its episode is titled ‘I Am Your Mother’ and will be directed by Magdalena Osinska.
Speaking about the response to the first volume of Visions, Waugh said: “The reaction to the first volume of Star Wars: Visions blew us away. We were delighted that this project inspired and resonated with so many people.
“We always saw Star Wars: Visions as a framework for celebratory expressions of the franchise from some of the best creators working today. Animation is in a global renaissance, and we’re constantly staggered by the amount of creativity pushing the medium forward.
“With Volume 1, the imaginative minds of Japan’s anime industry were on full display. With Volume 2, we expanded our canvas to take audiences on a global tour of some of the most talented creators from around the world.
“We’re so proud to be able to reveal the line-up of studios we’ve assembled. Every short is incredible, full of heart, scope, imagination, and the values that make stories distinctly Star Wars — all while opening up bold new ways of seeing what a Star Wars story can be.”
Star Wars Visions Season 2 cast
Below you’ll find the cast, studios, and directors involved in Star Wars Visions Season 2:
|Sith||El Guiri||Úrsula Corberó, Luis Tosar||Rodrigo Blaas|
|Screecher’s Reach||Cartoon Saloon||Alex Connolly, Anjelica Huston, Eva Whitaker, Molly McCann, Niamh Moyles, Noah Rafferty||Paul Young|
|In the Stars||Punkrobot||Amparo Noguera, Julia Oviedo, Kate Dickie, Valentina Muhr||Gabriel Osorio|
|I Am Your Mother||Aardman||Bebe Cave, Charithra Chandran, Denis Lawson, Maxine Peak||Magdalena Osinska|
|Journey to the Dark Head||Studio Mir||Choi Soo Min, Chwang Kwang, Jang Ye Na, Lee Kyung Taei, Lee So Young, Lim Chae Hon, Shin Young Woo, Yun Yong Sik||Hyeong Geun Park|
|The Spy Dancer||Studio La Cachette||Barbara Weber, Bruce Edward Sheffield, Camille Cottin, Kaycie Chase, Lambert Wilson, Rudi James Jephcott||Julien Chheng|
|The Bandits of Golak||88 Pictures||Lillete Dubey, Neeraj Kabi, Rajeev Raj, Sonal Kushal, Sumanto Ray||Ishan Shukla|
|The Pit||D’art Shtajio and Lucasfilm Ltd.||Anika Noni Rose, Cedric Yarbrough, Daveed Diggs, Jordyn Curet, Steven Jay Blum||LeAndre Thomas and Justin Ridge|
|Aau’s Song||Triggerfish||Cynthia Erivo, Dineo Du Toti, Faith Baloyi, Milo Jantjie, Tumisho Masha||Nadia Darries and Daniel Clarke|
‘Journey to the Dark Head’ will also have an English dubbed cast, which includes: Albert Kong, Ashley Park, Daniel Dae Kim, Eugene Lee Yang, Greg Chun, Jonella Landry, Judy Alice Lee.
Star Wars Visions Season 2 plot: What is it about?
As Star Wars Visions is an anthology series, each episode will follow its own separate plot, with a “broad palette” of stories.
Below you can find the each synopsis for the different episodes:
- ‘Sith’ – A former Sith apprentice, leading a peaceful, but isolated life, is confronted by the past when her old master tracks her down.
- ‘Screecher’s Reach’ – A young girl, seeking reprieve from her days in a rural workhouse, discovers a legendary haunted cave with her friends. The cave’s dark pull will change the trajectory of her life forever.
- ‘In the Stars’ – Two sisters, the last of their kind who live in hiding on their ravaged land, squabble about how to survive with the Empire encroaching. On a water run, the sisters must fight back when they are discovered.
- ‘I Am Your Mother’ – Young pilot Anni, who is embarrassed by her sweet, but clingy mum, must team with her for a madcap family race at the academy. Along the way, their relationship is tested by the elements, their old ship, other racers… and each other!
- ‘Journey to the Dark Head’ – A hopeful mechanic and disillusioned young Jedi team up for a risky and unlikely quest to turn the tide of the galactic war, but dark forces tail them.
- ‘The Spy Dancer’ – The premier dancer at a famous, Imperial-frequented cabaret uses her unique skill-set to spy for the Rebellion, but the presence of a mysterious officer threatens to derail her mission.
- ‘The Bandits of Golak’ – Fleeing from their village by train and pursued by ferocious Imperial forces, a boy and his force-sensitive younger sister seek refuge in a vibrant and dangerous dhaba.
- ‘The Pit’ – A fearless young prisoner, forced to dig for kyber by the Empire, plans a risky escape for he and his people.
- ‘Aau’s Song’ – An alien child who longs to sing is raised by her loving, but stern father to stay quiet because of the calamitous effect her voice has on the crystals in the nearby mines.
Speaking to Deadline, Waugh explained: “The first anthology is anime because we all loved the style of it, but personally my intention for Visions was to always let it be a more broad palette, because there’s so much great animation work going on in the world.
“There’s so many interesting voices in all sorts of other mediums that are really focused on animation right now. And we really wanted it to be, in a way, a ‘sub-brand’ that allowed for different creators to come celebrate Star Wars from their own unique cultural perspective.
“And so Visions Volume 2 is sort of a global tour of some of the most interesting animation studios on a global level… and the guiding light there was that we wanted their storytelling to be a reflection of what Star Wars meant in their culture, but also a reflection of the myths and stories that could only come out of their cultural context.”
Is there a Star Wars Visions Season 2 trailer?
Yes, there’s a trailer for Star Wars Visions Season 2, and you can check it out below:
That’s everything we know about Star Wars Visions Season 2 right now. In the meantime, check out our other Star Wars hubs below: