PUBG update Xbox #8 and PS4 #5 is coming on June 27 as the update finally brings weapon mastery to console, a new controller preset, long-awaited Erangel changes, and much more.
Finally, weapon mastery
The introduction of weapon mastery finally saw a progression system enter the fray in PUBG and now console players can experience it too.
As the name suggests, the progression is based on weapon usage whereby you will gain XP by getting kills, headshots, and so forth with particular weapons. This will result in your level increasing.
Weapon mastery gives you an incentive to use multiple guns...
There are 100 levels to progress through for each weapon and the system will run outside of seasons, meaning a new season won't reset stats.
New controls for those who lean
PUBG console players have become accustomed to using L3 and R3 to lean - a mechanic which is vital if you're to be a top player. Some players find it difficult to utilize leaning without turning or strafing, though.
When using controller preset type C, you can now lean using L1 and R1...
Controller preset type C has also been introduced to the game. This will change leaning to L1 and R1, a setup players may find more natural.
However, this does come with the drawback of over the shoulder aiming being removed. So, if you're a player that often uses hip-fire while slowing down your scope, you might want to think twice before changing over to type C.
Erangel featured map
The general consensus seems to be, despite it being the oldest, that Erangel is the most popular map. Encourages gun-fights with its vast open fields, it still remains a fan favorite even after the introduction of Mirimar, Sanhok and Vikendi.
Xbox update #8 and PS4 update #5 sees the changes already on PC come to console. Alongside it being a featured map, the loot re-balance is also coming. Full details can be found in the patch notes, but the overall items spawned has increased by roughly 28%.
Vikendi has also undergone a loot re-balance and those details also highlighted in the patch notes.
Erangel, along with its loot re-balance, is now the PUBG featured map...
Auto-equip - less time in inventory
PUBG players are used to picking up attachments and going into the inventory to apply them. Yet, that's no longer needed.
Various settings have been added to the game that will allow you to auto-equip attachments upon picking them up. In addition to this the settings allow you to distinguish between gun attachments and scopes which will prevent jumping into battle with an unwanted 8x scope. Full patch notes can be found below.
Equipping attachments just got a whole lot easier...
Xbox #8 PS4 #5 patch notes
- New Progression System
- Weapon Mastery is a new progression system where players can increase levels by gaining weapon XP based on players’ weapon use.
- It operates all the time without being affected by seasons.
- Weapon Mastery offers 100 levels for players to achieve per weapon.
- In the lobby, players can check their weapon use information, last match results, and the rewards they acquired thus far through the newly created Mastery tab.
- Weapon Mastery Rewards
- There are three types of Weapon Mastery rewards. These rewards can only be acquired through Mastery achievement.
- Charms are accessories that can be equipped to weapons.
- New charm can achieved at every five levels of progression per weapon.
- Charms can be used with any weapon skins.
- Medals highlight awesome accomplishments players perform with their weapons.
- Each medal can be earned multiple times. There is even a counter that tracks how many medals have been achieved.
- Tier Emblems
- Players can earn emblems equivalent to their level brackets achieved per each weapon.
- Up to 10 tiers can be achieved.
- How to earn Weapon XP
- Weapon XP is earned when one or more of the following elements is satisfied during a match.
- Defeats is a new term used for tracking actions that includes knockdowns, killing the last member of a team and killing solo players.
- You can acquire extra weapon XP based on distance of defeats.
- When earning Weapon XP, the amount received will increase based on how long you survived.
- Defeats follow the existing judgment rules for DBNO/Kills currently used in the game.
- Additional information:
- Weapon Mastery does not count friendly fire/team damage.
- Weapon Mastery does not count downs caused by road kills or environmental factors (blue zone, red zone, fall damage, or drowning).
- Weapon Mastery does not count throwables or melee damage.
- Total defeats for each weapon can be found on the Weapons tab under Mastery.
- There is a maximum limit on each weapon that can be getting weapon XP.
Controller Preset: Type C
- Added a new Controller preset, Type C
- Preset settings can be changed in the menus labeled Configuration - Control - Controller Preset
- The new preset is more suitable for thumb - index finger - middle finger control
- Compared to Preset A or B, Preset C is for players that utilize leaning and combat strategies heavily
- Preset C does not have the Aim (over the shoulder) key
- Leaning can be used by pressing LB or RB key
- Leaning was separated from the analog sticks to avoid disrupting the aim or movement
- The key to equip sidearm has been changed to double tap Y for a quicker change in dynamic battles
- For other changes, please see the in-game Controller Guide
- A word from our dev team:
- Controller preset C is designed to make a battle focused preset, so players would have minimum difficulty when moving, aiming, leaning or firing during combat by making them all independent.
- Preset C omitted the less commonly used key (in this case, AIM down the shoulder) and tried to avoid the loss in response time of ADS or distraction to combat.
- We will be adding customization options to all presets (A, B and C) allowing some key settings to be added/altered. We’re looking forward to hearing your feedback.
Auto Equip Attachments
- Added Auto Equip Attachments options to Configuration - Gameplay
- Three options available: Auto Equip Attachments, Auto Equip Scope and Auto Replace Attachments
- Auto Equip Attachments
- An attachment will be automatically equipped on an active weapon upon pick up, if equipable
- If unequipable, the attachment will be equipped to the next available weapon (Primary 1 → Primary 2 → Sidearm order)
- If none of the weapons can equip the picked up attachment it will go into the inventory
- Auto Equip Scope
- Scope type attachments are given three different settings to reduce unexpected situations during combat
- Setting - Off
- Scope type attachments will not automatically equip and will go into the inventory instead
- Attachments cannot be picked up if there is no free space in the inventory
- Setting - Sight Only
- Only sight type attachments (Red Dot, Hologram Sight, and Canted Sight) will be automatically equipped
- Attachments cannot be picked up if there is no free space in the inventory
- Setting - All
- All scopes will be automatically equipped
- Attachments cannot be picked up if there is no free space in the inventory
- Setting - Auto Replace Attachments
- When replacing the weapon you are holding onto a different weapon by holding X key, compatible attachments will automatically be equipped onto a new weapon
- Incompatible ones will go into the inventory
- Attachments will be dropped if there is no free space in the inventory
- The Featured map has been rotated from Sanhok to Erangel
Erangel 2nd Loot Rebalance
- The total amount of items spawned in Erangel has been increased by approximately 28%.
- Increased the overall amount of items spawned, especially the spawn rates of those higher priority items.
- Spawn rate of AR has been increased by approx 64%.
- Spawn rate of DMR has been increased by approx 114%.
- Spawn rate of SR has been increased by approx 177%.
- Spawn rates of equipment and armor have been slightly increased, especially level 2.
- Spawn rates of healing items have been slightly increased.
Open/Close Doors Animation Improvement
- Improved the algorithm to determine when vehicles are blocking doors, preventing them from opening or closing.
- You can no longer check your mission list while in the starting area or in the plane using LB
- You can still check the mission list from the System Menu
New Parachute Gauge
- The parachute UI has been improved with more visibility and divided into two gauges, one for current speed and the other a more detailed altitude reading.
- Improved teammate status UI
- An icon has been added to show when teammates are freefalling from the plane.
- Teammates’ status icons during the parachuting phase which were previously only shown on the map, are now also shown at the bottom left of the screen alongside the other teammate UI.
Tactical Map Marker
- Added new Tactical Map Markers with 6 different marker types for different situations (Attack, Danger, Defend, Loot, Regroup, Vehicle).
- To use the markers, open the world map and hold R-STICK to reveal the Tactical Map Marker wheel, then move to the desired icon then click R-STICK.
- Clicking R-STICK without selecting any marker type will place a standard marker.
- Each player can only place one Tactical Map Marker or Standard marker at a time.
- Tactical Map Markers will be shown on the world map, minimap, and compass in the same way as the existing map markers.
Throwables Crosshair Improvement
- Added new crosshair when using throwables to easily identify the use of overarm or underarm throwing stance.
Vikendi 2nd Loot Rebalance
With this update we made Vikendi a more balanced sniper haven with increased long guns and the addition of the MK47 Mutant for that extra burst of firepower. Getting through all those snipers will be a bit easier with better cover, which the extra 4-wheel drive vehicles will provide better than snowbikes. Read on for more details about the Vikendi rebalance.
- Blue zone adjustments
- To support a wider variety of gameplay experiences around Vikendi, the initial safe zone will now be placed in more varied locations and the waiting time between certain blue zone phases has been reduced.
- Phase 1 safe zone now spawns in more varied locations.
- Waiting time between early and late blue zone phases has been decreased slightly.
- Overall match duration subsequently reduced by 1 minute and 30 seconds.
- Vehicle spawn rate adjustment
- Vehicle spawn rate has been changed to facilitate the new blue zone settings.
- Increased four-wheel drive vehicle spawn ratio in relation to Snowbikes and Snowmobiles.
- Item spawn rate adjustment
- We have adjusted weapon spawn rates to help facilitate more medium and long-range engagements. Adjustments to available attachments have also been made to offer players more options.
- Adjustments to item spawns on Vikendi:
- AR spawns increased by 1.4x
- DMR spawns increased by 2x
- SR spawns increased by 7x
- SMG, Shotgun, Pistol Crossbow and spawns have been decreased slightly.
- Attachment spawns have been increased slightly.
- High powered scope spawns have been increased slightly.
- Cave balance adjustment
- Since the Secret Cave is no longer much of a secret, we have adjusted the loot within to balance it more closely to other areas of Vikendi to improve the gameplay experience, while still offering good loot.
- Care Packages will no-longer spawn in the cave.
- High quality non-crate loot will still spawn in this location.
- Increased variety of items spawned in the cave.
- Item pool changes
- Added MK47 Mutant, Halfgrip, Thumbgrip and Laser Sight.
- Removed Win94 and R45.
- Increased Moonlight weather condition percentage.
Team UI Overhaul
- Teammates boost gauges are now in the team UI visible while playing to enhance team play.
Font Style Improvement
- Changed the font style to make capital letters 'I' and 'L' more distinguishable
Flare Gun UI Improvement
- Changed the Flare Gun crosshair to display as a circle when aiming at the correct position to successfully call in a Special Care Package or Armored UAZ.
- Adjusted the Flare Gun status UI displayed after calling in a Special Care Package or Armored UAZ.
- The green flashing light is now removed once the drop leaves the plane.
- Previously, it would remain until the drop had been on the ground for 30 seconds.
- Teammates outside of your immediate minimap area will now have their icon and status shown at the at the edge of the minimap. This will help more easily identify the direction and status of your teammates.
Weapon Preview Improvement
- Improved the weapon preview animation in the lobby
UI Improvement to Prevent Potential Unfair Advantage while Spectating
- If houses and other map objects aren’t completely loaded when spectating teammates, additional UI will now cover the screen to prevent seeing players that wouldn’t otherwise be seen.
- Once loading is complete, the additional UI will be removed.
Spectator Screen Improvement
- You can now report the spectating player by pressing Y button while on the spectator screen
- Added instructions to the Key Guide that you can leave the match by pressing B button
Network Latency HUD
- Added a Network Information function that can display Ping, connection speed, packets, and packet loss.
- This will be located in the top left of the screen.
- You can change the settings to On/Off at Settings > Gameplay > UI > Network debug statistics
- Optimized performance to decrease the time it takes to load into matches.
- We’ve now added more sounds for item interactions.
- Previously items were looted, dropped, equipped and unequipped, some items had the same sound effects regardless of the characteristics of each item. Sounds will now vary more between items.
- Added vehicle suspension sounds.
- Sounds of moving vehicles’ suspension working can now be heard.
- Different sounds will be played in different situations. Vehicles moving on rough terrain or when landing from a jump will make unique sounds.
- Suspension sound volume is different between TPP and FPP.
- Fixed an issue with some barbed wire fences blocking bullets.
- Fixed an issue where players are unable to pick up items that are placed under broken barbed wire fences.
- Fixed an issue where items spawned in inaccessible locations of Docks on Sanhok
- Fixed an issue where the player camera could pass through a specific wall at Paradise Resort on Sanhok while standing close to it.
- Fixed an issue which allowed grenades to be thrown through the underside of the parasols at Paradise Resort on Sanhok.
- Fixed an issue which prevented players from standing up after being prone under certain hut boardwalks on Sanhok.
- Fixed an issue where lighting effects could change abruptly on stone buildings with curved roofs on Sanhok.
- Fixed the issue with center screen DBNO and kill messages being delayed.
- Fixed the issue with interaction UI remaining in spectator screen when is killed during interaction UI activated.
- Fixed the issue with certain maneuver could prevent motorcycles from flipping.
- Fixed the issue where the character would continue moving when system menu was opened while driving or freefalling.
- Fixed an issue with different UAZ model variants having different maximum speeds.
- Fixed the issue with a frag grenade ground burn mark textures overlapping the player character’s model
- Fixed an issue where only one side of footsteps is output in certain situations.
- Fixed an issue which would remove player’s hair completely when equipping caps.
- Fixed a visual issue when punk knuckle gloves were equipped.
- Fixed a visual issue preventing belts from being visible when wearing a fur coat.
- Fixed an issue where character’s hair and face overlap when a female character equips specific hair styles and caps.
- Fixed a visual issue with shadows displaying incorrectly when swimming in FPP.
- Fixed an issue where players are unable to revive their teammates if casting UI freezes at 0 while reviving.
- Fixed an issue when using a scope and the character moves backward, the scope shakes.
- Fixed certain limb animations not playing while vaulting.
- Fixed an issue preventing the correct crosshair from being displayed after holstering a sidearm.
- Fixed an issue with Shirt (Plaid) icon not matching the in-game asset.
- Fixed a bug which prevented footsteps from being heard while walking over mud or water while wearing Harley Quinn Daddy’s Lil’ Monster Outfit
- Fixed an issue where weapons could sometimes become unusable after reconnecting to a game.
- Fixed a visual issue after reloading an M249 which could cause the magazine to float mid-air.
- Fixed an issue preventing vehicle missions from being completed with the Zima.
- Fixed an issue where players could take excessive damage or die when landing at specific locations.
- Fixed an issue where the screen would shake when ADS and leaning against a wall or the corner of objects.
- Fixed an issue where the game mode would sometimes change when making a team.
- Fixed an issue where some bullets could pass through a wall when firing in specific conditions
- Fixed an issue with a vehicle that slipped more than intended while driving.
- Fixed an issue which prevented healing items from being used when holding a weapon and performing an emote.
- Fixed an issue which allowed some unintended weapon types to be used from the back seat of an Aquarail.
- Fixed an issue where an error message is output when attempting to replace a cooked throwable with a throwable in the inventory.
- Grenades can no-longer be thrown through wire mesh (most notably, wire fences)
- Fixed an issue where players would sometimes appear to be moving in a falling motion